The right play?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a PStars SnG 10+1 late stages 5 people left. I'm 2nd in chips, behind by only 300 or so. On the button, i am dealt 8dAd. Blinds are 150/300

CO (who has been pretty predictable) min raises. I call, and both blinds fold. Heads up.

Flop comes 8h 6d 10s. Villian checks (which immidiately i put him on AK, and he missed) and i Bet the pot. Villian OVERBETS his entire stack as a reraise. Now, i have about 8k to his 5.5k Remaining. He's been VERY predictable thus far, so my first read screams AK. I strongly consider folding, but at the last possible second i call thinking "Min raise with AA or KK...doubtful..." Turns out he had AQ and missed his Q on the turn and river and he goes out in 5th place. I eventually go on to wint he 45$ first place after i hit trip 3s against AK that hit an ace. heads up.

My question really is against a predictable opponent was my call waranted, or should i have folded here?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you're that confident with your read, then of course!
If he's that predictable, then go ahead and call - lets see.. you've got 85% equity on the flop, so you're ahead 4:1 here.
Of course, you have to be very sure that your read is correct.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if I would have the balls to call a big bet with middle pair. Thats a tough call, and i'd hate to criple my entire stack on a longshot. Your read has to be perfect to make this play.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just remembered this:
during a 1/2 session, there was this one player (one of those guys who buys in for the minimum) and he was a tight, passive player.
I had been playing my typical tight-aggressive, continuation bet type poker, when he had caught on to my style, and decided that he would check raise me all in every time he called my PF raise. The only time he led out was when he held TPTK or better to protect his hand.
For the first 3 hands, i hadn't caught anything, but made my usual ~1/2 pot C-bet and he just pushed right in! My continuation bet was usually about $10 (my $8 + his $8 call + one or two BBs from blinds). He decided that i just couldn't call his bets and that since his rags hit (or sometimes i'm sure he was pushing with either an underpair or A-high), the only way i'd call was if i'd had a big PP or had hit the flop hard and that he'd win many pots from me by doing this. He did this a couple times with big pairs on the flop (xJJ or xQQ) when i held a big ace that didn't hit.
Anyways one hand after all this, I raised the blinds with a typical play with A8suited. The flop came something like 8T2 (2 spades), giving me 2nd pair. He checked and after i C-bet, he raised all in (surprise surprise!).
I immediately put him on a draw, most likely being the flush draw.
He could have 9Ts which was the favourite over me, but that was unlikely.
Anyways i ended up calling because i had a very good read on him, and played accordingly to that. I called his $50+ raise all in, and he turned over 7d6d for a naked open ender...
I would never had made this call had it not been for my read on him, and his past play from previous hands.
Sometimes your reads can be the difference between decisions and thats why its so important to pay attention to players' styles and tendencies.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Styrofoam said:
In a PStars SnG 10+1 late stages 5 people left. I'm 2nd in chips, behind by only 300 or so. On the button, i am dealt 8dAd. Blinds are 150/300

CO (who has been pretty predictable) min raises. I call, and both blinds fold. Heads up.

Flop comes 8h 6d 10s. Villian checks (which immidiately i put him on AK, and he missed) and i Bet the pot. Villian OVERBETS his entire stack as a reraise. Now, i have about 8k to his 5.5k Remaining. He's been VERY predictable thus far, so my first read screams AK. I strongly consider folding, but at the last possible second i call thinking "Min raise with AA or KK...doubtful..." Turns out he had AQ and missed his Q on the turn and river and he goes out in 5th place. I eventually go on to wint he 45$ first place after i hit trip 3s against AK that hit an ace. heads up.

My question really is against a predictable opponent was my call waranted, or should i have folded here?

It was a good read. You shouldn't fold if your instincts tell you that your ahead in the hand. Sometimes instincts are more important in your play than odds. Good Job!