Raisee before you play your hand

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, this happened to me earlier and I want your opinions on it.
Early stages of a $2 MTT. Villain is loose agressive, with 5000 chips, blinds are 30/60. I have 2000 chips. Villain is UTG. He raises it to 120 to go. I'm sat in mid-position with 2 Jacks.(My standard play with 2 Jacks MP is between 3 to 5 times the BIg Blind). Now, I'm thinking this guy is at least holding a picture card, maybe an ace.Because of this I flat call. Flop comes 962 rainbow. Me and him are the only two in it. He bets 240, I call. Turn is 4. He goes all-in. I'm thinking, I've got a shot of doubling up, so I call. He turns over 35 suited for the straight, I'm walking away before the river, knowing I screwed up. Should I have reraised PF( i think I know the answer here!), and if so, by how much? With hindsight(beautiful thing, hindsight) I should have bet him off the hand, but I really didnt have a clue about what he had, apart from a good(if wrong) feeling they were high cards.
Love to hear your views on this!

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the reraise prelop, well kinda(loose players scare me). but that's not the play that grabs me... its the call on the turn, you believe he has 2 over cards right? in that you beilive he's making a move, stick it too him right there, all in. this makes any two over cards second guess thems selves and any pisspoor draw( how can anone put him on this) dumb dumb dumby dumb dumb to call. the only hands that can instantly call you is tens or better.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm OK with the flat call PF, but what I don't like is the flat call after the flop. Re-raise here. This is your best time, because it's a very safe board for you. I think this is where you made your mistake. Your turn play is a moot point, because he has you beat there.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely raise the flop. Some will say re-raise pre-flop, some will say the call is fine, but what's more important than that, in my opinion, is that you raise that flop. If the turn is an A or K, all the sudden you're going to be scared to bet. Making a big raise on the flop and taking it down right there wouldn't be a bad thing. Although 2 overcards seems more likely, the best drawing hand he could possibly have is 78 for the open-ended straight. I'd raise at least 400 more chips (by my count there's approximately 600 chips in at this point), or maybe the whole pot. You could even push here, but you don't know for sure that he doesn't have QQ KK or AA. If he's drawing and he calls that, then he's just an idiot, because you're strongly not giving him odds, and there's not much you can do but hope he doesn't get lucky.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise PF is important, but raising the flop is even more important. The only hands that can beat you on the flop (this is a $2 tourney, so possibilities are more open) are 66 22 99 aa kk qq. I don't see him leading with the first three, and you need to narrow down what he's got. Raise for info!

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man turn doesn't say flop. my bad if you read my post it should say raise flop. reading it that way even makes sense sry guys

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to ~350 preflop to ideally (a) get HU with position on captain laggy, or (b) get everyone including captain laggy to fold.

If checked to on the flop I'll bet about half pot, if he makes a reasonable bet I probably push considering reads, though I don't like it.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info guys, thats what I wanted. I knew I had played that hand wrong, and had a good feeling it was PF more than the flop. Its easy to see now that I should have reraised to get him out of the hand, and if it didnt happen there, then to try bet him out on the flop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands