QQ EARLY IN TOURNAMENT

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had QQ earlier in a turbo on stars. I raised pre from cut off. Dealer calls and bb calls. Flop 345 with two clubs. I bet 60% pot , dealer calls and bb goes all in. This was a massive bet cos we were only after starting. I folded and the dealer called with tp and won. All in clown had fd. Do you think I was right. I just didn't want to risk the tournament on it. Maybe I'm wrong but not sure. Thanks for any help.

J

jmunzz1116

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me personally have a very hard time laying down those kinds of hands but then again I am not a great player. If you aren't comfortable going out in a tournament very early then you made the right call because this is poker and you can get smacked up at almost any point. It's easier to know what you should have done after the hand figuring out the correct call during live play is what makes the great's great.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have probably called the shove specially because in turbo tournaments its very important to get a good chipstack as soon as possible because blinds will eat your stack very quickly and with a pair of queens with no ace or king on the flop i think calling is the right option here.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have probably called the shove specially because in turbo tournaments its very important to get a good chipstack as soon as possible because blinds will eat your stack very quickly and with a pair of queens with no ace or king on the flop i think calling is the right option here.

I never thought it was important to get chips early in turbos. I was staying out of playing most hands early. Waiting for antes to kick in before really playing but I'll have a think about what you're saying. 👍. Thanks.

bahajan

bahajan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the Turbo tournaments, I agree that the main thing to remain in game but if not to gather additionally that to the final of a blenda will simply eat

StuffBarnaul

StuffBarnaul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If buy-in was small or free, I should call. Mostly often in the beginning of tour players plays with a poor hole cards.

JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming the stakes were micro/medium and/or it was an STT, then I believe the call/reshove is profitable in the long term, given how much is in the pot vs. stack sizes, and you're position (2nd to act), you can protect your equity with the reshove and hope to chip up off of lower pockets, A3-5, flush draws (given 2 suits), etc. I believe you are ahead of more than 50% of early shover's range, which is enough to call and then some, even with the risk that the LP has a strong hand. It is more than likely a profitable call, but that doesn't mean you should make it, because early stages in a tourney should be minor chip ups and only jamming on primos.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming the stakes were micro/medium and/or it was an STT, then I believe the call/reshove is profitable in the long term, given how much is in the pot vs. stack sizes, and you're position (2nd to act), you can protect your equity with the reshove and hope to chip up off of lower pockets, A3-5, flush draws (given 2 suits), etc. I believe you are ahead of more than 50% of early shover's range, which is enough to call and then some, even with the risk that the LP has a strong hand. It is more than likely a profitable call, but that doesn't mean you should make it, because early stages in a tourney should be minor chip ups and only jamming on primos.

Yeah that's what I was thinking at the time. Only primos and don't risk tournament life if not sure but I guess you're right in saying I'm ahead more than 50% so I probably should have called.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, really sick spot.
Depending of the stack sizes and odds I get I would make my decision - maybe still fold it ,especially this early into the tournament with little or none info regarding my opponents.
But couldnt argue against call also.
Sick spot really :D

Y

YtM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would of shoved after the flop. Personally I do not give new players to me the respect until they deserve it. The only hands better than yours preflop would of reraised you (kk,aa,ak) so I would feel pretty confident with a shove myself after the flop.

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a bad climb on your side by side but it was good because you have the highest pair on the board.

C

cory3333

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a call , some players like to get aggro at the start of tourneys to scare people away in future pots i think

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Since you didn't shove pre, and considering the wet flop, I think folding was the right move unless it was a low stake in which you would chip up or bust !

P

PokerRex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep this as a rule, and your losses will come down substantially: Anything above pocket jacks should be played by going all in. Period.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When in doubt, it is better to fold before the flop or all in.

P

peowulf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny thing, I just doubled up early with QQ, but it was a fairly easy decision because this guy kept pushing all in. Sure enough, he had 77 and I beat him.
Paying attention to your opponents on the table is pretty important.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really need to have stack sizes, blinds, detail of pre-flop action, etc to give proper analysis on hero play.

On a different note am not sure why you think the BB going all in was a clown. This could be viewed as a post flop squeeze play which induced hero to fold the best hand and got a questionable call from the button. Not necessarily saying it was the right play but train of thought may have been that he is 36% to hit his flush by the river so has to, at least, call the flop but, if he does and misses on the turn he should be folding. So, he shoves and either picks up the pot there and then or gets the full value of his 36%. Incidentally if he has Kc he will have basically the same equity as QQ and if he has Ac then he is the statistical favourite.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep this as a rule, and your losses will come down substantially: Anything above pocket jacks should be played by going all in. Period.

How to lose value from your monsters in one easy step. Period.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
That, plus he forgets about getting called with higher pair !

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

All in when I have 150 BBs. Never.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really need to have stack sizes, blinds, detail of pre-flop action, etc to give proper analysis on hero play.

On a different note am not sure why you think the BB going all in was a clown. This could be viewed as a post flop squeeze play which induced hero to fold the best hand and got a questionable call from the button. Not necessarily saying it was the right play but train of thought may have been that he is 36% to hit his flush by the river so has to, at least, call the flop but, if he does and misses on the turn he should be folding. So, he shoves and either picks up the pot there and then or gets the full value of his 36%. Incidentally if he has Kc he will have basically the same equity as QQ and if he has Ac then he is the statistical favourite.

He was a clown cos he pushed about 80 BBs into around 15. IT polarised him to draw of bluff. Either way it's crazy to play like this. Thanks for replying 👍