QJs flops top pair + straight draw vs huge flop overbet shove and call

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you guys have made the same decision?

pokerstars Game #20984720011: Tournament #111306806, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2008/10/06 19:12:43 ET
Table '111306806 2688' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: dami182 (1100 in chips)
Seat 2: dragonwolf2 (1630 in chips)
Seat 3: Trapper_slik (1440 in chips)
Seat 4: donnywan (2120 in chips)
Seat 5: oliverstail (2820 in chips)
Seat 6: gskowal (1265 in chips)
Seat 7: Aimerdinero (1435 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: fIush (1425 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: MarioAugusto (1425 in chips) is sitting out
dami182: posts small blind 15
dragonwolf2: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to gskowal [Jh Qd]
Trapper_slik: calls 30
donnywan: calls 30
oliverstail: folds
gskowal: calls 30
Aimerdinero: folds
fIush: folds
MarioAugusto: folds
dami182: calls 15
dragonwolf2: checks
*** FLOP *** [Js Td 9s]
dami182: bets 1070 and is all-in
dragonwolf2: raises 530 to 1600 and is all-in
Trapper_slik: calls 1410 and is all-in
donnywan: calls 1600
gskowal: folds
*** TURN *** [Js Td 9s] [Ts]
*** RIVER *** [Js Td 9s Ts] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
dragonwolf2: shows [7c 8s] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
donnywan: shows [As 6s] (a flush, Ace high)
donnywan collected 380 from side pot-2
Trapper_slik: shows [Th Jc] (a full house, Tens full of Jacks)
Trapper_slik collected 1020 from side pot-1
dami182: shows [Jd 9c] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
Trapper_slik collected 4430 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5830 Main pot 4430. Side pot-1 1020. Side pot-2 380. | Rake 0
Board [Js Td 9s Ts Kh]
Seat 1: dami182 (small blind) showed [Jd 9c] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Tens
Seat 2: dragonwolf2 (big blind) showed [7c 8s] and lost with a straight, Seven to Jack
Seat 3: Trapper_slik showed [Th Jc] and won (5450) with a full house, Tens full of Jacks
Seat 4: donnywan showed [As 6s] and won (380) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 5: oliverstail folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: gskowal folded on the Flop
Seat 7: Aimerdinero folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: fIush folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: MarioAugusto (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a bad call preflop and post flop I think it was a bad call that early but in a freeroll I might have gambled too.

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multiple post.. same situation ???

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have folded pre
really the hands i play preflop with early limpers are hands im gonna raise with.
if it was folded 2 you i might have raised pre. depending on if the game was tight or not, apparently it wasnt.

uvrayz

uvrayz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you save your hands to pst them like that

sandbender

sandbender

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree about folding pre-flop. If you're going to fold my favorite hand, what are you going to call/raise with? Just AA, KK, AK?

JQs has great odds against almost any hand. I think you should have raised pre-flop. You were in great position, with a great hand, lotsa limpers - perfect situation for that hand.

Post flop, sure, I probably would fold once the flush draw was out there, and the maniacs running wild, but I bet if you'd bumped it substantially pre-flop, Dami & DragonDonkey probably wouldn't have called, then wouldn't have gone all-in, then...?

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree about folding pre-flop. If you're going to fold my favorite hand, what are you going to call/raise with? Just AA, KK, AK?

JQs has great odds against almost any hand. I think you should have raised pre-flop. You were in great position, with a great hand, lotsa limpers - perfect situation for that hand.

Post flop, sure, I probably would fold once the flush draw was out there, and the maniacs running wild, but I bet if you'd bumped it substantially pre-flop, Dami & DragonDonkey probably wouldn't have called, then wouldn't have gone all-in, then...?

Plain and simple, playing a mediocre hand, against numerous players, might as well go play roulette or blackjack. JQ offsuit is not a good hand

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

a) it was offsuit
b) wat? QJ is one of if not the most frequently dominated hand in raised pots. KJ, KQ, AJ, AQ, JJ, QQ, KK, AA all crush it. it tends to either win a smallish pot or lose a big-to-medium pot, aka it has reverse implied odds written all over it. it's good for stealing in LP and not a lot else

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*** FLOP *** [Js Td 9s]
dami182: bets 1070 and is all-in
dragonwolf2: raises 530 to 1600 and is all-in
Trapper_slik: calls 1410 and is all-in
donnywan: calls 1600
gskowal: folds

You have to call here with top pair plus open ended straight draw in my opinion. Yes, you are likely to be well behind, maybe even drawing dead, but you have a chance to quintuple up. Realistically, you have a very slim chance of winning these games when you start regardless of how well you play, and you've got an opportunity here to win a significant pot.

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

can we play HU ?

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a freeroll? so first i'd fold this hand preflop. So you didnt, you called, flop was good for you and you folded this postflop as we can see. Not bad to fold there, 4 people went all in, so usually your against a made straight, flushdraw(at freerolls) and if board pairs your going to lose, because someone usually has set or 2 pair.

Babynut

Babynut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you save your hands to pst them like that

Hey,
I think I can help a little. I saw a post thats been around longer than I have. Do a search on this site for "Screen shots for dummies" Its a good post for your question. Hope this helps.
bn

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
top pair and open ender? i might have called just because have how much juice was in the pot. If it was a real money i would have folded but i like to gamble more in freerolls.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made a good lay down this early in a game. Yea, you had 8 cards to fill your straight but I think you laid it down at the right time

L

Luckylmn3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if he did a monster raise to protect his hand against the draws it IS a freeroll tourny and he IS going to be up against gamblers so they would have called regardless.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A case could easily be made to Raise PF, or fold, or call this hand. Post flop, with TPGK your fold to the insanity shows some savvy, I'm not sure I could avoid the frenzy.

The important part about this hand, IMO, is that it is early in a FREEROLL!

You showed some major league juevos mucking your hand when you did, and I'm sure you're glad you did it.:D

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, out of curiousty, did you cash in the freeroll in the end?

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, out of curiousty, did you cash in the freeroll in the end?

Unfortunately i did not, i lost. I cant remember how i probably can dig in my saved hand history and let you know what knocked me out. Those freerolls are crazy. I tried my luck only because some of them are worth trying like this one. Beat Boris and the Million dollar man ones. But i dont play any other ones. The reason i folded is because i felt like with so much action on the flop that there must be someone who already made a killer hand and i`ll be drawing dead. So i figured yet the pot is huge but i did not want to risk it ( i know that in freerolls there are bunch of people calling allins with almost anything and any draws early in the tourney and they do get lucky, its more like gambling then skills).