Poorly played?

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I just recently suffered a loss in one of those 2,222 first depositor freerolls on pokerstars and i was wondering if i played the hand correctly:

8 People at the table; roughly 500 left in the tourney; average chip stack 4,700k and the blinds are at 100/200
Tell me if I am not giving enough hand analysis here. I closed the tourney down and can't get the hand history back up.

I am in late position with pocket 10's. Villan calls in middle position (no reads; he had just been moved to the table) and the rest fold to me. I 2.5 raise to 500 chips, leaving me with just over 2k remaining. Folds around to the big blind, who i have found to be very loose and reckless when playing (but she has over 8k in chips). She calls and the villan also calls the 500

Flop: 5 7 8 rainbow. BB checks, Villan Checks, Hero bets 900(leaving me 1100 left) into a pot of 1600. BB folds and Villan re-raises me to 1000. I re-raise him the extra 100 to put me all in and he calls
Turn: A
River: 8

I'll post the results later but i was wondering what (or how many mistakes I made here)

F

fivetwooffsuit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only problem i see here is the relatively weak preflop raise. Some people choose to play pocket 10s like a low pair and hope to hit a set (I find this strange), but if you're going to raise with 10s make it a bigger raise (at least 700). After the flop, I don't see any problem. I would guess that you're winning at this point as 1) I don't think anybody has a straight as they would not call 500 with a 69 or 46 and 2) I don't think anybody has a higher PP as they would most likely raise you all in preflop. Possibly, you ran into a lower PP hitting their set (77 or 88) but i find this unlikely. All in all, good play, i guess you got drawn out on?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your M for this hand is less than 7.5. that is the first thing you should be thinking about. You didn't state the villians stack size or reads just the BB's who folds. Anyway, by raising only 2.5 BB you are making it very cheap to call. The BB only has to call 1.5 BB for a chance at a pot of 5 BB, and the orginal caller will get even better odds. You have to raise more preflop - shoving in this spot is even fine as you will be increasing your stack for 2.5BB if everyone folds.

As played shove the flop, you don't have enough chips to get fancy and the pot is sizable by then.

W

wicked663

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with fivetwoofsuit that a bigger pre flop raise was warrented. But I would of end up with all my chips in the pot after that flop and the reraise too. What did he have A 8?

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I closed the tourney down and can't get the hand history back up.

I see it says your a new member. In case you don't know, you can save your hand history on your computer. On PS goto OPTIONS in main window or on a table and hit instant hand history. There is a box to check if you want to save hand history on your computer.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100/200 and you want me to stack off 2.5k on 10-10. There is no way I push this preflop. Its a good hand to go to the flop with, but imo i won't shove with it on most occasions

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes your beat

I've read some of the other posts saying your pre-flop raise was weak and I can say that I don't agree.What would you have done if your raise was large and you still were called and that was the flop?Now you've committed a large portion of your stack not knowing what they have or what the flop is going to produce.Let's say the flop came 2...A...Q, your going to be cussing at yourself for committing 1/3 of your stack on a single hand.He hit his set, nothing you can do but think for a minute and come to the best decision with the information you have.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were there antes at this stage?

I've read some of the other posts saying your pre-flop raise was weak and I can say that I don't agree.What would you have done if your raise was large and you still were called and that was the flop?Now you've committed a large portion of your stack not knowing what they have or what the flop is going to produce.Let's say the flop came 2...A...Q, your going to be cussing at yourself for committing 1/3 of your stack on a single hand.He hit his set, nothing you can do but think for a minute and come to the best decision with the information you have.
Personally, I would advocate shoving, because every decent sized raise pot commits you. The problem with raising 2.5x is that the BB and limper are both correct to call with just about anything. Therefore, you aren't making any money with your preflop raise. You can only win money with post-flop decisions. This might be ok if you're deep-stacked and have high implied odds, but you don't. It's also going to be tough if an opponent slips in there with one overcard and hits it on a dry flop. All undercard flops are great, but they're rare with TT. In summary, TT is a premium hand in this situation and making a big raise (all-in) preflop is a sure-fire way to profit.

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop problem.
with 10's there.I push..you'll prolly get a call
hopefully they don't turn over A8 suited..
BUT..ya deffintily have to push the 10's.