Pocket Pairs

K

Konas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When in a tournament i was just wondering what you do when you are delt a pair, do you play it every time, even if it is as bad a a pair of deuces, will you bet and raise pre-flop?

L

LostFan23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way should you play them everytime. Obviously a lot depends on position, action in front of you, stack sizes and blinds, etc. Because of this, it's hard to really summarize action on so many possibilities other than to say to not overvalue small pocket pairs like deuces, as they are pretty dominated unless another 2 or whatever comes up on the flop.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position, chipstack, blinds, etc.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What they said. Position and action in front of you will be the biggest factors. Pocket 2's - unless there checked to you in the blinds you will rarely play them.

juz2swt

juz2swt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
need more info... how big of a pair, what position, chip stack, position in tourny..:confused:

Y

youzeaflea22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get myself into trouble heads up with small- medium pps. I like to push with them and people call with QJ or better and I lose.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket pair vs. two overcards (7-7 vs. A-J)55%
Pocket pair vs. higher suited connectors (4-4 vs. J-10s)49%

Some odds for PP heads up.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it always depends on the kind of game your playing. In a freeroll tournament I would go all-in pre-flop with a decent pocket because odds are that someone is gonna call. In cash game, much less people would consider calling me because in cash games people are more tight. Averagely I just raise 2-3 times the blinds sometimes 4.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ+ I raise pre from any position.

TT-99 I limp any position, fold to much of any raise behind.

88-22 I will play in later positions, the lower the later the position, if I am sure there will be no serious raisers behind me to set mine.

If the table is very loose with alot of limpers and very few raisers only when they have really strong hands I will even limp 22 utg and fold pre to any raise.

The most important part of lower PP's I take into account is how likely someone is to raise behind me. I am almost always only looking for a set anyway, so the more limpers the better, since it is either set or fold for the most part unless it has been folded around and I plan on representing what the flop would have hit then I will raise and represent high cards on the flop if called by the blinds and they check to me (and likely to re raise if they bet a weak amount then check/fold it as most of the time blinds are only betting if they actually have something, and rarely will double/triple barrel with nothing at all OOP, or with low pair getting raised) even if I do not hit a set.

I do not want to limp and have to fold to a raise behind. In general to call a raise you do not want call off more than 10% of your stack while at the same time they have a stack that is 10 times the size of the raise.

There is so much to account for positional, stack, and table/player dynamic wise there is no one way to always play PP's of the same rank in the same position even from table to table. The above is just a generic start.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position, chipstack, blinds, etc.

This...

Plus it depends on who's at the table with me and how they've been playing.

There's no set standard or rule for playing poker pairs (or any other hand) it's all situational.