POCKET J's .... when do I play them?!??!

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a $3 rebuy on stars. If i was in late position and it was just me and the initial raiser i would of shoved. But knowing the other player had to make a play, i just called hoping for a set or undercards on the flop. I hoped the same thing when I called his reraise. Should I of bet that 1k in early position with that K on the board? My reasoning is at least it showed that he most likely had QQ+, K10+. But this play REALLY hurt. How should I play JJ PF? with QQ+ I am comfortable raising largely but i know any overcard will kill me.

pokerstars Game #14120893662: Tournament #71192131, $3.00+$0.30 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2007/12/26 - 21:29:15 (ET)
Table '71192131 370' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: yssue (13600 in chips)
Seat 2: kootenay (14370 in chips)
Seat 3: Low_Chicago1 (17525 in chips)
Seat 4: jfujikawa (4625 in chips)
Seat 5: Will881 (11600 in chips)
Seat 6: Joe_Banks (7823 in chips)
Seat 7: WEPF.champ (3225 in chips)
Seat 8: pokerkingxeo (12713 in chips)
Seat 9: Brewnoe (7839 in chips)
Low_Chicago1: posts small blind 100
jfujikawa: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pokerkingxeo [Js Jd]
Will881: folds
Joe_Banks: folds
WEPF.champ: raises 600 to 800
pokerkingxeo: calls 800
Brewnoe: folds
yssue: folds
kootenay: raises 3600 to 4400
Low_Chicago1: folds
jfujikawa: folds
WEPF.champ: folds
pokerkingxeo: calls 3600
*** FLOP *** [Ks Ts 2d]
pokerkingxeo: bets 1000
kootenay: raises 8970 to 9970 and is all-in
pokerkingxeo: folds
kootenay collected 11900 from pot
kootenay: doesn't show hand

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first hour of a rebuy, be willing to go all in preflop with JJ. Don't let yourself get pushed around by AQ, AT, AJ, 99 and under.

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And assuming it wasn't a rebuy? (I wasnt going to rebuy in this one anyway)

SteelCtyVitt

SteelCtyVitt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dont like the play at all.... you have a few options I would think...

you could have folded, called or shoved....

fold - you could be a favorite... but most likely it is a race and it is way too many chips to risk and you could find a better place

you mentioned your more secure with q/q ... why j/j gives you the same odds except a/q is a better hand against you... but that is it.

call - see the flop but understand that if he shoved on the flop and everything is undercards your going to call and you could still be beat pretty good.

shove - pre-flop and hope you win your race... or better your a huge favorite

personally... I fold them pre flop or shove... in the rebuy i'd have shoved... without the rebuy im more likely to fold and know that im a better player then villian and I will be able to pick a better spot

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty bad situation to have JJ, you have a deepstack against another deepstack, you're out of position, and you have to commit a third of your chips, close to commiting you to the pot. Ideally, I would fold here and wait for a better spot (better hand, better position, smaller stack villain, etc). But why play a rebuy if you're not going to rebuy. The real poker starts after the first break, when the prize pool is bigger, there are less players to outlast, and deepstacks delay the all in shove fests for an hour or two.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well pre flop, you should be re raising the initial raise. Then if you get a raise over that it becomes an easier lay down. It as simple as that.

Tobmeister

Tobmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well pre flop, you should be re raising the initial raise. Then if you get a raise over that it becomes an easier lay down. It as simple as that.

^^^^ pretty much that, by just calling PF you have no idea where you stand, and if this guy is a bit donktardish, then you could have well let him hold K Q.

Also, why are you playing a re-buy tournament if you don't intend to re-buy? :eek:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why are you playing a re-buy tournament if you don't intend to re-buy? :eek:

or add on i dont think, which is silly because not adding on is effectively throwing away chips