PLEASE HELP, was i an idiot

C

colombian800

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys i meed help and honesty, i dont mind critisicm but i need to kkno was this unluky, normal, a bad play by me, and my mistakes, and what i should have done thanks.

Single table 10 ppl tourney, $120 buy-in, top 3 payed, 6 players left. I am second chip leader and small blind, big blind is chip leader. Blinds are 100-200 and i have about 2100 chips. the short stack goes all in (600), everyone folds to me i call with KhTh, Big blind also calls. flop comes:

3cKs9c

its only me and him left since the other guy is all in, and i figured i had the best hand but temporarily, the draw scare me, i figured if he had two clubs or anything worse id scare him out now and have only the all in to beat, I went all in for my remaining 1500 (about 2/3 of his stack). He calls to my surprise, turns over 5c8c, turn is 5h, and then the river is the Ac givin him a flush, putting me out of the tourney...advice?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your flop play is alright. Nothing wrong with a push, but he also played it right; he shouldn't fold a flush draw when he's getting better than 2:1 to see both the turn and the river.

Your preflop play is a whole lot more questionable. You could have pushed preflop to isolate the short stack (why give the big blind good odds and position?) or you could have folded. I'm not happy with the call.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ What FP said. In the SB with blinds so large relative to stacks, you simply have to push/fold preflop here.

I think I prefer a fold. BB has odds to call the 600 push with a wide range of hands, and with something marginal like KTs I prefer to hopefully let them duel it out. That said, the shortstack is pushing with such a wide range of hand here, I can't really fault a push.

Calling isn't really an 'idiotic' play, it just was not the best option open to you.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually disagree with the other guys, as I think a call is the best play. With 6 left and top 3 paying, eliminating another play at this stage would be best for both of you. Despite being 2nd in chips, you dont have a huge stack in relation to the blinds. IMO you should adopt a check-calling mode after the flop. I dont think the big stack particularly wants to lose some of his stack on a draw, so will probably have checked with you to the river and then bet his flush, giving you the chance to get away from the hand. Even if you decide to call on the river, he will probably be value betting anyway, making the hand a lot cheaper for you

If you were going to push your chips in after the flop, then it would create an argument for "should I have pushed or folded preflop"

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there was anything wrong with you just calling the short stacks all in.. Nor do I have a problem with the Big Stack calling the extra 400 out of the BB since he's getting 3.5-1 on his money.. The problem I have is you pushing after the flop.. You are betting all of your chips into a dry side-pot in order to push out the BB with just a pair of Kings..Why not just check it down and eliminate a player?.. I believe it is protocol to just check a hand down because it increases the odds of one of you having a better hand than the shortstack at showdown thus eliminating a player.. The only time you should bet into a dry side-pot in my opinion is if you flop a monster such as a set of Aces or Kings, or a Straight.. Betting for value in this hand comes second to eliminating a player in my opinion..

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a fair enough call really. 37% chance of winning at a cost of 31%.

In theory if he is a good player, the only way to win this hand is check the flop, no club comes, Then move all in. He now no longer has the odds to call.

Welly

G

geno9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i feel your call preflop was right and since BB also called with a player all in, usually you check down to try and knock out the other player. with you betting there he auto calls b/c of the flushdraw and it knocks you out .. if you check down you still lose the pot but it knocks down to 5 players and you still have chips left to try and cash

K

kyfranchise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with colin. I think calling is an good move here and then checking till the river. That way if he hit his flush you will know and then can still get away from the hand. I also dont think you made a bad move by pushing all in after the flop because i would think since you are second in chips the guy after you would fold on his draw. There is lot of ways to play the hand. I wouldnt say you made a mistake with the allin but like the one guy said you could have pushed in preflop to get isolated with the low stack. But after the flop i like colins thoughts about checking till the river.

I

imovelines

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with franchise and colin. He's probably willing to check it down (until he hits his flush) to try to take the other guy out. Check-calling is the way to go. Not crazy about the preflop call but I understand it. Any ace is ahead of you and if he has a king he is most likely ahead (assuming he's moving in with kj or better) Good insight everyone, this is how we learn

IML

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thing is, there's no way you can put the other guy on a flush draw. What are the chances of him having 2 clubs, about 1 in 20?

C

colombian800

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt go all in preflop bcz i was afraid of him calling with something better and knocking me out, i figured id give myself a chance and if i hit a good flop i would make a move. The reason i didnt chek it down (wich you are all rigth i should have) was because the blinds were going up so fast, and they were so big in relation to our staks, i really needed the amoun in the pot :(

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your play was right - you were just unlucky that a) he had a flush draw (1 in 20 chance) and b) he made it (1 in 3 chance).

BetUICan

BetUICan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...they do call it gambling for a reason. You took a gamble without analyzing the possibilities...it happens to the best of us at one time or another. The check down would have been better or tester bet ...especially if any remaining player has you covered in chips. Not gonna quote you all the percentages as I see that's been well covered in prior posts here. Besides the flush draw...what about AK or KQ, KJ that beats you as well or BB flopped two pair? BB had investment already...reasonable for him to call. Sorry about the luck on the hand...chances are...in the future you will profit in the same way.