Playing QJ

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have realized as of late that I tend to play this hand as if it was better than the two cards indicated. So i decided to post some hypothetical hands with QJ. Please give me some feedback on what you would do in these situations. These really are preflops problems too, so that is my main focus.

Hand 1: Blinds 15/30

Seat 1(1500 chips)
Seat 2(960 chips)
SB(1475 chips)
BB(1975 chips)
Hero(1500 chips)
Seat 6(2500 chips)
Cards dealt to Hero: QcJd(doesen't really matter, just that they are offsuit)
Hero calls 30
UTG raises to 150
seat 1 folds
seat 2 folds
SB calls 135
BB calls 120
Hero???
early in the tournament; do you call here or just toss it. don't have reads on the players and i know QJ is a pretty good hand but even if i hit a top pair, is it good? Am I just banking on a straight? This question might sound stupid but i would just like to see what people would do here
...more to come

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd toss it. its not an overly powerful hand and its too early in the tourney.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an insta-fold as UTG has bet 5xBB pre-flop and with two other callers, it's safe to assume your dominated here.
UTG raise is indictive of a high PP or AK and the others may have a PP or high suited connectors, hence the calls.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ is the type of hand you either want to take a cheap flop with in late position, or maybe play aggressively in late position if the situation is favorable.

You should be folding preflop as first to act almost all the time here, nevermind after a strong 5BB raise.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ is garbage unless you like being dominated and having really bad reverse implied odds

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was going to say the same thing - limping UTG with that hand means you've created an even bigger problem for yourself. Does the player raising really have a hand, or does he just smell weakness?

Either way, with a raise that size and two calls, it's probably time to be getting out of the way. QJo is definitely not better than the cards indicate in this situation.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just hypothetical. what about 3x bb in late position, already two callers ahead of you

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha sorry i am under the gun by the way.. i just made up the hand so didnt spot that one. he is after me

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha sorry i am under the gun by the way.. i just made up the hand so didnt spot that one. he is after me

Exactly - the question is why you limped UTG with QJo? It's created an even bigger problem for you than just having your QJo raised to you in late position.

As for raising 3BB in late position with two limpers behind you? There's not really a lot of information to go on there, in general it wouldn't be as horrible a play as limping the same hand UTG though.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ is the type of hand you either want to take a cheap flop with in late position, or maybe play aggressively in late position if the situation is favorable.

You should be folding preflop as first to act almost all the time here, nevermind after a strong 5BB raise.

what he said ^^^

I'm never playing this UTG this early. Maybe a button limp or SB limp but even then most often I toss that PF.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks. i was trying to gauge how to play that under the gun.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All I know about QJ is don't limp UTG - I did that once and got major grief from Tenbob lol.

Funny thing is I forget most of what I read and am told about poker - but I always remember that.