Playing with junk

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 50 / 100 and it’s about 20 mins into the tournament. Table has been playing ridiculously passive. I haven’t played a hand yet as I’ve been dealt junk of biblical proportions so far. My stack is mid-sized.

I’m on the button. I’m dealt the mighty 2 4 offsuit – another monster hand. 4 limpers call before me. I call hoping for a cheap flop while thinking this might be a good time for a bluff (assuming no one bets post-flop) using my tight table image. The sb goes all-in with his remaining 350 in chips. Everyone folds to me. I have to pay and additional 250 for a shot at the total pot of 1050.

The sb didn’t look happy with his all-in and seemed to be a desperation mode – and not one of those “oh hum, I guess I’ll push these cowboys” type of thing. I’m thinking he may have a low pair, but likely a suited connector. With so many limpers, he was getting pretty good odds for his move.

My pot odds are 4-1 with a junk hand…I know I’m an underdog, but the question was how much of an underdog am I? Should I gamble and call?

What would you do?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip stacks are important but I'm pretty sure anyway that 1) you should have folded preflop, and 2) you have to call the SB push.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all I would have folded pre-flop and by the sounds of it your growing impatient.
You have to ask yourself this (as you probably have an answer already as soon as I post this for you to see) Would you normally call 24os?

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I called and he turned over 7 4 os. We paired a 4 on the board.

Yeah, I was getting impatient.

To be honest, I probably had a better chance of stealing if I had raised pre-flop. I'd doubt the sb would've called if someone showed some strength before his turn.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, bin it or stick in a 6x BB raise pre-flop... watch those limpers fold! If someone calls, you always have position and since you're only a 2:1 underdog to two higher cards (non-pair), the pot odds justify your raise (sort of).

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call was a bad option imo. Raise if you want to steal. But with 4 limpers, and the blinds to come, I don't think this was the hand to try it.