Open ended straight draw

ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all sorry for not using the converter but it doesn't work at bodog.
I'll try to explain as best as possible.

Tournament CC 100 $ FR
Blinds 50/100

Me: 7365 in chips
Hand: Jh10c
Middle Position

I call, SB calls, BB checks, the rest folds.

Flop:6d Qc 9d

SB and BB both check, I bet 300 $
SB folds BB calls

Turn 2h

I bet 900 $
BB calls

River 4c

I bet 1740 $
BB calls and turns over 9c 5c

I lost about 3000 chips in that hand at a time when I was second in chips in the tournament.
Should I have bet more after the turn, or should I have been more cautious during the hand ?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seeing as villain called 2 pot sized bets on the flop and the turn it is very unlikely that he is going to fold the river (unless ofcourse he is on a flush or str8 draw) so in this situation i prefer to check unless i hit the str8

P.S: with J10o on the button in an unopened pot, i raise it to like 2.5bb and most likely bb and sb fold and u pick up a small pot

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar post here to this hand....I think you need to be more cautious here. Middle position and calling, you're giving small blind even better odds to call and you're not making the BB make ANY decision. Then he hits top pair and PROBABLY puts you on two paint cards or suited connectors. He wasn't going anywhere.

I say you make the 300 chip bet preflop maybe you take this down right there, if not tho, you make a 600 or 800 chip bet on the flop, if you get called he's telling you he has SOMETHING....you have a draw and nothing else. After the flop you check to him if he bets, you get away relatively cheap instead of losing half your chips.

Personally *I* give this hand up preflop and lose nothing...:)

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop check/call, turn check/fold.

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not playing this hand from middle position unless Im making some kind of move. Then a call is unadvisable. You should be raising preflop or laying it down.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar post here to this hand....I think you need to be more cautious here. Middle position and calling, you're giving small blind even better odds to call and you're not making the BB make ANY decision. Then he hits top pair and PROBABLY puts you on two paint cards or suited connectors. He wasn't going anywhere.

I say you make the 300 chip bet preflop maybe you take this down right there, if not tho, you make a 600 or 800 chip bet on the flop, if you get called he's telling you he has SOMETHING....you have a draw and nothing else. After the flop you check to him if he bets, you get away relatively cheap instead of losing half your chips.

Personally *I* give this hand up preflop and lose nothing...:)

He flopped middle pair. Flop had a Q. He flopped a 9.
Just saying :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Interesting replies.. ("he flopped top pair?"... maybe was watching your post about as well as 'villain' was watching your play).
In freerolls, the thing is.... alot of the players are clueless. They're not watching your previous play and attempting to read your hand and put a story to your play. The vast majority of them are loose calling stations, with a bunch of loose maniacs (or LAGs) thrown in also.
Best strategy 'imo' for playing on these tables is to manage the pot size in this situation, ... bet out 1/2 pot c-bet on flop. Turn I would shut down and consider check/call (for a number of reasons... one.. so many rookies just can't get away from their hand if they've hit any pr., and especially if they happen to hit top pr. - weak kicker). Okay.. so if they're watching you do this and you give up the hand to a large turn bet (if you're not getting odds to call... remember.. this is 'freeroll strategy'.. alot different from reg. mtt), when you do come into a hand (hopefully always preferably raising preflop) and you HIT the flop hard, you will be able to come out with what would appear to be a c-bet of 1/2pot, then 'act as if' you're shutting it down on the turn, check/call (hesitantly... yah it's an obvious tell to someone who knows.. but probably not to a clueless calling station who calls a pot-sized flop bet with mid. pr. weak kicker, no draws). Then on the river fire out a big bet also 'acting as if' it's a freerolllin donk river steal bet, betting pot. Watch yourself get paid off.
GL with the Calling Stations. When playing in freerolls, I'll rarely if ever semi-bluff on flop'd draw,... only if I know my opponent isn't clueless.

sandbender

sandbender

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not even suited? Middle position? Not me without more info on the blinds. You only have a 17% chance of hitting your straight at the flop (47/8), so unless you're playing this as a bluff, I'd be much more cautious.

And I definitely wouldn't shove with nothing on the river unless I knew the villain was a total fish. What are you betting? When the BB kept calling, why didn't you put him/her on ladies or slow playing a set?

Last edited:
ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting replies.. ("he flopped top pair?"... maybe was watching your post about as well as 'villain' was watching your play).
In freerolls, the thing is.... alot of the players are clueless. They're not watching your previous play and attempting to read your hand and put a story to your play. The vast majority of them are loose calling stations, with a bunch of loose maniacs (or LAGs) thrown in also.
Best strategy 'imo' for playing on these tables is to manage the pot size in this situation, ... bet out 1/2 pot c-bet on flop. Turn I would shut down and consider check/call (for a number of reasons... one.. so many rookies just can't get away from their hand if they've hit any pr., and especially if they happen to hit top pr. - weak kicker). Okay.. so if they're watching you do this and you give up the hand to a large turn bet (if you're not getting odds to call... remember.. this is 'freeroll strategy'.. alot different from reg. mtt), when you do come into a hand (hopefully always preferably raising preflop) and you HIT the flop hard, you will be able to come out with what would appear to be a c-bet of 1/2pot, then 'act as if' you're shutting it down on the turn, check/call (hesitantly... yah it's an obvious tell to someone who knows.. but probably not to a clueless calling station who calls a pot-sized flop bet with mid. pr. weak kicker, no draws). Then on the river fire out a big bet also 'acting as if' it's a freerolllin donk river steal bet, betting pot. Watch yourself get paid off.
GL with the Calling Stations. When playing in freerolls, I'll rarely if ever semi-bluff on flop'd draw,... only if I know my opponent isn't clueless.

Ty for the reply, as a beginner I play mostly fr's and it's hard to get people of their hand, they call everything which is great when you have the nuts, but it can get frustrating when non of your bluffs/semi-bluffs work out.

And I agree with your 'he flopped top pair' remarks, got me reading my original post twice ! :D