OK, let's hear the thoughts on this river suck out.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I played the hand okay (got my money in best and all), but I'm interested in any thoughts...

Table read: I'd been playing very tight overall (basically due to shitty cards) and my opponent was fairly loose and had shown a propensity to defend his blinds and show down questionable hands.

pokerstars Game #6522087946: Tournament #33117706, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/10/04 - 21:34:26 (ET)
Table '33117706 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Micha20 (1340 in chips)
Seat 2: kaufland (1210 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: bearcat54 (1123 in chips)
Seat 6: JD Old Num 7 (1365 in chips)
Seat 7: JiggityJacks (2727 in chips)
Seat 8: tyrone408 (865 in chips)
Seat 9: BossGT6 (4870 in chips)
bearcat54: posts small blind 50
JD Old Num 7: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JD Old Num 7 [6s 5d]
JiggityJacks: folds
tyrone408: folds
BossGT6: folds
Micha20: folds
kaufland: folds
bearcat54: calls 50
JD Old Num 7: checks
*** FLOP *** [5h 7s 7c]
bearcat54: bets 200
JD Old Num 7: raises 400 to 600
bearcat54: calls 400
*** TURN *** [5h 7s 7c] [Tc]
bearcat54: bets 423 and is all-in
JD Old Num 7: calls 423
*** RIVER *** [5h 7s 7c Tc] [8c]
kaufland is connected
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bearcat54: shows [6c 8s] (two pair, Eights and Sevens)
JD Old Num 7: shows [6s 5d] (two pair, Sevens and Fives)
bearcat54 collected 2246 from pot
kaufland has returned
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2246 | Rake 0
Board [5h 7s 7c Tc 8c]
Seat 1: Micha20 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: kaufland (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: bearcat54 (small blind) showed [6c 8s] and won (2246) with two pair, Eights and Sevens
Seat 6: JD Old Num 7 (big blind) showed [6s 5d] and lost with two pair, Sevens and Fives
Seat 7: JiggityJacks folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: tyrone408 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: BossGT6 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One for the bad beat board?

If it were me, I'd probably not raise on the flop, in the interests of keeping the pot size manageable. Plus you can't say with any degree of sureness that you have the best hand here. He's made a big bet and you don't really have much of a hand. You might be better off letting this one go until you have something a bit stronger.

BTW if he's read you correctly for a 5, he's played it well because he's a favourite on the flop, with 2 overcards and an open-ended straight draw (14 outs).

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising and leaving villain with ~400 behind (if he calls) on the turn is a bit silly. Push, fold, or even call and re-evaluate on the turn in position. I think stacks are probably a little too short for calling, but calling in many ways is scarier to villain than a push here as 7x would probably call and hope he leads the turn rather than just push.

It's pretty marginal, and comes down to what hands I've seen villain overbetting before. With no reads I probably fold, considering it's an unraised pot and villain could have anything.

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know he doesnt have a pocket pair or two high cards, so you have to decide whether or not you think he has the 7.

If you are going to re-raise him on the flop, I would just push all in. Either you think he has the 7 and you should fold, or you think he is on a draw, and you should push HARD.

I made this same exact mistake earlier today. I hit a solid pair on the flop, thought I had the best hand, but I didnt push hard enough and he drew out to his straight.

In this case he was more likely to hit his straight than his top pair.

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising and leaving villain with ~400 behind (if he calls) on the turn is a bit silly. Push, fold, or even call and re-evaluate on the turn in position. I think stacks are probably a little too short for calling, but calling in many ways is scarier to villain than a push here as 7x would probably call and hope he leads the turn rather than just push.

It's pretty marginal, and comes down to what hands I've seen villain overbetting before. With no reads I probably fold, considering it's an unraised pot and villain could have anything.

I completely agree about the call being scary to the villain, I've used this before. The only problem in this case is position. If you call the villain will see that as weakness, and push all in with his position. If you act BEFORE the villain, a call then all in would probably push the draw out.

I still think the only chance of getting him to fold in this hand is to push all in on the flop, so that he doesnt think he has a chance to bluff you later. You want all his money in, but you also taking the pot down without letting him draw is a great option.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. Looking back now, I agree that the flop raise may have been a little too aggressive (primarily due to stack sizes). There was no way that I was laying this down on the flop, this guy just play too loosely. I'm thinking that pushing on the flop would have been the better option here, to probably take the pot down right away. Although I'm sort of thinking that this guy was calling no matter what and/or leading the turn if I didn't push, if so, then I guess I was at the mercy of the poker gods.

Thanks for the reality check.

E

ElYk33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have pushed all in on flop give him horrible odds if he call then your ahead if not you take it down then

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has odds to call whatever you bet on this flop.