Not Exactly Single Hand Analysis

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to improve my game, yes I've made a few cashes and what not but I honestly know I can do better. Just trying to plug the leaks. If someone has time to watch a $2 SnG Replay I would love some feedback,
There's a total of 111 hands in this Non-Turbo SnG. Maybe I could get ten volunteers to take 11 hands a piece? There are some hands I know I played utterly terribly, and a lot of questionable hands I called with in the SB, BB, CO and BTN.

Any Volunteers would be appreciated and feedback is welcome from everyone.

If 6-Max is your thing take the 6 handed sections.
If Heads-Up is your thing take the HU sections. (Even though it was pretty much a shove fest)

So maybe:

#1: 1 - 11 --- Early Stages of SnG (Players: 9 End: 7)
#2: 12-22 --- Couple Questionable Hands By Me (Players: 7)
#3: 23-33 --- Have Decent HUD Stats for Players (Players: 7 End 6)
#4: 34-44 --- Still 6 Handed (Players: 6)
#5: 45-55 --- Middle Stage of SnG (Players: 6 End: 4)
#6: 56-66 --- Bubble Bursts (4-3 Handed Play)
#7: 67-77 --- Blinds @ 60/120 w/ 1 Short Stack (Players 3)
#8: 78-88 --- Beginning Heads-Up
#9: 89-111 --- Continuing Heads-Up

Villain Stats: (From My Left Around): Abbv Name: VP/PFR/AG%/H(total)
ZB - 43/43/41/47 (Total Was on 3 Other SnG's as Well)
S0182 - 100/100/100/1
S4L2 - 17/3/7/80
WSS44 - 44/7/29/111
RRR - 40/0/10/25
B - 25/7/45/61
JBL - 31/11/15/55
M82 - 35/10/38/53

The Link To The Replayer:
http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/multihands.php/id/18503

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:-( :-( Double Cry Face

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sean, this thread may do better in the Tournament poker forum rather than HA - it sounds like a great opportunity to get some great discussions, but maybe more as a group activity (as you suggest) than as an HA activity - if you're ok w it, I'll move it...

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a Physical Chemistry quiz tomorrow that I don't feel like studying for, so I will review your hands instead and see if I can help. I know c9 likes to do these sorts of things too, maybe he'll come around.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sean, this thread may do better in the Tournament Poker forum rather than HA - it sounds like a great opportunity to get some great discussions, but maybe more as a group activity (as you suggest) than as an HA activity - if you're ok w it, I'll move it...

Oh, Sean actually posted it there. After two sad faces and no other posts I moved it here to see if it got a better response, feel free to move it back.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sean, this thread may do better in the Tournament Poker forum rather than HA - it sounds like a great opportunity to get some great discussions, but maybe more as a group activity (as you suggest) than as an HA activity - if you're ok w it, I'll move it...

Weird someone moved it here (HA), that's where I originally posted this.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, Sean actually posted it there. After two sad faces and no other posts I moved it here to see if it got a better response, feel free to move it back.

Hee hee hee

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, I finished-- do you want me to post my analysis here, or would you rather me PM you?

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post it here, it's fine. I want as many opinions as possible. And open debate on some as well.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post it here, it's fine. I want as many opinions as possible. And open debate on some as well.

Okie dokie, I'm not a great SNG player, but they're my main game and I feel like I'm pretty good at them. So here it is.

1. Standard fold. You need to save your chips for later in the game. Note that the player to your right is somewhat of a LAG-tard.
2. Another good fold. Don’t call raises with dominated hands, even on the button.
3. Fold is fine.
4. Good raise, nice takedown.
5. Fold is fine. The guy to your left is sort of a maniac, eh?
6. Finally, an interesting spot. Here, I would think about making a laydown, not because we got 3-bet, but because the player to our right called the 3-bet after limping UTG. Even if he sees by now that the zombert is a maniac, he has to know too that you’ve raised over top of him and represented strength, plus he’s out of position. On average, I doubt he has less than sixes here.
Now the flop. Check is fine; obviously zombert is going to bet. I like c/r-ing here, but I don’t know if I really like jamming. If it were against a normal player, I’d raise a smaller amount, but against this villain, we can probably expect action (which may be what you were thinking), so I guess it’s not so bad. Lol at AT, what an idiot.

7. Easy fold UTG with A2. Interesting line by jojobluela. I’m surprised he didn’t raise on the flop or the turn, he had the best hand but there were so many bad cards that could come which zombert could easily have. I wonder if he always plays this passively.
8. I like the aggressive attitude, trying to knock out the maniac, establishing a blind-defender image, but I would fold this. You’re getting 1.25:1 here, and your hand is almost never ahead here, even against this guy. If I had any ace, and even a lot of kings, I would call, especially since our call closes the action. But here, we can’t expect to be in good shape. Regardless, nice river and KO.
9. Good fold.
10. Good fold. Rico rico played this hand weird. He floated with a pretty hopeless hand on the flop, but made no effort to take down the pot on a later street. Very passive (and bad) play.
11. Fold.
12. Fold. Another passive line by rico. Very weird.
13. Fold is fine.
14. Fold.
15. Family pot! If I were heads-up, I’d play this big draw much more aggressively on the flop. But multi-way, I think I’m okay with c/c-ing. Calling turn is fine too, although I might start to make a move here, now that the pot is a decent size. Obviously fold the river after you whiff.
16. Not a bad move with AK. If you had raised like 6x and got a caller, you’d then be in a tricky spot out of position if you whiff on the flop. Going all-in eliminates this possibility. You could just call and look to fit the flop, but I think I like your move better.
17. I might just limp in here after jojo limps, but a raise is fine too. Checking the flop is fine, I feel like a lot of players might c/r bluff this board, since you have like no fives in your range. After he checks the turn, though, we have to bet. He is telling you he has nothing. We pretty much have to call the min-bet, a lot of people would go crazy and raise his bet (I’m sure I mistakenly would have), but just calling is good.
18. Fold is fine.
19. Fold. I’m gonna stop looking at hands you don’t play, it’s taking too long lol.
20. Fold.
21. Fold.
22. Calling on this flop is fine. We need to bet more on the turn; we’re offering odds to anyone with one club. If I were raised on the turn, I’d think about folding. I’m not sure what I’d do on the river. I’d probably bet too, a little more than you did, but I wonder if checking would be an interesting move. It probably wouldn’t induce a bluff from rico, but against a more aggressive player, a check is worth considering.
23. Pretty easy call with fives. Pretty easy fold after missing our set.
24. Fold.
25. Fold is fine. Could limp, but blinds are getting bigger, so I’d probably fold too. Rico is gone, woohoo!
26. Fold.
27. Fold. Good discipline so far.
28. Raise with KQ UTG is fine, since we’re short-handed. Pretty obvious fold to a shove from whysoserio, who hasn’t spoken up until now, it seems.
29. We can probably bet this flop and expect to take it down most of the time. People will pretty often put us on trips, since we’re in the BB. No one connected, and you take down the pot.
30. I’d probably call here, since we’re getting 9:1. If we hit two pair, or some straightening cards come on the flop, we can continue. We can muck anything less.
31. QT is a good hand to steal with, but we have a limper in front of us, who has already limp-called us once already. So I might not raise in this spot, although I really don’t mind. Good c-bet.
32. Good disciplined fold.
33. Fold.
34. Fold.
35. Fold.
36. Too bad that our aces got no action. I’d probably raise a full 3x, but that’s just nit-picking.
37. Fold.
38. Fold.
39. Fold.
40. Nice takedown with nines.
41. I’m surprised SB didn’t shove pre, this is a great spot to try and get some chips imo. Whysoserio takes an interesting line, and jojo makes a pretty bad hero call.
42. Good steal.
43. Both calls are fine—if there weren’t a big stack in the BB, I might raise to isolate, but calling is a good play.
44. Fold.
45. I like the desire to steal the blinds, now that they’re getting big. Good squeeze by jojo.
46. Fold. Lol at another overbet.
47. Fold is fine.
48. You could call here, or even try to squeeze, but your chips are becoming more valuable, so nothing wrong with fold here.
49. Very good blind steal.
50. Fold.
51. Pretty well played. I pretty much hate slowplaying aces. In “Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time, Vol. 1”, they suggest that it may be okay to slowplay aces if you have around 15 BB’s, and you think the villain will c-bet. You risk him connecting with the flop, but it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll get your stack in on the flop regardless, because your opponent will feel committed, and will want to KO you.
52. Tight fold here, but you’ve been pretty active this orbit, so it’s probably good for metagame, plus you’d be out of position.
53. Very good call imo. His range is so huge there, you’re ahead of a lot of it. Even against his AQ, you’re not in that bad of shape. Good call.
54. Fold.
55. Fold.
56. Nice steal.
57. I like that you came out firing. There aren’t very many good turn cards for you. Nice takedown.
58. Nothing wrong with a fold here.
59. Fold.
60. Good steal.
61. Q2 is still ahead of some of part of his range, so a call is fine. I might fold, just because it’s a more marginal spot than the K8 hand earlier. Sweet river.
62. Fold.
63. Fold.
64. Aggressive move, too bad it didn’t work out here.
65. Another aggressive move, this time it did work, J.
66. Fold is fine.
67. Re-raise is standard with a good, but vulnerable hand.
68. Good c-bet.
69. Fold.
70. I probably bet this turn after whysoserio shows so much weakness. c/f is fine, though.
71. I like that you’re mixing it up from the small blind and just calling here. Too bad he didn’t hit your monster flop.
72. I probably raise 300-360 instead of min-raising, QQ is a little more vulnerable than aces and kings. I sort of like the shove, because it looks like a bluff, and we have a pretty good hand. I might just bet the pot instead, in case he has a monster, because he can leave us crippled.
73. Jeez, your cards have been on fire here. I like the pre-flop call. I figure you’re trying to make your hand look like a bluff again with the shove. Again, I think I like a smaller value raise better.
74. Raise more if you’re trying to steal with a limper in front of you. He won’t usually fold to a min-raise.
75. Fold, adjusting is fine after you just got caught.
76. Yay for a walk!
77. I like the raise here against the short stack. Too bad we dubbed him up.
78. Nothing wrong with folding after showing down T4.
79. Another walk, whysoserio is playing pretty tight.
80. Just raise this guy all-in and apply the max pressure, since you’re obviously not folding to his re-raise. Nice hand.
81. I like the min-raise here; heads-up we can bet a little smaller. Nice takedown.
82. Another walk.
83. Nice c-bet, you could try to bet smaller for more value here, but there are a lot of bad turn cards for you, so taking down the pot immediately is a good result.
84. Well played, if he bets the river I fold.
85. I would at least limp here, you can probably raise 2.5x and steal his blind since he’s playing pretty conservative.
86. I would probably try to get some value somewhere in here, since this villain will probably never bluff. Nice pot.
87. Good raise and c-bet.
88. This is sort of a marginal call, I probably give him credit for the queen here since he’s so passive. You probably have some good implied odds, though, since you can expect him to play that queen aggressively. Nice turn card, you shove the river again, hopefully he gets fed up with this soon and makes a crying call when you have him crushed.
89. Good call to mix it up. I think I bet the turn after he checks twice. Good fold.
90. A walk with jacks, L.
91. Weird flop bet by him, good fold.
92. I would bet this flop, I don’t know if you were planning to c/r or something. Nice bet on the turn.
93. Nice aggressive play and c-bet here. Keep chipping away.
94. Another walk.
95. You can limp here, but folding isn’t terrible.
96. More walks!
97. I wouldn’t fold too much heads-up, especially against an opponent playing this tight.
98. Good raise here. I’d probably also call his shove, but we should probably stop and think about how he has been playing. It might help us get away from this hand against the tight player who just limp-raised us. On average, though, I like the call.
99. I’d probably c-bet this flop in a vacuum, but I understand checking since we’re getting short stacked, and we need every chip we can get. Hard to react to those min-bets, good job not going crazy.
100. Shove is fine here with the line we’ve been taking previously.
101. Good steal.
102. Another walk.
103. Fold.
104. Good shove here, nice boat.
105. Fold is fine.
106. We should probably bet the flop, but I like the c/r. We can probably raise more, too, and still get value. Good shove on turn to get the stacks back to even.
107. I would bet as a bluff somewhere in this hand. Playing this passively helps metagame though, so it’s fine I think.
108. Slowplay here is risky, but since we’re heads-up, I think we’re fine. We finally get paid off on our shove! Very nice hand.
109. Easy shove, our hand is above average. You’ll get him soon.
110. Another walk.
111. Just shove pre. Nice flop, and good game.

Last edited:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely didn't study at all for my quiz tonight, lol. Maybe in the morning.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much appreciated! Didn't have to do the whole darn thing but thank you!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much appreciated! Didn't have to do the whole darn thing but thank you!

I told you, i really didn't want to study lol. But i hope it was helpful, it was actually a good exercise for me, too.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not going to go through every hand one by one but some of the ones that stood out for me. I only got through about 30 hands or so. Will post thoughts on the others when I have time to review them as well.

Hand# 8 - you have 6-7 suited in the Big Blind. The maniac of the table shoves his last $330 and the blinds are only $15/$30. Obviously he is tilting but all his showdowns so far have shown high cards (AT, AK). There is no need to risk that much of your stack with 6-7s, especially when he is going to have overcards most of the time.

You only have $30 invested in the hand, just fold.

Hand# 15 - you have 6-7 of hearts in the BB - there are five players in a limped pot and the flop comes 4d-Th-8h - you have a gut shot straight draw and a flush draw. You need to bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot here on the flop. You are ahead of any pair that hit that board.

Check calling all the way to the river is just spewy. Get agressive with your good draws.

Hand# 16 - AKos in the SB - I think shoving is a bit overkill - a raise to 500-600 does the same thing and even if you miss the flop, you can shove with it and still get folds.

Hand# 17 - T-Jos on the button. One limper from mid-position blinds 25/50. The limper is the second biggest stack at the table. You don't want to tangle with him, without a really strong hand. He is one of the stacks that can do you serious damage.

Your raise (4x BB) is almost never going to get the limper to fold. They will see a flop, especially since both your stacks are deep.
Flop came 5h-5s-6s - You are in position and he checks the flop, BET - You will take this down more than you won't, if called or raised you are done with the hand.

Hand# 22 - 9-7os in the BB blinds are 25/50. One limper plus the SB completes. Flop is 7h-6c-Kc - SB bets $50 into $150 pot - this bet screams, I have a draw and want to see it cheaply. This board is very scary, lots of draws (str8 and flush come to mind). If you don't think you can push him of his draw, this is a fold. Calling is just spewy, what are you hoping to hit on the turn ? And if you think you are ahead now, RAISE.

The turn brought you the 9c - great :eek: - the flush just got there and so did some straights. But you have two pair. SB checks and looks like a trap to me, especially if he hit his flush. Then you bet $100 or 1/3 the pot, weak, weak bet. I read it as, I have a nine but am worried someone might have the flush so I can fold if someone raises me. If the other players had a clue, especially the SB, they raise you and you have to fold.

Fortunately the other players took it to mean you hit the flush and were giving them a cheap price to stay in.

Hand# 29 - K-2os in the BB - blinds are 30/60 with two limpers and the SB completes. Flop comes 2-3-3 - What kind of flop were you hoping for ??!? This is the dream flop for K-2 and you should bet 2/3 to pot and take it down right there. Don't give them a chance to catch an over card. IF you get called, you are done with the hand.

It looks like you need to get more agressive with your bets, betting 1/4 to 1/3 of the pot looks weak and gives draws the odds to chase. Also, recognizing when you are ahead and betting out instead of calling is going to win you more uncontested pots.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not going to go through every hand one by one but some of the ones that stood out for me. I only got through about 30 hands or so. Will post thoughts on the others when I have time to review them as well.

Hand# 8 - you have 6-7 suited in the Big Blind. The maniac of the table shoves his last $330 and the blinds are only $15/$30. Obviously he is tilting but all his showdowns so far have shown high cards (AT, AK). There is no need to risk that much of your stack with 6-7s, especially when he is going to have overcards most of the time.

You only have $30 invested in the hand, just fold.

Hand# 15 - you have 6-7 of hearts in the BB - there are five players in a limped pot and the flop comes 4d-Th-8h - you have a gut shot straight draw and a flush draw. You need to bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot here on the flop. You are ahead of any pair that hit that board.

Check calling all the way to the river is just spewy. Get agressive with your good draws.

Hand# 16 - AKos in the SB - I think shoving is a bit overkill - a raise to 500-600 does the same thing and even if you miss the flop, you can shove with it and still get folds.

Hand# 17 - T-Jos on the button. One limper from mid-position blinds 25/50. The limper is the second biggest stack at the table. You don't want to tangle with him, without a really strong hand. He is one of the stacks that can do you serious damage.

Your raise (4x BB) is almost never going to get the limper to fold. They will see a flop, especially since both your stacks are deep.
Flop came 5h-5s-6s - You are in position and he checks the flop, BET - You will take this down more than you won't, if called or raised you are done with the hand.

Hand# 22 - 9-7os in the BB blinds are 25/50. One limper plus the SB completes. Flop is 7h-6c-Kc - SB bets $50 into $150 pot - this bet screams, I have a draw and want to see it cheaply. This board is very scary, lots of draws (str8 and flush come to mind). If you don't think you can push him of his draw, this is a fold. Calling is just spewy, what are you hoping to hit on the turn ? And if you think you are ahead now, RAISE.

The turn brought you the 9c - great :eek: - the flush just got there and so did some straights. But you have two pair. SB checks and looks like a trap to me, especially if he hit his flush. Then you bet $100 or 1/3 the pot, weak, weak bet. I read it as, I have a nine but am worried someone might have the flush so I can fold if someone raises me. If the other players had a clue, especially the SB, they raise you and you have to fold.

Fortunately the other players took it to mean you hit the flush and were giving them a cheap price to stay in.

Hand# 29 - K-2os in the BB - blinds are 30/60 with two limpers and the SB completes. Flop comes 2-3-3 - What kind of flop were you hoping for ??!? This is the dream flop for K-2 and you should bet 2/3 to pot and take it down right there. Don't give them a chance to catch an over card. IF you get called, you are done with the hand.

It looks like you need to get more agressive with your bets, betting 1/4 to 1/3 of the pot looks weak and gives draws the odds to chase. Also, recognizing when you are ahead and betting out instead of calling is going to win you more uncontested pots.

Thank you very much for spending your time on some of my hands! I play scared a lot I don't know why. I'm still working on getting the right level of aggression and that K2o hand, I normally would never raise with absolute bottom pair here, if you're suggesting that's what I do next time I shall try it if the situation occurs again.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Sean. Glad you realize you play scared, I was going for passive, which would come off the same way. In NL usually the more agressive player will win more hands.

With the K2 hand. Very rarely will the other players have hit that board and if someone calls your flop bet, you can check/fold, as they likely have you beat but a good portion of the time you will be ahead and they will fold.

On a side note, your game looks exactly like mine did about 2 years ago. Passive, calling more than raising, playing out of position, weak starting hands. The good news is, there is always something to learn, ways to improve and get better and you already know that and are taking the steps to get better. To be honest, you are well ahead of where I was in that regard. You'll be crushing these SNGs in no time.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands