Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
Hello friends, how do you think I played this hand? Taking into account that there were a couple of players with short stacks, maybe I should have played differently, what do you think?

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi ammje

I think you played the hand as well as most. Personally, I like to see a flop with AK or AQ unless I'm <15BB. All-in preflop has not been kind to me so I avoid it when I can. Even then it's not foolproof. I've seen too many runner-runner suck-outs (read as I've suffered at the hands of too many runner-runner suck-outs).

mj22

mj22

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CY
Chips
Unlucky hand Juan, although you had over cards to his jacks.

I will tell how I would've played it, and that would be my opinion to the play and hand:
You have a stack around 20bbs, I wouldn't consider any open shove with any hand especially if you are deep in the tournmanet.
From your position it's better to open raise rather than shoving especially that the early position player limped. And I would've also 3-bet any open raise.

So, from that position (many players are still in play after you), any early limp or open, and depending on your situation in the whole tournament (which seems to be in a deep phase) especially if near bubble, better to see flop.

Goodluck in your tournaments!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You started the hand with less than 20BB, and the original raiser was even shorter. In that situation there is not enough room to make a non all-in 3-bet, and therefore you should have jammed. With your sizing you put in more than 1/3 of your stack, which mean, you are committed to the pot and can never fold either preflop or postflop. The problem with this is, that it screams strenght, and you can never have a bluff.

If the other players are paying attention, they will think: "Hey wait a minute, why does he not jam, when he is so short? He must really want action." And then they might exploit you by folding hands like AQ or AJ, which you want to get action from. Here it did not matter, because someone had JJ, an this is a completely standard and unavoidable spot for both you and the opponent. Most tournaments end like this, so the only thing to learn from this hand is preflop sizing.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with fundiver199, with less than 20bb and the small open raise before (2bb), then you should to 3bet-push there, because if your bet is biggest than 1/3 of your stack then you have to push, you are committed with the pot and if you fold there against 4bet for example, fold there will left to you very short stack.
This is a important rule to know and remmember: when we gonna 3 bet more than 1/3 of our stack, then it is directly push.
Anyway you had not luck against jacks there Juan. Greetings! :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, how do you think I played this hand? Taking into account that there were a couple of players with short stacks, maybe I should have played differently, what do you think?

Replaying hand one step at a time no results seen yet

Preflop with stack sizes at 20bb or less eff we can shove this hand vs 3 betting- we want a little more post flop equity for our 3 bets AKs AQs as we have to call shoves or we get flat called-

The rest is nothing to think about---Shoving does not change the outcome by the way JJ just reshoves- it is other holdings that we get to fold to the shove that is +EV in this spot

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unlucky hand Juan, although you had over cards to his jacks.

I will tell how I would've played it, and that would be my opinion to the play and hand:
You have a stack around 20bbs, I wouldn't consider any open shove with any hand especially if you are deep in the tournmanet.
From your position it's better to open raise rather than shoving especially that the early position player limped. And I would've also 3-bet any open raise.

So, from that position (many players are still in play after you), any early limp or open, and depending on your situation in the whole tournament (which seems to be in a deep phase) especially if near bubble, better to see flop.

Goodluck in your tournaments!
Hi Jay, yes you're right, I forgot to mention that it was the final table of the CC freeroll.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi ammje

I think you played the hand as well as most. Personally, I like to see a flop with AK or AQ unless I'm <15BB. All-in preflop has not been kind to me so I avoid it when I can. Even then it's not foolproof. I've seen too many runner-runner suck-outs (read as I've suffered at the hands of too many runner-runner suck-outs).
You started the hand with less than 20BB, and the original raiser was even shorter. In that situation there is not enough room to make a non all-in 3-bet, and therefore you should have jammed. With your sizing you put in more than 1/3 of your stack, which mean, you are committed to the pot and can never fold either preflop or postflop. The problem with this is, that it screams strenght, and you can never have a bluff.

If the other players are paying attention, they will think: "Hey wait a minute, why does he not jam, when he is so short? He must really want action." And then they might exploit you by folding hands like AQ or AJ, which you want to get action from. Here it did not matter, because someone had JJ, an this is a completely standard and unavoidable spot for both you and the opponent. Most tournaments end like this, so the only thing to learn from this hand is preflop sizing.
Replaying hand one step at a time no results seen yet

Preflop with stack sizes at 20bb or less eff we can shove this hand vs 3 betting- we want a little more post flop equity for our 3 bets AKs AQs as we have to call shoves or we get flat called-

The rest is nothing to think about---Shoving does not change the outcome by the way JJ just reshoves- it is other holdings that we get to fold to the shove that is +EV in this spot
Thank you for your comments, they are very accurate. I will take them into account. :)
I forgot to mention that it was the final table of the CC freeroll.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with fundiver199, with less than 20bb and the small open raise before (2bb), then you should to 3bet-push there, because if your bet is biggest than 1/3 of your stack then you have to push, you are committed with the pot and if you fold there against 4bet for example, fold there will left to you very short stack.
This is a important rule to know and remmember: when we gonna 3 bet more than 1/3 of our stack, then it is directly push.
Anyway you had not luck against jacks there Juan. Greetings! :)
Hi Tefy, yes you're right, next time I won't forget your advice, thank you. ;)
I forgot to mention that it was the final table of the CC freeroll.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
fundiver's response is good imo.
Also, keep in mind that generally CC freeroll players allow their stacks to get way too short in later stages. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FACT!

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey Juan <3 I do not know what point of the game you are in or who is in seat 6, but I tend to go slower with AK. I do not like betting my stack on a flip <3 but say there is a known villian to me that plays any two, I would be all over that call too.
<3 Next time you will win!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I also agree with fundiver that shoving preflop is the best way because you also can isolate the initial raiser with this more likely.

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I also agree with fundiver that shoving preflop is the best way because you also can isolate the initial raiser with this more likely.
I agree with Isa agreeing with Tefy who also agreed with Fundiver :p You all are such great players and we know how passive I can be on the tables LOL

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you're comfortable flipping with pocket pairs at the final table, then just go ahead and jam with AK. Otherwise AK doesn't really play well against several players. Fortunately for you here, JJ helped you get it all in but unfortunately for you the board wasn't in your favour.

Or you could just fold your AK. I know it sounds nitty, but you're out of position and you may have better hands down the line yet to play from better positions with almost 20 BB behind you. Personally I don't go crazy with AK (especially offsuit) until I am down to close to 10 BB.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Juan <3 I do not know what point of the game you are in or who is in seat 6, but I tend to go slower with AK. I do not like betting my stack on a flip <3 but say there is a known villian to me that plays any two, I would be all over that call too.
<3 Next time you will win!
Thanks for your comment Billy. ;) :love:

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fundiver's response is good imo.
Also, keep in mind that generally CC freeroll players allow their stacks to get way too short in later stages. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FACT!
If you're comfortable flipping with pocket pairs at the final table, then just go ahead and jam with AK. Otherwise AK doesn't really play well against several players. Fortunately for you here, JJ helped you get it all in but unfortunately for you the board wasn't in your favour.

Or you could just fold your AK. I know it sounds nitty, but you're out of position and you may have better hands down the line yet to play from better positions with almost 20 BB behind you. Personally I don't go crazy with AK (especially offsuit) until I am down to close to 10 BB.
Thanks for your comments folks.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position does not matter in allin, Hero had position on limper.

I do think hero could fold to the allin, not saying it is the best play, but there are some ICM stuff in play here and stacks of other players are low, so it depends on if hero want to ladder up or risk life here, I do not know the pay jumps or hero’s desire for laddering. You do still have 3 players with lower stack at the table if you fold after your raise. I tend to agree with that at a table with the stacks we have here, you can play poker with a non push/fold strategi, for a few more orbits, and instead use a more carefull aproch, aka see what the big stack does, before you make too many moves, and act as late as possible in the orbits.

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Position does not matter in allin, Hero had position on limper.

I do think hero could fold to the allin, not saying it is the best play, but there are some ICM stuff in play here and stacks of other players are low, so it depends on if hero want to ladder up or risk life here, I do not know the pay jumps or hero’s desire for laddering. You do still have 3 players with lower stack at the table if you fold after your raise. I tend to agree with that at a table with the stacks we have here, you can play poker with a non push/fold strategi, for a few more orbits, and instead use a more carefull aproch, aka see what the big stack does, before you make too many moves, and act as late as possible in the orbits.
I saw 4 more players to act after our OP/hero. Also, who is limping? Is the 2bb raise from MP considered a limp now?

Agreed with the rest of your message. Not necessarily optimal but realistically speaking who is going to call or jam after our raise here?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're comfortable flipping with pocket pairs at the final table, then just go ahead and jam with AK.
There is no information, that this was the final table. And even if it was, our range should not change much, as long as we have fold equity. Which we most definitely have by rejamming a 20 BB stack over a min-raise. Even the final table is not only about trying to fold our way to a small payjump. Its also about accumulating chips and trying to make a run for the top 3 spots. This is where, most of the profit is won or lost in MTTs long term.
Otherwise AK doesn't really play well against several players.
Which is part of the reason, why we rejam. We hope to either get everyone to fold or get it in against one opponent at most. And they will not always have a pocket pair. People do also regularly call with dominated hands like AQ or AJ. Or hands a lot worse than that, since this is a freeroll, and a lot of people dont even try to play well.
Or you could just fold your AK.
I assume, you mean to the cold 4-bet from SB? A cold 4-bet is very strong, but the issue is, Hero had already put in more than 1/3 of his stack. He had to pay another 31k to win a pot of 107k. This mean, that even if SB showed Hero pocket kings, Hero would still have to make this call due to pot odds. And against JJ it was a massively profitable call, which just did not work out this time. Only if Hero was shown pocket aces, could he get away after 3-betting. Which is why, a 3-bet should be a jam with stacks this shallow.
I know it sounds nitty, but you're out of position
Hero had position on both opponents, and positions dont matter, when you are all-in, since there is no more action to come.
and you may have better hands down the line yet to play from better positions with almost 20 BB behind you.
You dont find many spots in poker, that are more profitable than being able to rejam AK with a 20 BB stack. Such spots print money in the long run, and they allow you to build a big stack, which you can then use to pressure other players and survive future coolers and bad beats.
Personally I don't go crazy with AK (especially offsuit) until I am down to close to 10 BB.
Thats a big leak in your game.

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It's complicated when they're that kind of cards, sometimes I think we trust them excessively, probably I would have risked the same as you (even knowing that I shouldn't play them that way) and more so in a final table as intense as the CC sometimes takes it decision-making in that instance can be difficult

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands