Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This is the CC Platinum Freeroll.

BTN stats after 88 hands: VPIP 35 PFR 17 Limp 13

Do you guys think that my call is too loose here?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,398 (24 bb)
UTG+1: 5,104 (51 bb)
MP (Hero): 2,910 (29 bb)
MP+1: 3,180 (32 bb)
LP: 5,946 (59 bb)
CO: 5,171 (52 bb)
BU: 1,058 (11 bb)
SB: 1,479 (15 bb)
BB: 5,539 (55 bb)

Pre-Flop: (240) Hero is MP with 6 A
2 players fold, Hero raises to 200, 3 players fold, BTN calls 200, 1 fold, BB calls 100

Flop: (740) J 9 3 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 370, BTN raises to 848 (all-in), BB folds, Hero calls 478

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
After your bet, the pot odds are 4:1, so you need at least an equity of 20% to make the call profitable.

Your flush draw has 35% chance to happen on turn and river, so easy call, in my opinion.

Additionally you probably also have an overcard for an overpair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand is completely standard. As Andyreas say, you are committed on the flop against BTN, when you flop the nut flushdraw. That would even be the case, if you had checked, and he had moved all-in for his last chips. You most likely have 12 outs, which is almost 50% equity, and sometimes you are even ahead of a worse draw like KQ, QT, T8 or worse spades.

Here its a nobrainer even just because of pot odds, but for other situations, where it might be closer, the free program Equilab is great for analysing spots like this. You plug in your hand and the board, and then you assign the opponent a range, that you think, he would call with pre and then commit with on the flop. Now first of all the opponent should never be calling here preflop with 11BB. He should either jam or fold, so we know already, he is not a good player. And for that reason I will assign him a fairly wide range.

Starting with the nutted stuff, I do think, he most likely jam JJ+. So I will not give him overpair or top set, but I will give him 99 and 33 for the other sets. I think, he can have J9 for two pair but not J3 or 93. Thats just to loose even for most freeroll players. If he can have J9, he can clearly also have JT, QJ, KJ and AJ, and flopping top pair, those hands are clearly not going anywhere.

I also dont think, he even just call, when the board is wet, and you bet 1/3 of his remaining chips, and he has another guy left to act behind him. So all the top pair are also in his jamming range, and lets give him A9 as well for the best second pair hand. And then there are draws. If he can have J9, he can also have QT and T8. Its kind of difficult for him to have spades, when you have the A, and the J and 9 are on the table. But KQ, KT and 87 of it seems reasonable, so lets give him that as well.

The result is, you have 46% equity, so you are essentially flipping. Now you might disagree with the range, I gave him, but small adjustments will not change the result significantly. And if you assign him a range of say only sets and two pair, that is simply not realistic given the whole situation, where he is short and playing a freeroll. And even then you would have 30% equity, so it would still be a call.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The hand is completely standard. As Andyreas say, you are committed on the flop against BTN, when you flop the nut flushdraw. That would even be the case, if you had checked, and he had moved all-in for his last chips. You most likely have 12 outs, which is almost 50% equity, and sometimes you are even ahead of a worse draw like KQ, QT, T8 or worse spades.

Here its a nobrainer even just because of pot odds, but for other situations, where it might be closer, the free program Equilab is great for analysing spots like this. You plug in your hand and the board, and then you assign the opponent a range, that you think, he would call with pre and then commit with on the flop. Now first of all the opponent should never be calling here preflop with 11BB. He should either jam or fold, so we know already, he is not a good player. And for that reason I will assign him a fairly wide range.

Starting with the nutted stuff, I do think, he most likely jam JJ+. So I will not give him overpair or top set, but I will give him 99 and 33 for the other sets. I think, he can have J9 for two pair but not J3 or 93. Thats just to loose even for most freeroll players. If he can have J9, he can clearly also have JT, QJ, KJ and AJ, and flopping top pair, those hands are clearly not going anywhere.

I also dont think, he even just call, when the board is wet, and you bet 1/3 of his remaining chips, and he has another guy left to act behind him. So all the top pair are also in his jamming range, and lets give him A9 as well for the best second pair hand. And then there are draws. If he can have J9, he can also have QT and T8. Its kind of difficult for him to have spades, when you have the A, and the J and 9 are on the table. But KQ, KT and 87 of it seems reasonable, so lets give him that as well.

The result is, you have 46% equity, so you are essentially flipping. Now you might disagree with the range, I gave him, but small adjustments will not change the result significantly. And if you assign him a range of say only sets and two pair, that is simply not realistic given the whole situation, where he is short and playing a freeroll. And even then you would have 30% equity, so it would still be a call.

You where spot on. :cool: I do use Equilab, but the reason that I put this hand here is to see your guys thinking so I could try to develop this kind of thinking myself.

Here is the full hand

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 9 players

2 players fold, Hero raises to 200, 3 players fold, BTN calls 200, 1 fold, BB calls 100

Turn:
(2,436) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (2,436) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 2,436

Showdown:
BU shows J K (a pair of Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 40%, Flop: 55%, Turn: 68%, River: 0%)

MP (Hero) shows 6 A (two pair, Aces and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 60%, Flop: 45%, Turn: 32%, River: 100%)

MP (Hero) wins 2,436

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Im not loving opening here off of 29 BBs fairly early position with re jam stacks behind me. We also dont have a wheel Ax here so I know I am nitty but I think I am folding here pre. Too many hands that will call/3 bet/jam in position against us where we are not looking good. I know this is a freeroll but it should still be something on our minds. I may be the oddball in this thread thinking this way but Im folding pre in the position that we are in.

Flop: This would be a little villain dependent to me because in these spots I like/prefer to check jam vs c bet. For one, I dont ever really hate it when villain or villains check behind since I get to see a turn card drawing to it and if they have nothing we still have the ace high showdown value that has a good chance. We also get them to put a bet in should they bet and it allows us to get it all in with two cards to come instead of a potential turn spot where we miss and decision would have to be made. Also, a little added bonus that if we are playing against this player pool everyday (as we are with CC freerolls here) then it protects our checking range on future hands. A lot of villains will bluff here when two checks (including the pre flop raiser) comes to them so its a nice spot to reel them in a little.

As said with other posts, we dont mind when villain turns over a pair here just as long as its no set or two pair. As played, especially with the amount left to call, this is an easy get it in knowing we usually should be close to flipping. As a side note, villain should have jammed pre here or folded with their entire range (outside maybe AA but that would give it away so even AA should jam here imo) so I would make a note on them that they did not re jam 10.5 BBs with KJ off after we min opened and that they just called meaning in the future we can be less worried about them re jamming over us and when they do its probably a tighter range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Im not loving opening here off of 29 BBs fairly early position with re jam stacks behind me. We also dont have a wheel Ax here so I know I am nitty but I think I am folding here pre. Too many hands that will call/3 bet/jam in position against us where we are not looking good.
I think, its completely fine to fold A6s here for the reasons, you give. I just dont think, its a mistake to open it either, which is why, I did not go into preflop.
Flop: This would be a little villain dependent to me because in these spots I like/prefer to check jam vs c bet.
Check-jamming rather than C-betting would also be a perfectly fine line. Its another situation, where its close, and we are not making a mistake, as long as we dont fold.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the CC Platinum Freeroll.

BTN stats after 88 hands: VPIP 35 PFR 17 Limp 13

Do you guys think that my call is too loose here?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 9 players

Multiway strategy has us use smaller sizing on the flop and to be betting top of range- Checking this hand would be fine.

We want to be preplanning our hands so when we bet in this spot we want to be thinking about the V's actions
We already know we are calling off BTN shoves when we bet this size
What do we do when the BB reshoves? What do we do when BB calls?
Do we need to leverage the BB out of the pot by getting the BTN to shove?
When we chose this sizing did we not force the BTN to shove their continue range?
What better hands are we trying to get to fold with this sizing?

Folding in Poker