Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This hand happened in the CC $100 freeroll on pokerstars, I thought I'd call if it was just against the villain on the button, as he was going all-in on a few hands.

But when SB called, I decided to give up, because his decision was very quick.

And would you pay?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,466 (25 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): 2,211 (22 bb)
MP: 1,736 (17 bb)
MP+1: 3,096 (31 bb)
LP: 1,772 (18 bb)
CO: 1,871 (19 bb)
BU: 1,731 (17 bb)
SB: 2,278 (23 bb)

BB: 815 (8 bb)

Pre-Flop: (240) Hero is UTG+1 with Q A
1 fold, Hero raises to 200, 4 players fold, BTN 3-bets to 1,721 (all-in), SB 4-bets to 2,268 (all-in), 1 fold, UTG+1 (Hero) folds

Flop: (3,832) 9 K 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (3,832) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (3,832) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 3,832

Showdown:
SB shows J J (a pair of Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 89%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

BU shows 8 8 (a pair of Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 11%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

SB wins 3,832

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can use the equity data in this hand (cardschat has a an odds calc) to see that we could call in this spot even though we would have lost. the Equity we were getting vs two strong hands was enough to warrant the call so vs an entire range the call is fine--- Also our stack size is such that a call is better than a fold as it is better to triple up or lose than continue to grind in this spot by folding. Our time has value we want to consider that in freerolls---- If we had 12 or more bb then we can consider folding as an exploit vs very weak fields because of the stack sizes on our table----We would fold near the bubble

:unsure::geek:

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With 25 blinds you should call with JJ+ and AKs.
With 20 blinds you can call with TT+, AKs and AKo.

That's in theory, right... to be EV+... but other factors such as the moment of the tournament, opponent information... etc.

So... I would try to follow this line, but knowing something more about the villain I could opt for the call.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Even tho equity data suggests that call is good there as poster above me said, I'm more often folding than calling in such situation. You are most likely entering the pot with 2 high cards against at least one of them having a pair (most of the time - in this case both did). So you either hit a card, which could still mean you don't win or you are pretty much out of the tournament.
Personally I really dislike getting involved in such situation with hand like AQ - I would have way easier time calling there with AK.

Taking into consideration that the MTT was a 100$ freefroll however, I do see myself calling there. You either win those or they are not worth playing (unless you are in just for the fun of playing). You could apply same thinking to bigger tournaments also, but I'd still argue it's a difference if you are playing for 20$ first prize, where you paid nothing to get in, compared to playing for lets say 10k, where you put 30$ in.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 25 blinds you should call with JJ+ and AKs.
With 20 blinds you can call with TT+, AKs and AKo.

That's in theory, right... to be EV+... but other factors such as the moment of the tournament, opponent information... etc.

So... I would try to follow this line, but knowing something more about the villain I could opt for the call.

Very good share

If no ICM to think of and only 8 bb to call and the position of the open and the fact we are blocking AA QQ AK and getting extra equity from the SB possible loose call vs a possible wide range shove and the FGS-future game-- benefits in this type of MTT come from having big stacks and as another poster said -we are targeting top 3 finish not min cash --- and the math says call-- we can default call here 100% of the time

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We can use the equity data in this hand (cardschat has a an odds calc) to see that we could call in this spot even though we would have lost.

Theory is all well and good, but when it comes to action, you don't have much time to analyze it.😁

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQo is a standard fold, when someone rejam and another player call with around 20BB effective. And even more so when you opened UTG+1, because then they should not be putting you on a wide range. So this is completely fine, and SB did in fact show up with one of the premium hands, we would expect him to always have (JJ). We can use the free program Equilab to estimate our equity in spots like this, so I did. Lets say BTN is a bit wide, because he is short and perhaps a bit desperate. So lets give him a fairly wide range like 66+, AJ+, KQ, A9s+, A4s-A5s, JTs+. This is already 11,6% of hands, which is very wide to be rejamming over an UTG+1 open. SB however has 23BB, so he is less desperate, and generally this is an easy spot for him to just fold and have BTN in the next hand. So without some sort of read, that SB is a maniac player, I will only give him a range of TT+, AK. Against these two ranges you only have 22,5% equity. We dont even need to do a nerdy pot odds calculation here, because this is clearly an unprofitable call, and its not close.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theory is all well and good, but when it comes to action, you don't have much time to analyze it.😁
That is why we study here and use the data now. So that in a similar situation we can make the best estimate of our actions. If we take the time to look at other hands using the equity calc such as AJ AT A9 we may see that AQ is the bottom of our call range therefore in future spots we can know to just call AQ and not anguish over what to do.

We would also look at suited AX hands and see what equity we have there to find out if the bottom of our auto call range is ATs or lower

When we find the bottom of range in many spots it makes in game decisions much quicker and we do not second guess ourselves about range.

Which allow us to dig deeper into other factors of game play faster.