MTT, Short Stacked, Bubble time, early position AA, what do you do?

kaiWalk

kaiWalk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bodog $500 FR. I'm 2nd to act with roughly $6,000 in chips, blinds are $800-$1,600. 64 players left & the cut is 63. I get AA and there are at least 4 to act behind me with $50,000 + in chips, what's my move?

No suspense, I min raised (I hate that move, but it was the only move I could make without going all-in, while still eliminating some & juicing the pot). (I'm amazed I got any callers. Short stack on the bubble min raises, gotta be AA)

2 callers, flop came rainbowed with no connectors, I pushed, 1 fold, 1 call, I win & triple up.

Anyway, came in 16th (sorry poofy, damn close to the $), but just curious to know how others would play AA there. Fold & take the gtd place or push & risk being the bubble hand due to the card odds.

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My choices would be to min raise or all in.. With it being a freeroll and how low of chips I have. I would just let my watch make my decision (if its past the 30 minute mark than I go all in if not then I min raise) .

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm embarrassed to say that if I'm just trying to make the money, I might fold. Terrible, I know. Just hate going out on the bubble. If I'm in a better frame of mind, then I'll ignore the payout cut-off and just play to win. That's got to be the better way to go. Ignoring the tournament lobby and prize structure makes me play better.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happy dance and shove.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy shove everytime. your gonna have all your chips in before river anyways so shove and hope to get only one caller or be happy and take the blinds wich are a third of your stack

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to agree, it has to be shove because there is not really much at stake here and you really need chips.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You either shove pre-flop or shove flop, fold is not a option. This gives you the chips needed to make a run for the final table. All the money is at the top, one final table is worth a 100 bubbles.

G

gra605

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go all-in too, but with the assumption that my time was probably up - I have lost track of the number of times in internet games that I have pushed all-in close to the bubble with a solid pair and been beaten by the chip leader with a miracle flush or straight on the river.

G

grunta0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I push preflop !
Reasons... You only have 3.5 BB and if everyone folds you still pick up the blinds which is a considerable addition to your stack.
By pushing in EP you will knock out the garbage but someone will probably call as they will think you are betting with any two.
Also when the bubble is close a lot of players are not prepared to play hands that might cost them a spot so it is a good time to steal.

SusieP

SusieP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pushing maybe the best move here, worst that happens is you dont get called...

N

ncscout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to either shove it all in or fold here because you will be all in anyway just by calling if any of the big stacks raise and they quite possibly will just to get short stacks allin or out and you can't fold this hand.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shove shove shove.. no point playing to make 63rd spot only to be blinded out a couple of hands later.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play it the way you, er, ah, played it.

u go allin, maybe 1 caller. min raise, you get some action???

Seriously, what hole cards do you want here?

The fact you are "bubble girl" in 63rd, with just 4 BB left???

Entice the calls, bubbly like, and, you play the hand well.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play to win or don't play at all!

Insta-shove. Regardless of the results it is a good play

T

toybits

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with most of the posters here, push!
i don't think you should worry about being the bubble because 63 doesn't really pay a lot right? :)

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the table has been loose and raising lots u cud try get away with limpin with AA then shoving over any raises to bring in extra chips, but if the table has been playing tight then it's easily a shove. With ur stack size ppl cud put u on anything. And playing the bubble? It's a freeroll so 63rd will b so low it's worthless playing tight n thinking about creeping into the money, u've gotta keep pushing to try get up that ladder :p

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others have said, push.

If you shove and get no callers then you increase your stack by a third. If you get callers then all of your chips are in with the best hand. That's win/win.

Min raise gives lots of players the chance to see a cheap flop and you won't have enough left to price anyone out of a draw on the flop. That's lose/lose.

C

chrismonk123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im with the pushing all in here! min raise to a big stack will be seen as cheap flop! hits 2 pair or straight and its game over!

J

jrmonty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got to push here no point playing mtt just to cash, normally about 50% of the money goes to the top 3, thats where you want to be, it's better to bust out few times and win the MTT than to just scrape in the money those few times.

I

im all in man95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was UTG...then I'd push, because if you min raised and the flop comes like lets -KQJ of hearts...you might have to fold it, and then the blinds would destroy you. It's such a dangorous board that you'd have to normally fold to a push, so like before, you'd be crippled. I'd push.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's go over this...

Seems there is a lot of missing info, but probably enuff to make an opinion.

FR, Blinds 800/1600, hero has 6k. Why, oh why, are you that short? You should have dbl up, or been out 2/3/4 orbits ago? Right????

Ok, ok, card dead. Been there, seen that, dread being there again, but Ok.

Seems to be a full tbl, and hero UTG+1. I'm looking for MAX value here. I want a quintuple-up! Hero has 4 choices: Unless Hero is an idiot, this is allin time.

1. Fold. Should be no chance. This is stack time. No limp, fold, to an ugly flop..

2. Limp. This is Ok, if you planning the classic, stop-n-go. Or, limp is fine if you entice other callers, and will call any raise. This is stack time. I'd probably choose to do this, BUT, appears rather sneaky/trappy, if you know poker, imo.

3. Min raise. This is another option. AND again, we, trying to MAX the value. This screams, big hand, and you have NO fold equity! But, you didn't start the hand with any fold equity! So this can be misconstrued, as a fishy/donk move? and will probably get paid here. This pot commits you, and SCREAMS, big hand, if you know poker, imo.

4. Allin. Banter semantics, push, shove, whatever. Hero has 4 BB, on the bubble. Allin is Ok. But will that MAX our value?

Really, fold another hand, blind out in 2 orbits, and make ITM!

When you are that short, and get ppA, 2 or 3 is good, 4 is Ok, 1 is bad.

K

Kymi10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL IN!!!Especially since it's a freeroll!

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in as its freeroll, the donkeys that would call a min raise with players to act after you would also call all in :D.

Also if you wanted just to cash you would only want 1 or 2 callers any more callers and the field would be the favourite against you with junk