Marginal hands poor kicker

mellyy85

mellyy85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im on the button in a mtt the level is at 10 20, i have k 4 and everyone just flat calls making 4 people in the hand besides me

flop comes k q 7 with two hearts i hold the K4 with no hearts the first place bets 40 and the others all call? what should i do raise it up some or just flat call?

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Not sure why you even called in the first place here. The only flop that will make your hand worth keeping is 4 4 x or if they are suited you get A x x in your suit. After the flop, you have a bet and all callers. You have to fold. Someone is on a flush draw and I am almost certain that you are way behind someone else with a Kx that has a better kicker.

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play this hand, I might call on the DB if my K/4 is suited hoping for a flush flop if I'm WAY ahead in chips and can afford to speculate. But with that many players in the hand you are more than likely out kicked with someone drawing to a lot of outs that could beat two pair if you get lucky/unlucky to catch two pair on the turn or river.

Style and image is another factor some players gamble it up. I can't tell you how many times I've been busted by the odd player here and there who plays the K/4 os to bust my A/K. But 8 times out of 10 I'm taking that guys chips, sure the other 2 times are frustrating and I may get knocked out of the tournament but he's a gambler, his bankroll is probably like mercury is in a dessert swinging wildly from night to day being dependent upon luck.

The advantage of calling from the DB with a speculative hand in a family pot is more flop dependent than player dependent, if you don't catch strong, fold. You could raise with this hand and judge your opponents, if the situation is right you might even win but the odds are against you. You want to push YOUR edge and that don't mean hanging yourself over a cliff. You want CONTROL of the hand you don't want to battle over control, if your battling over control your gambling.

If your chip leader and speculating in a family pot and can afford to raise and fold to resistance .... MAYBE you could play this. if all of the factors line up in your favor, your running good, your opponents are easy to bully and you KNOW they will fold ... well then ok ... but more likely than not your just giving more chips away.

It's better not to even play this hand and wait for your opportunity to CONTROL the hand and press your advantage. Gambling is luck dependent, winning consistently is skill dependent, one skill worth recognizing is knowing when NOT to speculate. IMHO this is one of those times.

Good luck :D

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands