LAST HAND OF THE NIGHT?

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night i was playing in 1k freeroll on poker stars. It was a decent table..but i noticed that our chip leader(12k) was calling 90-95%.His style was call and check out. I was 3 for 3 heads up with Mr Calling Station.
Now heres the hand. Blinds 100/200 my stack 4k and I'm on the button.
Mr. CS is UTG and raises to 350 the table folds to me (Ad/Kd) and I raise to 700.. SB and BB fold..you guessed it he calls. Flop comes (2d..6d..Ks.) He checks to me. Flush draw and top pair I bet 1k into a 2k pot. He calls...Turn comes (Ac)...He checks to me I push all in 1900. he calls (4c/5s) Take a wild guess what hit on the river.....(3s) he wins and I'm off to bed. Was this the right play on my part? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:D !!! T.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is a calling swtaqtion then there is nothing you could have done. I would haqve bet the pot or so on the flop though. I have found that online (especially freerolls and cheap tourneys) people don't respect half pot bets. I just go ahead and bet the pot or so usually.

TheRifle

TheRifle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You make a good point snake. My experience is similar - if you're all-in or betting 2bb or 3/4 pot you're more likely to find callers than betting 1.25 pot in freerolls. In this case, chip leader makes a strange play from UTG and after the flop he has 2 shots at an inside straight. So he's not getting the odds when you bet 1k so I would guess he will call anything as he does when he calls your all-in on the turn. Just one of those occassions where he made the wrong move but it worked out for him.

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone played this hand TERRIBLY!

But you already know it wasn't you.

Who calls on the turn with only the gutshot?....the guy I want at my cash table! Regarding the size of the bet, it seems that the universal poker answer is necessary here...it depends. I have no problem with your bets. If you would have chased him off his gutshot draw with a higher bet, statistically, that was a bad play. With only 4-outs you want him to call. Of course, you don't know how many outs he really has or if he has you beat (a set).

So I say bet high enough to give him bad odds to call. Half-pot gives bad odds to chase a flush, but considering that he could be chasing both straight and flush, a full-pot bet may be better. You want chasers to call with bad odds.

I am curious if anyone sees this differently, especially since it is tournament and not cash?

Shaugie

Shaugie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did something similar today. I was in a tourny and it was me and this guy involved in a hand. He had 5-8 and I had 10-7. The flop and turn was something like 9-5-6 -8- . Once I saw that 8 I was very happy. So he bet 500 chips which was half of his stack. I re-raised him all in. He called. Guess what. One of the two cards he needed came up. A 5 came up on the river. I was so steamed after this happened. lol

So basically, I would have done the same thing.

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Coryan for the advice.. I've been doing alot of reading on pot odds and implied odds lately tring to learn as much as possible. But you just brought all together for me. Thank You. T

"It's not paranoia if they are really after you"

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Coryan for the advice.. I've been doing alot of reading on pot odds and implied odds lately tring to learn as much as possible. But you just brought all together for me. Thank You. T

[QUOTE]IT'S [/QUOTE]

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did something similar today. I was in a tourny and it was me and this guy involved in a hand. He had 5-8 and I had 10-7. The flop and turn was something like 9-5-6 -8- . Once I saw that 8 I was very happy. So he bet 500 chips which was half of his stack. I re-raised him all in. He called. Guess what. One of the two cards he needed came up. A 5 came up on the river. I was so steamed after this happened. lol

So basically, I would have done the same thing.
Unless I am missing something...these are two different situations. You had a made hand...a Ten-high straight. Your opponent had two pair. The other player was calling with only a hope of making a hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands