KK hand, $30 SnG

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is from a few days ago:
First hand of the tourney. Guess wtf was going through my head. :)

Attachments

• KKvsAT.JPG
    KKvsAT.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 43
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course it goes without saying that you should have raised pre-flop...(ah shoot! I just said it, didn't I? :p) So yeah, I guess I can figure out what you were thinking on the river...lol

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a pretty nasty beat there Chucks, but given the opportunity I think you know you would have played it differently

I can understand why you flat called preflop, KK short handed is a pretty huge hand but, as you know, early stages of the SnG's most of these players will be calling the low blinds to try and build a nice early stack. I would almost certainly be raising 4 x BB as standard, especially UTG

From there on you didnt do a great deal wrong, betting pot on flop and 2/3 on 4th street would be pretty standard plays given the board

The only way you could have got away from the hand is with the flush draw and straight draw out there but a flat call pf with A10os is not a normal play, especially at this level of play so its tough to put him on the nut straight. I guess more likely is something like QJ or KJ

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though you didn't raise preflop, your opponent probably would have called it anyway. I don't like the bet ater the turn. I would have bet AT LEAST the pot. If your opponent called that on the nut straight draw, well there was nothing you could do.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:
Even though you didn't raise preflop, your opponent probably would have called it anyway. I don't like the bet ater the turn. I would have bet AT LEAST the pot. If your opponent called that on the nut straight draw, well there was nothing you could do.

Thats a very valid point T, EXCEPT your opponent will have put you on a hand and will unlikely have called the flop bet. In this situation, your opponent feel you may be stealing a small pot and will call with his overcards

I am not saying this is for sure, but with AJ there are a few players out there who would be calling small bets with backdoor straight draws either end

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think another problem is, at this early stage in the game, it's hard to isolate the field anyway given the size of the blinds in relation to stacks. If you do the orthodox 4xbb preflop raise, what's that 40 chips? Hardly intimidating. I'm curious to see what you boys have to say about that. To me, the standard pre-flops raises at these early levels (especially the 5/10) are completely ineffective. You have to get creative.

Perhaps a pot-sized bet rather than a half-pot bet (on the turn) may have scared him off, but some people will chase to the bitter end. I can't tell you how many times I've been screwed by geniuses who call their 3-outter gut-shot to the river, when I have given them no odds to call what-so-ever.

But still Chuck, other than the PF play, I think you played it right. I think it was just that early level of blinds that didn't help you out here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally, this is how I'll try to play it:

Normally, raise to 50. Bet pot or slightly smaller then pot on the flop, then once I hit my set, bet the pot again. If he calls again and the river comes with that scary third flush and straight card, i check and decide what to do from there.

This is was what was going through my mind: I had just taken 2 other bad beats that knocked me out of the same types of sngs, and was definitely tilting.

PF: Aright! I'll just limp-raise someone so they don't get in with garbage. Oh crap, no raised behind me...I'll still be in good shape if the flop comes non-threatening.

Flop: Great flop, I'm most likely ahead...overbet the 45-chip pot. I get a caller, ok not terrible, he probably has KJ or QJ, maybe ace high. I'm just trying to keep this guy in the hand.

Turn: Ok...terrible bet IMO - I was just trying to keep the guy in the hand, thinking he probably just has a jack, or maybe he called the flop with ace-high thinking i was bluffing (typical donkey move). I bet slightly smaller than I would have liked.

(the dreaded) River: My brain is in super-tilt mode, and denied the possibility of a straight or flush. Bet slightly smaller than the pot, and got raised all in :(. Didn't think for a second, and clicked call.

I think he saw my turn bet as weak (which is what I was trying to advertise) after my pot-bet on the flop, and that's why he chased. I don't think I played it terribly, but there were definitely some things in there i would change (namely PF - I never limp-raise unless I'm sure that there's a maniac behind me who'll raise with anything, and also checking the river)
I was definitely tilting, and right after this game decided that was it for the day. My play was getting way too affected by these beats; I think I brought this one upon myself though.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands