L

lmjones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.30 MTT roughly 35/900 players.
Nit: VPIP = 10/PFR: 5/hands:144
Nit is 2 before the button with 30.5BB, i have 29.5BB. 9 Handed.
SB posts the small blind 2000.00
Hero posts the big blind 4000.00
UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
UTG+2 folds
MP1 folds
MP2(nit) raises to 8000.00
CO folds
BTN folds
SB folds
BB (hero) raises to 16873.00
Nit calls 8873.00
Flop: [Ah Qh Ad]
Hero bets 15134.00
Nit raises to 50391.00
Hero folds
35257.00 returned to Nit
Action has ended
Nit wins 70514.00

The whole hand i felt pretty much lost...I didn't really know how to play it against one who is that tight. I'm suspecting now i should probably just fold preflop as most of the time he's going to have a premium hand and if i do flop J or K high i'm still likely to behind. I don't really know if a call is an option neither with KJo, i'd generally prefer not to.
Thoughts?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop ,to make the game easier because hard to play against tight who mostly have the top range when you without position...

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding KJ preflop is quite tight, given you have really good odds to call his raise. You can just call and see the flop, play passively because your opponent is tight. Reraising will put you in a tough spot on flop with KJ out of position.
On the other hand, folding is a good choice if you are sure that your opponent only play premium hands.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like @Ducbim said , call preflop and check/fold on the flop,dont want to put more money in the pot OOP.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such a massive error this 3B vs this guy when we're in the BB closing the action I almost puked.

You say the guy is a nit, which is correct given stats.

Please explain the logic in the 3B? I could understand a 3B vs an aggressive opponent who doesn't fold to 3B's and rarely 4B's but vs a tight player he's not "stealing" so you're bloating a pot, OOP and basically are just turning a playable hand with good odds vs a range which crushes you into a bluff.

I assume this is a blocker bluff hand? Given there is no value raise here. It just doesn't need to be turned into a bluff though, I'd much prefer if you took a hand like 45s and 3B bluffed with it, at least we very likely have live cards and deceptive value to stack him but even then though vs this actual opponent it wouldn't be correct to ever 3B bluff him vs his range.

I'm not folding by the way I don't think pre flop, although I don't think it can be terrible to fold given how tight he is. The great odds we are getting, just call though man or fold pre, check fold flop don't start getting fancy vs nits in a $3.30 game when we can just steal all day long vs them and make good profit that way.

Overly tight guys and really loose guys are the ones we profit from. The only time the tight guys profit is when up against a fish who just spews of his stack or vs people like yourself who are trying to hard to win every pot vs him and will correctly just call your 3B with a strong range and wait for you to barrel off.

We profit vs the tight guys by calling with speculative hands IP when deeper stacked and out playing them post flop and when tournaments start to get shallow like in this case and they open, we just fold let them win a pot every now and again and we steal at every opportunity vs them and make tons more money vs them.

Don't let them play their game vs you and get you into a likely very marginal and losing spot OOP like this one where you're soooooooo often just dominated and donating.

Last edited:
L

lmjones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please explain the logic in the 3B? I could understand a 3B vs an aggressive opponent who doesn't fold to 3B's and rarely 4B's but vs a tight player he's not "stealing" so you're bloating a pot, OOP and basically are just turning a playable hand with good odds vs a range which crushes you into a bluff.

emotionally driven with a somewhat aggressive table leading me to be more aggressive against everyone else. Most of the time my spots were perfect and the moves i made were correct, except this one which i knew straight away was a stupid decision. Emotion over rid my logic. Looking back i just wasn't sure whether to play it as call and check fold flop or simply fold PF.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such a massive error this 3B vs this guy when we're in the BB closing the action I almost puked.

You say the guy is a nit, which is correct given stats.

I assume this is a blocker bluff hand? Given there is no value raise here. It just doesn't need to be turned into a bluff though, I'd much prefer if you took a hand like 45s and 3B bluffed with it, at least we very likely have live cards and deceptive value to stack him but even then though vs this actual opponent it wouldn't be correct to ever 3B bluff him vs his range.

I'm not folding by the way I don't think pre flop, although I don't think it can be terrible to fold given how tight he is. The great odds we are getting, just call though man or fold pre, check fold flop don't start getting fancy vs nits in a $3.30 game when we can just steal all day long vs them and make good profit that way.

Overly tight guys and really loose guys are the ones we profit from. The only time the tight guys profit is when up against a fish who just spews of his stack or vs people like yourself who are trying to hard to win every pot vs him and will correctly just call your 3B with a strong range and wait for you to barrel off.

We profit vs the tight guys by calling with speculative hands IP when deeper stacked and out playing them post flop and when tournaments start to get shallow like in this case and they open, we just fold let them win a pot every now and again and we steal at every opportunity vs them and make tons more money vs them.

Don't let them play their game vs you and get you into a likely very marginal and losing spot OOP like this one where you're soooooooo often just dominated and donating.
This is some of the best advice I have seen in a long time , very well put Ram........scorp:D

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is some of the best advice I have seen in a long time , very well put Ram........scorp:D

Very good advice, yeah. :mad:. Call would be a mistake, because most of the time we will be behind against the range of tight player , on the distance it will -EV . We fall under the domination AK AQ KQ , AJ , also vs all pairs... In most cases, if we get pair we give all stack without position...

I agree that there may only be call or 3bet( best option) with polarising range ( 63s+ 75s+ 89s A4s etc ) then if we get two pair or a straight , we can play on whole stack vs top range like top pair or overpair... For this we have the right odds that call....

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop was good for you, but at the same time really bad. He's a nit so easily playing with two broadway cards, maybe had AK, QK, AA or anything like that. Your fold was right and there was nothing you could have done as it was a big price to pay for a potential straight.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RamdeeBen put it better in words than I could have, and I agree with everything he said.