KJ - 5 handed to call all in?

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, Hero had KJd UTG+1.

The blinds were 10k/20k. I raised to 40K. I had stack of like 180k. The blinds are so deep, the other people had stack of 80k, 100k and 90k.

The guy on the button shoves for 83k, The blinds fold so there is already 80k from mine + blinds 30k+ 83k=193k.

I have to call 43k for 193k and i do know the guy is tight but the worst hand i would want to be with is AA, KK, AK. I just hope he had 10's or lower pairs.

So, i call and he has AK.

He wins. After that i have 93K. I am the big blind. I just get blinded out then.

Unlucky or should have fold KJ?

C

cyclone45

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is a fold for me..can't win with it.

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am getting 4-1 odds to call. Even i am against AK, i have 30% equity so i do not see how i can fold unless he had AA.

P

polda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how many people on the table?
as you described i guess it is 4 or 5 people left? in that case you should open shove with that hand. when game is so shalow you should be only shoving, when you want to play the hand.
as played you can never raise/fold vs these stack, so raise/call was good.

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final 5 in the final table and hence the stacks were so shallow.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With only 9BBs in your stack, you should be open shoving.

As the hand played out, your call was fine. You're getting 4-1 on your money and opponents shoving range is pretty wide with a little over 4BBs. 40% chance to win against A/x (under Q), flipping against mid pairs, and small edge against hands like QJ, K10, Q10s, etc. You just got unlucky to run into AK, but even then, you're about 25% fav to win.

How did you let yourself blind out though?

K

Krieseman

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold from me to many better hands

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold is too weak here given how large the pot is compared to how much to call. The shortstacks shove range is pretty wide with only 8BBs. Your hand is either a slight edge or a slight underdog against a lot of them. The only hand you're truly worried about is AA-QQ, and AK.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
King and Jack out of position is
a bad game it is necessary to
fold

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
King and Jack out of position is a bad game it is necessary to fold
it's 5 handed and you have 9 BBs. If not this hand, what hands are shoving in this situation? You're paying antes every hand and blinds every 3 hands.

If you're saying you're folding KJ when you have only call 40K more to win a pot of ~200K, thats even worse.

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The structure that i play is deep stacks but 20 min blinds. We get like 35K and slowly people get blinded out and the deeper we go, the more bingo it becomes because most will be shoving and calling games.

I think i am still learning process of hand ranges. Reading people's raising and calling ranges. Been playing for a year and half now. Got some good results but i am just dying hard to be monster winner and win a big one so i can go a year or so with just playing major tournaments.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The condition at the later stage is like a shootout.

With the table dynamics at hand, Ill go all in pre.

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the odds of 1:5, you have to call the all in with any thing, KJ was too good to fold there. Even with 72o or 83o a call is justified there. On the other hand with 9BB you should play a push/fold strategy and KJ is good to push in 5-handed table.

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that u made a mistake that u minraised from UTG with KJ. That is fold to me with only 9 blinds left. If u have folded u wouldnt find yourself in that situation. But in your place I would have called him also.

C

cantwinaflip

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have shoved pre, but forgetting that given how much is in the pot relative to how much it is to call. You simply have to call here with KJ as long as his range isn't just AA/KK here.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This easy call when short stack shove... But in final table i fold preflop this hand because many short stack and wait for a more suitable situation...

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It makes sense to call at the end of the tournament to call with KJ, it being late in the tournament blinds being high compared to stack sizes, waiting for a better hand you'll just be blinded out - I would have called as well..........:D:D:D

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With only 9BBs in your stack, you should be open shoving.

As the hand played out, your call was fine. You're getting 4-1 on your money and opponents shoving range is pretty wide with a little over 4BBs. 40% chance to win against A/x (under Q), flipping against mid pairs, and small edge against hands like QJ, K10, Q10s, etc. You just got unlucky to run into AK, but even then, you're about 25% fav to win.

How did you let yourself blind out though?

No need for anything past the 1st line.

YOU HAVE 9BB, the time for postflop play is over. You don't want any more decisions or someone to think they have fold equity on you by shoving. THEREFORE , shove your very good hand shorthanded and watch yourself profit in the long run.

Just open shove to start with.

Yes.

No, way too late now getting those odds. You could be dominated and you still need to call.

Fold is too weak here given how large the pot is compared to how much to call. The shortstacks shove range is pretty wide with only 8BBs. Your hand is either a slight edge or a slight underdog against a lot of them. The only hand you're truly worried about is AA-QQ, and AK.

Which is why not shoving was idiotic.

King and Jack out of position is
a bad game it is necessary to
fold

Shoving neutralizes position throughout the rest of the hand. Yet another reason we must be shoving now.

The structure that i play is deep stacks but 20 min blinds. We get like 35K and slowly people get blinded out and the deeper we go, the more bingo it becomes because most will be shoving and calling games.

I think i am still learning process of hand ranges. Reading people's raising and calling ranges. Been playing for a year and half now. Got some good results but i am just dying hard to be monster winner and win a big one so i can go a year or so with just playing major tournaments.

If you want to be a monster winner, you must play without fear in the late game and put other people to hard decisions. Shove good hands with less than 10BB and only 5 players...it's a no brainer.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
under 10BB the only thing i min is AA maybe

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands