IS THIS JUSTIFIED?

Ollie6

Ollie6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this the worst play ever by me (hero)? A few things to bear in mind -

- I'm the shortstack here at a relatively late stage of the Sit & Go and, though it's a min bet each time, it actually accumulates to = nearly half my original stack
- How do you rate the flat call to the min-raise preflop?
- Villain is an EXTREMELY strange player, a calling station who has a tendency to lead out post flop with pot sized bets
- Villain has occasionally been caught playing big hands overly slowly

***** Poker Hand History for Game 329245377 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee, Level:6 Blinds(100/200-(no ante)) - Wednesday, March 19, 18:19:37 GMT 2008
$10+$1 NL Holdem #1632001
Table 1 6-max (real money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of active players : 3
Seat 2: Villain ( 4,105 )
Seat 4: Hero ( 2,150 )
Seat 5: bushdoc ( 2,745 )
Tourney Level:6 Blinds(100/200-(no ante))
Villain posts small blind [100]
Hero posts big blind [200]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 8s, 2s ]
bushdoc folds
Villain raises to [400]
Hero calls [200]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, 2c, Kc ]
Villain bets [200]
Hero calls [200]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6d ]
Villain bets [200]
Hero calls [200]
** Dealing River ** [ 4d ]
Villain bets [200]
Hero calls [200]
** Showdown **

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Showdown to follow depending on demand.

Cheers,

Ollie

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
something like 5s with 5c or AQ AJ with hi club....:cool:

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't have called the raise pre flop, even though its a min raise that is just a terrible hand and you're pretty much in a spot where you should be going all in or nothing. Then if you really thought he was betting with less than a pair of twos you should have just shoved, calling down with bottom pair with such a short stack doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm guessing that he showed down nothing and you wanted to post here as a hidden brag, but I could be wrong.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I think this is a push or fold situation. Nothing good can come with playing 82 shortstacked in a raised pot. Because you are shortstacked you have no implied odds and are just spewing chips imo. I'm sure you won this, but results are irrelevant. You've just thrown half your stack away with bottom pair and not even a very good kicker.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min-raise PF could mean a lot a hands. Possible Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx, 10x, lots of straight combinations, mid pair, junk, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if villian showed 66 with 6c or maybe Ac/x hand. Possible villian flopped flush and is milking you.

Anyway, fold this hand PF or shove if you think you can get away with it. Calling PFR and call down bets with bottom pair/weak kicker on possible flush/flush draw/straight draw board is pretty dumb. Not a lot of good will come out of this.

I agree with others, I think you won this hand. Villain was probably on a type of draw and missed.

Last edited:
S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold every street except river where your committed to call

Some seriously awful bubble play from the shortstack

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the pf call either. I can't for the life of me even think of any decent justification for calling there.:confused:

If you won this, great. You could have, no, probably should have, had a blindfold on. At least then you would have an excuse!;)

You 'M' was ok before this hand, so there was nothing pressing you to play it.
You are a bit concerned about this villain, so what is your justification for calling pf?:eek:

Ollie6

Ollie6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take the point about preflop - I should probably have folded, though he had been chucking out min raises very frequently preflop, so I thought his range might be quite wide and I could donk postflop (I turned out to be wrong about this).

Postflop I just felt that, if Villain had a hand, the action would have sped up a lot considering our stack sizes in relation to the pot - but given that he had slowplayed big hands in this way before, I wanted to get to the showdown without committing my entire stack and show a hand which could beat the low end of his range (I took the high end to be a king, but this didn't seem likely). I thought all the way through - 'he's min raising and min betting here, that shows very little strength doesn't it?'

Anyway, the showdown is as follows:

** Showdown **
Villain shows [ Jd, Ad ] high card Ace
Hero shows [ 8s, 2s ] a pair of Deuces
** Hand Conclusion **
Hero wins 2,000 from main pot with a pair of Deuces
************ Game 329245377 ends ************

This really isn't a hidden brag or anything, because I think on the whole I lucked out after playing the hand quite strangely.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think the justification for calling preflop is you have 3:1 pot odds, and versus a random hand that's technically enough.

The reason not to call despite the odds is that you're not going to know when you're ahead even if you do have the best hand. In fact, that's exactly what happened (though you lucked out that he kept betting AND you kept calling). Generally, you have almost no implied odds. On top of that, you may still pay off when you're way behind. So the odds are worse than they look on the surface, because I think most people pay off more when they're behind (or fall behind) than they extract in value when they're ahead.

The only saving grace is that you're in position, which is not nearly enough, IMO.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ah, the old three barrel minbet bluff, well played villain imo.

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'he's min raising and min betting here, that shows very little strength doesn't it?'

Anyway, the showdown is as follows:

** Showdown **
Villain shows [ Jd, Ad ] high card Ace
Hero shows [ 8s, 2s ] a pair of Deuces
** Hand Conclusion **
Hero wins 2,000 from main pot with a pair of Deuces
************ Game 329245377 ends ************

This really isn't a hidden brag or anything, because I think on the whole I lucked out after playing the hand quite strangely.

exactly....nice call and his min bettin thru told what his hand was..and not even a club!!!:cool:

P

PokrBoi21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
u should have folded the minute they gave u the cards.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes open folding in the BB when heads up before the action has even got to you is really smart imo

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[ ] solid play by hero and villain
[x] lol donkaments