JTs vs shortstack UTG shove and call

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a vent or a bitch or a worry...I'm just curious.

3 way pot with no chance of raising as the other two were all in. I figured had I won it, I increase my stack by quite a bit, and should I lose, I have a long time left.

pokerstars Game #20749971801: Tournament #109332482, $0.25+$0.00 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2008/09/27 22:38:16 ET
Table '109332482 83' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: kougan38 (1085 in chips)
Seat 2: Saks 5th Ave (880 in chips)
Seat 3: AcesInTheBig (13445 in chips)
Seat 4: latingerman (1518 in chips)
Seat 6: diamante 63 (3175 in chips)
Seat 7: p0kerb1atch (1005 in chips)
Seat 8: ColorsFade (855 in chips)
Seat 9: wonka817 (4842 in chips)
ColorsFade: posts small blind 50
wonka817: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to wonka817 [Th Jh]
Blaze is connected
kougan38: raises 985 to 1085 and is all-in
Saks 5th Ave: folds
AcesInTheBig: folds
latingerman: folds
diamante 63: folds
p0kerb1atch: calls 1005 and is all-in
ColorsFade: folds
wonka817: calls 985
*** FLOP *** [8h 8s 6h]
*** TURN *** [8h 8s 6h] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [8h 8s 6h Ad] [9d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
wonka817: shows [Th Jh] (a pair of Eights)
kougan38: shows [Td Kc] (a pair of Eights - Ace+King kicker)
kougan38 collected 160 from side pot
p0kerb1atch: shows [Tc As] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
p0kerb1atch collected 3065 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3225 Main pot 3065. Side pot 160. | Rake 0
Board [8h 8s 6h Ad 9d]
Seat 1: kougan38 showed [Td Kc] and won (160) with a pair of Eights
Seat 2: Saks 5th Ave folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: AcesInTheBig folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: latingerman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: diamante 63 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: p0kerb1atch (button) showed [Tc As] and won (3065) with two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 8: ColorsFade (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: wonka817 (big blind) showed [Th Jh] and lost with a pair of Eights

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would prefer to have an A preferably or at least a K here. i dont mind callin the 2 allins, and it didnt hurt you too bad, but i would fold this i think. no need to get involved with them here. het them take each other out.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I probably would have.. I like playing the suited high cards, as long as both cards are 10-A.

Now, if it was for all my chips, or half my chips.. I might not have.

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I replied to you earlier Y....I don't know what happened...LOL

Anyhow, I had said....in a 3 way pot like that, isn't an ace or a king even MORE dangerous?? I mean unless one or both the guys are paired....they're both going to have an ace(that's what people in 25 cent tourneys go all in with)

In a similar situation, I think that I do this again....I KNEW that those 800 chips were all that I was calling with that hand as nobody else in the hand had more chips.....It was totally a positional call.

Had I been sitting anywhere between the two all in players, I'd have folded without question.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i see what your sayin, but if your calling with a chance to put somebody out, i wouldnt give them credit for havin a monster a lot of the time. they get desperate and shove with random cards, so your random A or K could carry you. i should say im not in love with this, but if you feel like your ahead, why not?

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh no...we both KNOW I wasn't ahead preflop....and I'm normally not in position to make this call...LOL either it happens and I'm out of position at the table or I just dont' have the chips to do it.

I'm not ignoring your opinion or trying to argue. Just looking to see if others would make the call....I'm sure many wouldn't and many would.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No i don't think i would of have coz i would be putting them on high cards that were better then my J10.
But to call or not was up to you.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope! Sorry, wonk, but imho a fold would be the proper move--:eek:

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be sorry guys.....Like I said, normally I wouldn't make the call....but, in the spot I was sitting I knew I wouldn't be putting any more chips in the pot and was still sitting with right around an average stack....I really just took a stab.

I'm not going to scroll up and I'm not making excuses, but, I'm sure in this hand I'd have ended up all in UNLESS I fold preflop...meaning..had the raise been a normal 3x bb raise....I would have called....and once the flop hit, I'm calling any bets by those two just with the flush draw. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought....Thanks for the replies everyone...:)

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thought of chipping up by taking out 2 short stacks is tempting. but with these 2 particlular cards I dont think I am calling. I want to keep my chips for betting in a better situation.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you fold whether it's a shove or a 3bb raise.

some guy is shoving utg for 10bbs. he does not have to shove yet - he can fold and retain some fold equity, but he has chosen to shove into 7 other players. then, someone calls this utg shove. the shover and the caller are almost never doing this with anything JTs is ahead of. do you think they're shoving and calling with T9 and J3? The best you can hope for is that you're flipping against two underpairs, but that too is unlikely. you're most likely up against Ax-type hands, and if you're unlucky one or both of them will be AJ/AT.

keep your chips, don't spew them making very loose calls, they will come in useful when the blinds get hiked up.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you fold whether it's a shove or a 3bb raise.

keep your chips, don't spew them making very loose calls, they will come in useful when the blinds get hiked up.

Completely agree. Save them for bigger and better pots where you're most likely at better odds to win.

A

artsmith1296

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you were obviously behind and possible up against Ax from eith player. Fold and wait for a better opportunity. It might be worth calling a normal bet to see the flop but to call all in with just a drawing hand doesn't compute.