JJ in tournament, OOP. blinds at 50/100

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really have the hand history, since PT does not support bodog Tourney HHF. We start with 1500 in chips

From what I recall:

I was in the middle position, there were two limpers, I raised to 350 and folded round to one limper who calls. He has a stack of about 1250 and I have about 2350 before I raised.

Flop: (950)
:ks4: :kh4: :10d4:

Not a great flop for me, however, he's been pretty loose, he checks. This is not a time for me to be passive, I thought. So I threw out a probe bet of 400, leaving myself with about 1600. He calls.

Turn: (1750)
:2c4:

Harmless looking card, I'm a little cautious here, have a feeling he's holding a King. He checks.

Up to this point, I'm not sure if I made the right play. Naturally, he does not believe that I'm holding a K. If he's thinking that I'm holding QQ-AA, and he's holding a K, naturally he'd just call and let me hang myself.

I checked.

River: (1750)
:10s4:

Bad bad bad... after a long while, he bets all-in for 500. To me, it's a clear fold. Any hole cards like ten, King has me beat. He could be a super donk with Q10 or the likes and sucked out on the river. either way, I'm fu*ked. He could be making a move. In any case, I'm out-played.

Any thoughts on how I played?

P.S. I'm not OOP as in the thread title.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check behind this flop. likely he only has ace high and can take a stab with air on the turn. a call on the turn will shut him down & we can check behind on the river.

this is pretty wa/wb, i think. if he has the king we're drawing to 2 outs. if he has any other hand except aq we're pretty far ahead & can let him think his hand is best.

blinds are still only 50/100. even though it is likely he can make this play on you with either A high or a medium pair, 1600 gives us plenty of time to pick a better spot.

onebourbon

onebourbon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold...I would have played it exactly the same, I'm sure he/she is happy to have maxed out the value of their big slick slow play on this hand. They did have big slick right? :confused:

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check behind this flop. likely he only has ace high and can take a stab with air on the turn. a call on the turn will shut him down & we can check behind on the river.

this is pretty wa/wb, i think. if he has the king we're drawing to 2 outs. if he has any other hand except aq we're pretty far ahead & can let him think his hand is best.

blinds are still only 50/100. even though it is likely he can make this play on you with either A high or a medium pair, 1600 gives us plenty of time to pick a better spot.

Great play, I never thought of it this way. The danger I see is that he goes all-in on the turn, that will be a tough decision. I think I'll try it next time, if I ever get into a situation like that.

Bourbon: He didn't show his hand, plus he didn't raise preflop. Probably a super donk hand like T7o or K2o. lol

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surprised nobody said this, but raise more pre-flop with two limpers in ahead of you. 3xBB + 1 BB for each limper is generally the standard, some do 4+1, so I'd make it ~500 preflop, especially with a hand so vulnerable as JJ. You're giving them too good of odds.

onebourbon

onebourbon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Dang...you didn't say if he/she was in BB or SB position. I bet ya(being the betting kind of guy I am....lol) that you r so correct....BB special with Ksquat off with a slight investment needed... swimming to the riv to drop the hammer meanstwhile pretending to be fishing for an Ace....

Hmmmmmm.....:joyman:

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surprised nobody said this, but raise more pre-flop with two limpers in ahead of you. 3xBB + 1 BB for each limper is generally the standard, some do 4+1, so I'd make it ~500 preflop, especially with a hand so vulnerable as JJ. You're giving them too good of odds.

I don't really subscribe to this method, with most of our stack at 2000+, some of them 3K and 4K, and I forgot to mention, it's a fairly tight passive table other than 2 particularly loose players, usually a raise to 350 will get most of the donk hands out. In this case, I've gone heads-up.

It's just unlucky that he flopped a boat...

He wasn't in the BB or SB. I remembered he's UTG or one off.