JJ hand, Sunday million.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apologies for not having the hand history. PT didnt import it for some reason.

Blinds 50/100 first level. N: Holdem $200+$15. 9 handed. 3rd hand of the tournament.

Im sitting in MP with [Jh] [Jc]

UTG+1 min-raises to 200, I 3 bet to 600, BB min raises, we both call.

Flop [2h] [5c] [10d]

BB open shoves the rest of his 10K stack. No reads.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold here. This early in the tournament It's not worth risking it all on a coin flip at best because you could already be beat to a higher pocket pair or trip tens. You still have 90% of your chip stack left. The motto for tournaments is "Tight is Right". His overbet looks like a bluff sure, but he could be doin that to make you think that hopin to get a call. I wouldn't wanna find out. Save your chips for solid hands and stealing blinds later in the tournament, just my opinion.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, we know you survived that, but is it a question?

I wasn't watching but I'll guess you folded it.

What I did see, was you surviving. Which brings up something possibly more important than hand odds, pot odds, implied odds, and handicapping odds. In a tourney, survival is more important than all of those. Yes, you steal when you can, but you have to avoid serious confrontations even when that requires donning a chicken suit.

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
prolly should be in the tournament section but umm yea no point risking it this earlier man. How did u finish in this tourney?

333 posts btw (fav num=3)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
prolly should be in the tournament section but umm yea no point risking it this earlier man. How did u finish in this tourney?

333 posts btw (fav num=3)

Yea, so used to posting in the ring section, mod plz move this.

I cashed for $650ish,

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you folded and he showed 72os right?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold. given preflop action, i'm playing pretty much for set value from that point on. chance of higher pair is way way too high, even in this donkament. didn't hit your set, facing more heavy action, so i'd muck it

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold. given preflop action, i'm playing pretty much for set value from that point on. chance of higher pair is way way too high, even in this donkament. didn't hit your set, facing more heavy action, so i'd muck it

If this , the Sunday Millions, is a donkament, what isn't? Doesn't leave very many tourneys that don't fit that bill.

I watched for a long while, and though I missed the first 2 hours, where undoubtedly, all the donkament part of any tourney happens, I did see a different kind of poker. I got there just short of the third break, and what I saw was that if someone was gonna be in a hand, he was going all the way. In about 80% of the cases where a standard raise was made, and a reraise happens, the original raiser folds.

Later , midway in the 4th hour, the standard raise had just about disappeared, replaced by instashoves. By this time, all were ITM, and were jockeying for more. With several hundred spots to go, each fold was worth about 1/3 the change in prize to make the next prize level. They were getting in about 3 hands per prize level. Thus the 1/3. Folks were real tight and explosively aggressive.

I sort of considered myself tourney savvy, but what I watched was something I had not seen on such a scale before. Perhaps I am the noob everyone has tried to tell me I am.:confused:

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i just mean he's in the donkament portion of the sunday million. first half an hour, very early on, tons of satellite qualifiers who don't know how to play a tournament like this, etc. i mean, there's 3000 players or something crazy like that. the play can be surprisingly awful for a high buy-in event

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Blinds 50/100 first level. N: Holdem $200+$15. 9 handed. 3rd hand of the tournament.

Im sitting in MP with J♥ J♣

Flop 2♥ 5♣ 10♦

Fold, what can you beat here?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no reads this is a relatively routine fold (and I'm sure you know this ^^) - it looks far too much like someone playing AA/KK horribly. Sure, it could be someone playing AK/AT/99/some other random hand horribly too, but calling off a stack so early with so much uncertainty surrounding the hand would be terrible.

dj11 said:
If this , the Sunday Millions, is a donkament, what isn't? Doesn't leave very many tourneys that don't fit that bill.

A lot of people seem to be under the illusion that the Sunday Million field is tough. Sure, many online pros play it, but the quality of the field in general is not too dissimilar from your average mid-stakes online tournament (and the bad players are really, really horrible).

Edit: Moved thread~

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That, pretty much. TT is also very possible here. There's no reason to call here.

Well put, combu.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Flop 2♥ 5♣ 10♦

Everyone above said is basically the same as I would have said.

You have to fold here. JJ, on that board, just asking to get busted after an open shove. Yes sometimes, 50/50 even I'd say, its an AK just playing the stop-and-go that already made up his mind that he was going to shove any flop, but it's not worth it at this stage in the tourney. What did the UTG guy do?? I mean he acts in front of you (don't know if this was asked above, if so just ignore), I'm assuming he folded because you left his action out? Either way, doesn't matter, still have to fold in this particular situation.

Also, one minor detail you messed up, blinds are 25/50 in the first stage of the Sunday Mil, not 50/100--but that doesn't really matter in this decision.

Oh and TB, how long did it take, to get to the point where you busted out? 4 hours-ish?

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I watched for a long while, and though I missed the first 2 hours, where undoubtedly, all the donkament part of any tourney happens, I did see a different kind of poker. I got there just short of the third break, and what I saw was that if someone was gonna be in a hand, he was going all the way. In about 80% of the cases where a standard raise was made, and a reraise happens, the original raiser folds.

Later , midway in the 4th hour, the standard raise had just about disappeared, replaced by instashoves. By this time, all were ITM, and were jockeying for more. With several hundred spots to go, each fold was worth about 1/3 the change in prize to make the next prize level. They were getting in about 3 hands per prize level. Thus the 1/3. Folks were real tight and explosively aggressive.

I sort of considered myself tourney savvy, but what I watched was something I had not seen on such a scale before. Perhaps I am the noob everyone has tried to tell me I am.:confused:

There is a point in the tourney where almost everyone has fairly low M's. 5 to 25 times the BB. So what happens is when they get a hand any bet that's made pot commits them anyway or if you raise and fold to a reraise your M gets real low. So people start shoving hoping to pick up the blinds or at worse get into a race. Very little limping at this stage. Limping and mini-raising usually means a big hand trying to get some action.

The tourney is at a stage where a blind increase can bring your M from 35 to 20 just like that so there is alot of pressure.

M

Mvemjsunpx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Flop 2♥ 5♣ 10♦

What did UTG+1 do after the shove?

I think you have to fold here, especially if UTG+1 calls.
At least one of them probably has a higher pair or a set.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG folded. I though about this for 30 or so seconds and folded. He "could" have a hand like AK but its unlikely. I folded it, caught out the same guy overplaying A7s (lol) about 2 hours later and stacked him.

Estelle, I think i lasted around 5 hours.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands