Was I wrong to call this

G

goterps7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #16204733117: Tournament #82043316, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2008/03/23 - 23:07:41 (ET)
Table '82043316 1' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: naa213 (2039 in chips)
Seat 4: goterps7 (4110 in chips)
Seat 5: TxBlue27 (4576 in chips)
Seat 9: mittens1106 (2775 in chips)
mittens1106: posts small blind 100
naa213: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to goterps7 [Ah Js]
goterps7: raises 400 to 600
TxBlue27: folds
mittens1106: folds
naa213: raises 1439 to 2039 and is all-in
goterps7: calls 1439
*** FLOP *** [Jh 2d 4d]
*** TURN *** [Jh 2d 4d] [2c]
*** RIVER *** [Jh 2d 4d 2c] [Ks]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
naa213: shows [Ad Qh] (a pair of Deuces)
goterps7: shows [Ah Js] (two pair, Jacks and Deuces)
goterps7 collected 4178 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4178 | Rake 0
Board [Jh 2d 4d 2c Ks]
Seat 1: naa213 (big blind) showed [Ad Qh] and lost with a pair of Deuces
Seat 4: goterps7 showed [Ah Js] and won (4178) with two pair, Jacks and Deuces
Seat 5: TxBlue27 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: mittens1106 (small blind) folded before Flop

I admit, he had a better hand, but I got lucky. The question is, was I wrong to call this? four handed, so I thought it was a decent play.

The guy went crazy after this hand, he started spamming the chat and wouldn't leave. It became very frustrating.

Should I have folded pre-flop?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, I dont think this call was bad at all.
Opponent is shortstack with about 10 BBs, so their range of hands is pretty wide and you have a decent hand that can beat most pushing hands. KQ, KJ, K10, J10, A10 and lower, suited connectors, etc. Even if your opponent had low-mid pairs, it would be a race situation and you're getting about 2:1 on your money to call.

The only hands we worry about here is AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, and AQ(heh). So, not a whole lot to be worried about and you beat out a huge range of hands.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard call unless the guy is the biggest predictable nit the world. AJ is a pretty big hand 4handed when the effective stacks involved are 10 BBs. you're also getting close to 2:1

just so you know, in the future you should leave out results... you often get better less biased responses that way. also incorporate reads if you have any

G

goterps7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the input guys. Also, I'm new, but from now on I'll leave out the results. Thanks again.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea pretty standard call i would say. You still have enough chips to still be in it if you lose the hand, and you are getting like 3:1 on your money, with a hand that could very well have him dominated.

newfyninja

newfyninja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a spot I would have called but not felt real good about it (I'm always pessimistic) but like some of the other guys have said, all the right elements were there to make it a pretty easy call.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm inclined to go with the crowd and say call because of all the reasons stated above, but I'll dig a little deeper and mention a crucial factor in hands like these - reads. If this player hasn't raised a hand in the entire tourney I have no problem folding AJ here, especially in this stage of the tournament, the bubble. If you call and lose, which will happen a fair amount of the time if the player is particularly tight, you'll become the shortstack and it will become harder to place in the money. On the other hand, if you fold under these conditions, you'll still have a healthy stack. Your stack isn't the only thing you have to consider on the bubble either; his range is probably tighter than earlier in the tourney since even micro stakes players fear busting on the bubble. In conclusion, you made the right move if you didn't put him on the "nit" category, and you shouldn't ever be affected by what other people say about your plays. You're playing to make money, not satisfy others, right?

F

Fermion5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard raise UTG 4handed. Didn't calculate it, but looks like attractive pot odds. Standard call, unfortunate to be dominated, but nothing you can do.

Learn pot odds, they are important in these spots. They aren't the only thing that matters, just a factor to consider, and the first factor that I consider in this spot. Sometimes the pot odds are so good that you make the call without worrying about the range of your opponent. Sometimes it's borderline and you have to factor in read and range.

Most people at microstakes know nothing of pot odds and will berate you for a standard call of an all in. Overthinking the hand like ABorges is a bit unnecessary.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The point of this topic is kinda to discuss this hand. I merely tried to analyze this hand the way I try to when I play. I said I'd call unless he was extremely tight through the whole tournament and his whole range had me over 2 to 1. If you think my post was "overthinking" this hand, I just wanted to give my thoughts on the play to the original poster, which kinda is the point of making this sort of thread...

G

goterps7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Aborges in the sense that if I thought the person who made the raise was extremley tight then it would have been a much harder call for me. However, that was not the case, so i made the call. I appreciate everyone's input and will use the advice in my future play. Thanks.