I should have raised preflop?

jasonallen28

jasonallen28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand info:

Date:2008/11/11 19:48:08 ETType:Tournament (119916940)Game:Hold'em NLTable:'119916940 1' 9-maxBlinds: $75/150

Table info:

Seat 1: jtoots ($1,515)
Dealer
Seat 2: stevo33xx ($2,737)
Posts small blind $75
Seat 5: RicheyGirls ($3,002)
Posts big blind $150
Seat 6: xthunder1 ($2,730)
Seat 8: jasonallen28 ($2,895)
Seat 9: orangetorp ($2,916)

Dealt to jasonallen28
Ac.png
Jc.png

Check odds
Preflop: (Pot: $225)

CALL jasonallen28, $150
FOLD orangetorp
FOLD jtoots
CALL stevo33xx, $150
RAISE RicheyGirls, to $450
FOLD xthunder1
CALL jasonallen28, $300
CALL stevo33xx, $300

Check odds
Flop: (Pot: $1,500)

Tc.png
2h.png
Qc.png

CHECK RicheyGirls
CHECK jasonallen28
CHECK stevo33xx

Check odds
Turn: (Pot: $1,500)

Tc.png
2h.png
Qc.png
3c.png

CHECK RicheyGirls
CHECK jasonallen28
CHECK stevo33xx

River: (Pot: $1,500)

Tc.png
2h.png
Qc.png
3c.png
Qd.png

BET RicheyGirls, $600
RAISE jasonallen28, to $2,445 and is ALL-IN
FOLD stevo33xx
CALL RicheyGirls, $1,845

Showdown:

SHOWS jasonallen28
Ac.png
Jc.png

SHOWS RicheyGirls
Th.png
Td.png

RicheyGirls wins the pot of $6,390 with a full house, Tens full of Queens

KoenigKing

KoenigKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i would have raised at least the minimum, but the thing is it would have been very hard to get him off that hand considering if you went all in the odds of her/he folding that hand is slim, and if you did raise the minimum its a definite call, you were trapped from the beggining lol :)

califantasy

califantasy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer: no.

In this case, it wouldn't have mattered. Do you think that the big-stack at the table wouldn't have come back over the top with 2 tens? Likely you would have never seen the flop if you reraise and then she goes all-in.

Tough break.

6 handed, AJs is a decent starting hand, and you should try to get at least the blinds to fold preflop, but in this case you were facing a raise from the big stack who happened to be a blind.

If you were looking for another way to look at the hand, your opponent raised pre-flop and then waited until the board was paired to show post-flop aggression, and her preflop raise was out-of-position. Then after she finally bets, you came over the top for all of your chips. I know you think it could have been just trips, but if it were AQ you would likely have seen a bet before the river to keep you from catching up.

The checks on the flop and turn tell you that she is really strong and waiting for you to catch up or she is really weak. Either way, it makes no sense to raise her on the end, because the only hands she is likely to call your raise with beat you.

Last edited:
P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even if you would of raised, it would be unlikely he would get off the hand. she was also the chipleader but not by too much. if you were going to bet, it should of been on the turn, where you could of represented a flush and may of got him to lay it down.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6-handed you should raise out AJs pre-flop and if you get re-raised you have to make a decision based on stats/reads.

As played, you love the check on the flop so take the free card. On the turn you want to make a 2/3 pot bet as this sets up your river bet. Based on your reads you will then have to determine what to do when the river pairs the board. The point is you need to bet for value on the turn and not slow play.

jasonallen28

jasonallen28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input ev1 and I greatly apreicate the advice.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to agree with Pokerking 123. My take would be if you had bet on the flop and turn she may have folded.

She was obviuosly playing her set slowly. However, had you bet on the flop and she checked-rasied you could have folded. Alot less of your money she would have.

If she flat called (had you bet on the flop) and then you bet "say Pot" with your flush after the turn...and she called she would not have had the correct odds to do it. Even though she won.

I would think since she slow played the set...she had enough skill to have known you had the flush.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely want to be opening the pot with AJ suited, 6 handed, in position.. unless you were just mixing up your play. If you'd have raised preflop you might have been able to get away from the hand before it even started (assuming the BB would still reraise 10,10).

As it played out I reckon you were going to lose a lot of chips anyway no matter what you did.

The flop check by the opponent is a real danger sign, especially after the preflop reraise.. perhaps the only suggestion would have been to just call down the river when the board paired, as it played out.

Even if you'd have led out on the flop you would have been in trouble.. it's just an unlucky hand.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont mind you checkn on flop but especially online you need to bet when you have something. I know you have seen many people try to slow play online and get screwed by slowplaying.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really not sure what i would do pre flop. in a full ring i would most likely fold and sometimes call hardly ever would i raise. on the flop w/as many as 15 outs i bet close to the size of the pot. if i get played back at i shove. on the turn i most definatly bet. i want people to chase a draw if they got one. if they got a flush already then all the better. but i think its more likely to get money from a draw now as most likely they miss. and it'll be tough to make money off a busted draw. but here on the river i think i pay off here.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually believe your problem was not betting on the turn.

You should read Phil Gordons little blue book, one of his stories have Phil flopping a diamond flush and he checks to a guy with two black aces, who checks behind him, only too have a diamond hit the turn, losing all his action.

I believe it is always correct to bet this turn card, you hit the nuts, now all you can get is action, someone with a K of clubs, or someone with some kind of calling hand. Especially because it is online, and slow-playing kills you online. As well as, the outcome of your cards would be different due to the RNG shuffle, and he most likely would not have hit his boat.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being second to act I would raise at least 3x preflop and get 1 on 1 action. if you decide to check and he checks behind trying to trap you well the same outcome will occur, but if he bets into you trying to get you off a draw, then you might have considered folding and saving yourself