I played my aq utg what should i have done differently

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played in the 1000$ gte euro tournament on fullflush today the blinds are 300-150 I was utg and first too act with aq unsuited I had 13000 chips. I decided too raise too 700 chips. It get fold around too middle position and they re raise me too 1500. folds around to me and i decide too call there is 3400 in the pot. the flop goes 2-a-k with two spades. i decide too chceck and he bets out 1800 i decide too call the turn comes a 3 of hearts i check and he bets out again with the pot at 6700 he bets out 4000 and i decide too call on the river comes the jack of hearts the play has 3000 left and i decie too bet 700 he puts me all in i think about it for a minute and decide too call. The player shows ak too have too two pair in the hand what should i have done differently

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you were playing too passively, you check called every round and that shows weakness. On the flop you could have check raised to see where you are at. If he goes over the top all in, you can put him on AK, AA, KK and get away from the hand because they are the hands that are betting in that pattern. Top pair strong kicker is usually beat in the these situations.

A lot of this also depends on your table image and the table image of the other player. You should have had a good read on him to justify your play even outside of the odds.

W

Will_o_Wisp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplay flop with possibly second best hand is dangerous idea. Actually you can be already beaten (rerise is a warning sign), so you should try to find out there you stand. Check raise in this case or c bet could give some information and save stack.
Considering flop, i would c bet and if he rerise flop without second thoughts.

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you dont think the player you are playing against has enough bluffs you dont call turn , you either fold or go all in there.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
probably folding to the initial 3bet, but it depends how deep the villian is which is the missing piece of info here, also since there are no reads on the villian we have to assume he's raising a strong range here that AQ does not do very well against especially since we are OOP for the entire postflop situation. best to just let these spots go and raise more spots in weaker positions with weaker hands.

As played it's very much a WA/WB spot in which we are better off letting him be the aggressor and we're rarely folding, as if we called this preflop, it was for the reason that we either have a read that he does this with worse hands that we dominate alot or the general player pool raises much weaker hands alot to make calling to postflop acceptable. But once we get there, it's the best hand our hand hits often, so we're rarely folding once we take it postflop and if we do it makes our preflop call even worse.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQos is a bad hand to play out of position. The main thing you could of done differently is fold to the 3 bet pre.

mrBigA

mrBigA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On flop you had to raise, and if you got re-raised or all-in, you had to fold.