Did I play this right?

Xife

Xife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been debating this with a buddy of mine...

Players(max 9):
Xife (755.00 in seat 3)
BalooLiz_ (1,905.00 in seat 5)
KerouacDog (1,010.00 in seat 6)
LoDog (1,115.00 in seat 7)
gord962 (2,000.00 in seat 8)
getgot (380.00 in seat 9)

Dealer: gord962
Small Blind: getgot (50.00)
Big Blind: Xife (100.00)

Xife was dealt: 8s - Qh

BalooLiz_ Fold
KerouacDog Fold
LoDog Fold
gord962 Fold
getgot Call (50.00)
Xife Check

Flop Jh - 8d - 6h

getgot Check
Xife Bet (155.00)
getgot All-In (280.00)
Xife Call (125.00)

Turn Jh - 8d - 6h - 7h
River Jh - 8d - 6h - 7h - 8h

getgot shows: Ad - Js (two pairs, jacks and eights)
Xife shows: 8s - Qh (a flush, queen high)

Xife wins: 760.00 (with a flush, queen high)
Rake: 0.00

I figured he would have pushed all in with just about any face card, being short stacked and only facing me... When he reraised me all in on the flop, i had a feeling he was just being a desperate short stack (Note i'm pretty short stacked too in comparison to the blinds).. Figured he was on middle pair with a lower kicker or bottom pair... Was only 125 to call into a 635 pot.. seems like a no brainer to me but my buddy keeps argueing saying I played it badly and got lucky...

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you called there thinking your pair of 8's was good, you were wrong and got lucky :)

But you were also pot committed and had no real option of folding to 125 bet at a 635 pot.. what is that? 5 to 1 at least.

You had outs, and got them, and had the right odds to call. Not a bad play... but it sucks for the other guy :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I push this preflop most of the time. Failing that, just push the flop, no point leaving him 125 behind if you're calling a push (which you should be and did as played).

Xife

Xife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you called there thinking your pair of 8's was good, you were wrong and got lucky :)

But you were also pot committed and had no real option of folding to 125 bet at a 635 pot.. what is that? 5 to 1 at least.

You had outs, and got them, and had the right odds to call. Not a bad play... but it sucks for the other guy :)

Ok thanks for quick reply... I do realize i got lucky obviously, but as you said i was pot commited.. and it looked like he was just being desperate..

I will point my buddy into this thread :)

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You bet on your 2nd highest pair after the flop, I wouldn't have expected him to have the J either being that he was short stacked I would have played it the same way knowing even that I might take a small chunk out o my chips. Yes you got very lucky considering he did have the J. But I'm pretty sure thats y it's called gambling!!

S

smitdawg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it just fine to. The other guy should have pushed preflop so that was his mistake and that usually sets you up for getting outdrawn on. The bet on the flop was fine because I would figure my pair was good to but you had to call getting a little over five to one I think you played it fine. I can't think of any other way to play it that would be more reasonable.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been debating this with a buddy of mine...

Players(max 9):
Xife (755.00 in seat 3)
BalooLiz_ (1,905.00 in seat 5)
KerouacDog (1,010.00 in seat 6)<-----my highest chipcount! started with 1000 chips
LoDog (1,115.00 in seat 7)
gord962 (2,000.00 in seat 8)
getgot (380.00 in seat 9)

Dealer: gord962
Small Blind: getgot (50.00)
Big Blind: Xife (100.00)

Xife was dealt: 8s - Qh

BalooLiz_ Fold
KerouacDog Fold
LoDog Fold
gord962 Fold
getgot Call (50.00)
Xife Check

Flop Jh - 8d - 6h

getgot Check
Xife Bet (155.00)
getgot All-In (280.00)
Xife Call (125.00)

Turn Jh - 8d - 6h - 7h
River Jh - 8d - 6h - 7h - 8h

getgot shows: Ad - Js (two pairs, jacks and eights)
Xife shows: 8s - Qh (a flush, queen high)

Xife wins: 760.00 (with a flush, queen high)
Rake: 0.00

I figured he would have pushed all in with just about any face card, being short stacked and only facing me... When he reraised me all in on the flop, i had a feeling he was just being a desperate short stack (Note i'm pretty short stacked too in comparison to the blinds).. Figured he was on middle pair with a lower kicker or bottom pair... Was only 125 to call into a 635 pot.. seems like a no brainer to me but my buddy keeps argueing saying I played it badly and got lucky...
xife, you played this well mate. his mistake was not pushing pf with AJ. so you check your hand then you catch something on the flop, bet at him, if he's got nothing he will fold. Ok, he had something, but it didnt cost you much more to call his push. Ok, you got lucky, but we all need some luck in poker. Congrats on win by the way. I decided to try a new style last night, I call it muppet-style. IE I played like one........