Did I make a mistake here?

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Context: The tournament started with 995 players. Starting stack is 1,500. A fast three minute level structure. I have survived to the top 642 with 3,888 as my total. All of the other stacks at my table are 1,000-1,500 with the exception of one other big stack, the villain, with just about 4,000. The villain is playing a very aggressive big stack bully style. I have a reasonably tight image. The shorter stacks are playing very tight. The blinds are 75-150 with a 15 ante.

The hand: I am dealt Ac 8c from under the gun. I raise to 450 from under the gun knowing that there's a good chance everyone folds to me. Villain calls from the small blind and we're heads up. The pot = 1185.

The flop comes;
Qh 9c 5c

I have a flush draw AND an over card. I know that either it's a coin flip or I have him dominated. It is Villain's turn to act and he bets the pot; 1185. This is a huge bet and a tough decision for me.

Option 1: Fold. I could have folded, but my hand has significant potential and there's a reasonable chance that Villain is bluffing here.

Option 2: Call. I could have called, but that's a third of my stack just to see one more card. I know I have about a 45% chance of winning, but only a 20-25% chance of winning on the turn, then my odds drop drastically. Calling doesn't seem like enough.

Option 3: Shove. If he is bluffing, I win the huge pot. If he really has a good hand, then there's an almost 50-50 chance of winning an even larger pot.

So I shoved all in, he called with Qs 4c, and I couldn't catch an ace or club on the turn or river. I've busted.

This was a disappointment, however, because I had a big stack, partial control of my table, and the possibility of running deep- but I cannot see what I've done wrong.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop.

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You think so? A8s seems strong enough given that none of the short stacks want to play with me and I have position on the only big stack.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the position "under the gun" even AQs considered weak. Wiser course was to fold.

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay I will keep that in mind for future reference - thank you.

If I had instead played this hand from the button, are there any mistakes that I made?

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya when your first sentence was I was under the gun with A8 and raise 3x I immediately thought we found your problem. lol Now i wouldnt say your shove was a bad move as you thought out... but the problem is you shouldnt have even been in the hand to begin with.

if your villain is playing big stack bully, why not play cheap and get chips in when you actually have an advantage on him. Hes clearly calling any since he called 3x with Q4o... why shove behind?

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A8 UNG is pretty weak, then you compound your mistake by shoving against a bigger stack with a draw. I'd have waited for a better spot to push. You said the other players were tight, so if they had called you were behind and OUP.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG

UTG play with AA KK AK AQ suited or fold , only if you chip leader and cant be out then you can play cards like A 8 or so. You put your tournament life on semibluf with all in , and get busted.A8 its not wotrhed tournament life.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a hard decision to make, but a flush draw is a question of probability ( here 45/55% ) and i don't think that the other guy will bluff you , he had to have something.Raising 3 times the BB in early position is a bad move in my opinion , cause it's you will get more than 6 players to act after you, the best solution here is to fold preflop.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop.

In hyper it good raise from UTG.. We have to play more loosely, because the blinds growing faster and we need expand our range of hands....

In flop i am only shove, pot already big and we have good equity for winning...

Ridiculously that you all playing nitty in hyper, you are losing a lot of value and the blinds quickly will eat your stack..

Last edited:
EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In a hyper situation I believe you have to widen up UTG range. but I don't believe A8s is good enough in UTG. I would widen to AT+ 22+

I know A8s look so attracted because it was suited, but it is still acerag.

As he had 25bbs at the stage he was at, definitely a fold pre.

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have to play more loosely, because the blinds growing faster and we need expand our range of hands....

Not saying you shouldnt expand your hands but raising there isnt the most effective use of chips. He wasnt short stacked so it would be better to either call and wait to see if you hit a hand before shoving or just fold all-together. Plus, he kinda seems to think that since he lost he must have made a mistake which also isnt true. Bro called a 3x UTG raise with Q3 offsuit... he won a relatively huge pot on seemingly a bad preflop play.

If we ignore preflop and just look at the post flop play I would say his shove was not that terrible of a play, but had he simply just folded he could have waited for a better opportunity. Although if he did all the same plays and snapped an A on the river he would look like he made a great decision lol. Poker is a funny game like that :)

I

Ignacio711

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, UTG A8s is not a very strong hand