I keep getting screwed with 3 jacks

M

MBHall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Two tournaments in two days.... two disgusting beats.

Scenario One:
My hand: JJ
Flop: J Q 7

*I was 2nd lowest stack, so I go all in* *Opponent has QQ*

Scenario Two:
See previous scenario.

Is this the right play or do I just keep getting screwed? Really, what are the odds of getting beat like that twice in a row? NEOne know?

N

Nabbin Bones

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket J's are a tough hand, especially with a queen on board. Have seen rougher, try having Q8 with a 8/8/Q flop, then having your opponent pull pocket Q's on ya. Better luck with the J's.

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well MB

I can't argue with how you played both and I am not sure anyone else could either. If the flop was all one suit, you may have a problem with a potential flush. But if the flop was 2 or 3 suits, I don't see how you can't at least raise, or go all-in depending on the betting.

All I know is keep playing JJ like you are. You can't be screwed everytime.

copperpot

copperpot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea thats just terrilbe luck. i played heads up with this one guy in a SNG and i had KK so i limp hoping he reraise, but he didnt. the flop was A K 4. that guy raised, i reraised, he went all in so i called, he flips over AA to beat my trip kings. I thought i was the one setting the trap. but heads up, i dont think anyone could have gotten away from that.

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree - you played fine. You were beaten no matter what. Actually it was a very fair beat. If you had gotten the flop like that and your opponent only had 1 Q -- and the turn was X and the river a Q - that would have been a bad been and possibly bad betting on your part. I would imagine if your opponent only had 1 Q, he would not have gone all in, but on online poker you never know! The draw of the cards.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MBHall: You played the hand as you should have. You will NOT win every time you hit trips with any pocket pair! Generally when you hit a set on the flop, you will win 80% of the pots if they go to a showdown. You were just unfortunate enough to run into two higher sets than yours.

You are not going to win every pot each time you have a statistical advantage! The odds may be in your favor most of the time, but you will not win every pot that you are favored to win...the longshot always has a chance.

So quit whimpering about losing two hands and getting busted in two tournies with trip jacks. It has happened to most of us.

The_Missnary

The_Missnary

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did pocket queens raise preflop? A big raise should have you thinking right away. I wouldve gone down too. All my chips would go in the three jacks.

G

gotti725

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well the solution is probably slow play a little feel it out dont commit big top the pot because u dont know what under the cover lol. dont feel bad i lost to queens too. i had 8 4 suited in a no limit game pot was 690 preflop i was tilting flop came 8 8 4 so i go all in with my last 240 i get called after telling my hand guy has pocket Q's n called he catches river Queen i about got sick

S

seagraham

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ever have pocket j's and go all in when the flop shows j 10 2, have ur aponent call with a k 10 had hit running kings? thats tough too

B

b huey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
MBHall said:
Two tournaments in two days.... two disgusting beats.

Scenario One:
My hand: JJ
Flop: J Q 7

*I was 2nd lowest stack, so I go all in* *Opponent has QQ*

Scenario Two:
See previous scenario.

Is this the right play or do I just keep getting screwed? Really, what are the odds of getting beat like that twice in a row? NEOne know?
I agree you played it correctly and I'd do the same every time too and just like you I'd have been screamin' mad:)... I say don't change your strategy on this and you will win with those blessed jacks more often than not...eventually.
B Huey

R

runner428

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a tough hand to play, I recomend going all in preflop and then jumping up and down holding ur boobies and askin Jesus for a jack!

P

PaisanDom

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
runner428, that works every time except when you run into someone with AA, KK, or QQ, and you're only a slight favorite over AK

You can't play JJ like they're unbeatable.

S

Silentfridge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
same happens to me, always when i get pocket QQ's somone have KK or AA :( i have so bad luck

M

Marino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have found out, pocket JJs are a bad hand for me. i always seem to lose money. you gotta play it slow. do not raise with them. at least that is my advice. get out of the hand, if anything looks like it can take you down.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never put my whole chipstack on the line with jacks, unless I have a good read on my opponent, and I haven't put him on an overpair. That queen on the board was quite ominous. I realize you were short-stacked (or close to it), but maybe there was a possibility of getting away from the hand by putting in a bet which if called, could spell pocket Queens. Having said that, there's a good chance I would have gambled with the Jacks depending on my read of the table etc., my only concern would be an overpair. Shit happens.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get nervous when an overcard of my PP is on the board. More often than not, someone has that overpair. This being said, I'd play the hand as you did and take the beat in stride...

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I defer to "The Gospel According to Doyle" (or as it's commonly known, "Super System"). Pages 437-439. Some excerpts:

"Let's say I turned a big hand on the Flop--a Set of Trips or even Two-Pair. I'm first to act and I'm in the pot with someone who raised before the Flop. He's supposed to have a strong hand. He's probably got a big Pair in the hole--bigger than anything that showed on the Flop.

"In this situation, there's a principle I always apply to Hold 'Em. I always make it a habit to lead into the raiser whenever I turn a big Hand.

"Most players will slow-play their hand in that spot...or hope to get in a check-raise. When they do that, they're playing it wrong..."

"If you turned a Set in an unraised pot (and it was a raggedy Flop, without a Straight or Flush draw)...you'd have to play the hand quite differently. Depending on what Set you flopped, you might not even play it at all. You'll see what I mean in a minute. But, the concept you should understand is this:

"In No-Limit play, you must be very careful you don't lose all your chips in an unraised pot.

"The...people in the pot with you tried to turn the nuts for free. And one of them might have the nuts. Or close to it. So when one of the players commits all his money, when there's only a few hundred dollars in the pot...you better watch out.

"Nevertheless, when it's checked to you, you've got to bet it. But you don't want to get broke with the hand because it was a 'nothing' pot to begin with."

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, why would I not be willing - even eager - to commit my entire hand with trips? I can come up with specific circumstances where it's probably right no to, but it strikes me that with only one overcard showing, trip jacks will win many more times than it loses.

S

steffne

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it right, what are the chances that the other guy is going to have pct queens? I have lost alot lately w trip jacks myself. I had pct jacks, flop comes j 7 2, I move all in, get a caller, guy has jack 10, hits runner runner for the str8. Strange things happen at the poker table!

Steff

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this game someone wins, someone loses. Your turn this week, his next. Bet the trips and see whose turn it is.

duesXmachina

duesXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this game someone wins, someone loses. Your turn this week, his next. Bet the trips and see whose turn it is.

Couldn't have put it better, next hand...and any game you walk away with new knowledge about yourslef and your game, and THE game, you didnt lose, or at least you didnt waste your time their no matter how horrible the beats. That's the breaks of playing poker..gotta be able to take it to dish it out in this biz.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you kidding? there is no way to get away from this. this is called a cooler.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
voice of dissent

I mostly agree with everyone else, BUT there is too little information to say this is an easy go-broke hand.

2nd smallest stack doesn't mean a lot to me - for example, if you're playing a DS tourney and its early, it doesn't matter.

It IS possible not to go broke on trip J's - hard, and you need solid read on the opponent. If you've got a tight-passive and he raises PF, you may want to bet the flop (not all in) and see if he raises.
If I'm playing a maniac or TAG, yea, I'll probably go broke, but it takes more information to call this a good or a bad play.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think there is much of a way to put him on the one hand that beats you

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just posted a thread where I had KK in limit and capped the preflop betting and the flop came A K x. Everyone there said I was stupid for checking on turn when both called my raise on the flop because there is only one hand that has you beat.

The odds of them having QQ is so low that you have to assume you have the best hand. Someone hitting a set is the hardest hand to sniff out in all of poker. So many players will play top pair and a good kicker like it is pure gold. How are to tell if he has AQ or QQ till all the money is in the middle. It just really sucks when you hit your set and theirs is just alittle bigger. I would bust out on this hand everytime.

Last edited: