Can I do anything else here but Fold?

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The opponent has been kinda tight, and enters the pot raising preflop majority of the time. Can i do anything else here but fold? Maybe fold preflop?

Stacks:

* MP1 with 1390
* MP2 with 1340
* MP3 with 1875
* CO with 1445
* BTN with 1415
* SB with 1645
* BB with 1250
* UTG with 1535
* UTG+1 with 1605

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to CO:8♥ 8♦
* * Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
* * UTG raises to 175
* * 4 players fold.
* * Hero calls [175]
* * 3 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 7
* * Potsize: 425
Flop:
* * 7♣ Q♠ 5♠
* * UTG bets [425]
* * 4 players fold.
* * Uncalled bet of 425 returned to UTG
* * UTG wins the pot (425)
* * Total folds this street: 1

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't call here; your only options are push or fold.

If you think he raised with AK or a pp lower than Queens, and would make a pot sized continuation bet when he missed, by all means push. If he's relatively tight, as you say, he'll fold anything less than a pair of Queens.

If he hasn’t made a continuation bet when he’s missed the flop, it’s an easy fold.

I might have folded pre flop. A tight UTG player raises 3.5 times the BB and I’m in the cut off with 88, I’d probably fold. If you are ahead it’s probably only slightly and you’re only around 8:1 to hit the flop. If you call here your best bet, besides flopping a set, is three babies on the flop that wouldn’t have hit the tight UTG player and you can push him off the hand.

The pot-sized bet seems a little fishy here, like he missed the flop and suspects you did too, and knows you can’t call. And if that’s the case he’s right. If he has your 8's beat (the more I think about it the more I think he has JJ or 10,10) you're an 11:1, 22:1 dog to catch another 8 on the turn, river. If you call and miss the turn you'll certainly be faced with another bet. Save your money and get it in in a better spot.

Last edited:
smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks slob, that's a really good analysis.

S

soonerdel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see no problem with the call pre-flop but once the Q hits your done with this hand.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally you'd call here with only one overcard to the flop since you could be facing a continuation bet (from AK or AJ or Ace10), but here you're not getting good odds at all since he bet pot, if he bet 1/2 pot or 3/4th pot I think you should call.

M

misterekted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
glad i took the time to read the next post...
You can't call here; your only options are push or fold.

If you think he raised with AK or a pp lower than Queens, and would make a pot sized continuation bet when he missed, by all means push. If he's relatively tight, as you say, he'll fold anything less than a pair of Queens.

If he hasn’t made a continuation bet when he’s missed the flop, it’s an easy fold.

sounds about right to me. specially against a fairly tight aggresive utg player like you described.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is fine.

On the flop you have 2 options. Fold or shove. It would be nice if you had bigger stacks as this is probably a continuation bet so you could raise him, but it'd have to be a shove here and there's no point risking your life to find out.

Folding in Poker