how would you play these hand?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars Hand #135012006719: Tournament #1207590630, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2015/05/09 15:21:22 ART [2015/05/09 14:21:22 ET]
Table '1207590630 42' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Blue Keith (10776 in chips)
Seat 2: jorgemanya (35 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: jeza-66 (6980 in chips)
Seat 4: Longuful (1705 in chips)
Seat 5: Doobubs_AA (235 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: Billbeeduck (4973 in chips)
Seat 7: LeonelCrema (4396 in chips)
Seat 8: PRrock1 (9400 in chips)
Seat 9: duzuk (3065 in chips)
Billbeeduck: posts small blind 75
LeonelCrema: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PRrock1 [Ah Kc]
PRrock1: raises 300 to 450
duzuk: folds
Blue Keith: folds
jorgemanya: folds
jeza-66: raises 450 to 900
Longuful: folds
Doobubs_AA: folds
Billbeeduck: folds
LeonelCrema: folds
PRrock1: calls 450
*** FLOP *** [5h 4h 9c]
PRrock1: checks
jeza-66: bets 750
PRrock1: calls 750
*** TURN *** [5h 4h 9c] [Kh]
PRrock1: checks
jeza-66: bets 5330 and is all-in
PRrock1: calls 5330
*** RIVER *** [5h 4h 9c Kh] [8c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PRrock1: shows [Ah Kc] (a pair of Kings)
jeza-66: shows [Ac As] (a pair of Aces)
jeza-66 collected 14185 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 14185 | Rake 0
Board [5h 4h 9c Kh 8c]
Seat 1: Blue Keith folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: jorgemanya folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: jeza-66 showed [Ac As] and won (14185) with a pair of Aces
Seat 4: Longuful folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Doobubs_AA (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Billbeeduck (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: LeonelCrema (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: PRrock1 showed [Ah Kc] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 9: duzuk folded before Flop (didn't bet)

i just think these player might be having ak, kq or even kj with a jack of hearts so i almost insta call. maybe i should realize he has at least aces or a set. i dont think he would just shove all in with the flush though....

Last edited:
P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disclaimer - its a freeroll so anything can happen but l am going to analyse based on "normal" play.

Pre-flop - you have raised 3BB from UTG so we have to assume villain is giving you credit for a decent hand (range TT+, KQs+, AKo). Villain 3-bets from MP so hero has to give them credit for a similar, if not slightly stronger, range.

Flop - think there is 2025 in the pot. When hero checks villain c-bets for 750 which is a small bet for this pot size but villain will c-bet almost every time here. The chances are that this flop has not improved villains hand, other than a potential heart draw, but, conversely, villain also knows the same about your hand. Can we read anything into the smallish c-bet? Maybe but we need to have reads on villain for that.

Turn - seems like a great card as hero now has TPTK with nut flush draw but villain shoves. There is 3525 in the pot and after hero checks villain over-shoves for 5330. This is a very weird move! Don't think you have your range for the villain correct - a flush is highly unlikely as they would almost certainly have to have Ah or Kh in their hand to 3-bet pre and we know that's not the case. Don't think they are 3-betting pre with KQ or KJ so, IMO, for you to be behind you have to be putting them on AA or KK which is pretty tough to do given the number of blockers there are to those two hands. Over-shove is a worry but not sure how you can find a fold here.

Even when you get the bad news you still have 11 outs!

Think you have to see this one as a cooler.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Disclaimer - its a freeroll so anything can happen but l am going to analyse based on "normal" play.

Pre-flop - you have raised 3BB from UTG so we have to assume villain is giving you credit for a decent hand (range TT+, KQs+, AKo). Villain 3-bets from MP so hero has to give them credit for a similar, if not slightly stronger, range.

Flop - think there is 2025 in the pot. When hero checks villain c-bets for 750 which is a small bet for this pot size but villain will c-bet almost every time here. The chances are that this flop has not improved villains hand, other than a potential heart draw, but, conversely, villain also knows the same about your hand. Can we read anything into the smallish c-bet? Maybe but we need to have reads on villain for that.

Turn - seems like a great card as hero now has TPTK with nut flush draw but villain shoves. There is 3525 in the pot and after hero checks villain over-shoves for 5330. This is a very weird move! Don't think you have your range for the villain correct - a flush is highly unlikely as they would almost certainly have to have Ah or Kh in their hand to 3-bet pre and we know that's not the case. Don't think they are 3-betting pre with KQ or KJ so, IMO, for you to be behind you have to be putting them on AA or KK which is pretty tough to do given the number of blockers there are to those two hands. Over-shove is a worry but not sure how you can find a fold here.

Even when you get the bad news you still have 11 outs!

Think you have to see this one as a cooler.

thanks for your analysis. I think that i was very unlucky to hit the king on the turn. His 3 bet raise was pretty low so i have to give villain some credit because with that bet i couldnt put him on aces or kings range. i could have fold these hand however i decided to call considering that there were some hands villian could have like ak, kq, queens or jacks and even he might be bluffing with aq or aj...

Last edited:
rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One simple thing- in freerolls everything is possible,thats it

yeah but it was the big bang freeroll and the skill of players in this tournament is much better than an average freeroll.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll easy 4bet/all-in, AK top our range, when in field very more bad players we need playing on whole stack to increase our stack as much as possible, it is a good situation...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In freeroll easy 4bet/all-in, AK top our range, when in field very more bad players we need playing on whole stack to increase our stack as much as possible, it is a good situation...

Completely disagree!
Hero is 60 big blinds deep & if (as you say) he's playing vs. a field of 'more bad players' then why does he want to take a high variance line (& a sh1tty one at that) ???
* this is assuming HERO knows how to play & actually does have an edge

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the fact that he's raising and then shoving all-in I would fold thinking he's obviously very strong. Sure, it doesn't matter so much in a freeroll, but, is it not nicer to win cash with no money laid out. Not many places you can get those odds, IF ANY????

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Freerolls or small buy in games with not knowing the players I am against ... I might have just shoved with AK after the pre-flop re-raise to 900. Depending on how long I have been playing. Deeper in the game I am the more I would lean away from this strat. Weaker Aces call allot in freerolls and small buy ins. If not you are most likely in a coin flip. And are up against AA or KK a small amount of those times.

I know some won't like that play but if you are going to go deep to where the real money is in a tournament you are going to have to get into a race at some point. I rather go out early in a freeroll / small buy in playing like this and go onto another game than go out playing for hours and on the bubble.

Notice that this is the Big Bang Freeroll ... since those are so hard to get into .. I would play it like a buy in and called like you did. Maby finding a fold once I hit nothing on the flop. 750 screams please call me. As it would be the exact bet I would make if I had an over pair or hit trips. Once the K comes I would have to go with it after calling the flop. As a call on the flop would mean I thought a pair of Kings would be good.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normal play. This doesn't cover maniacs

Pre-flop: Good job, not going all-in (controls the variance). But still you're OOP and calling there means only one thing, if you don't hit on the flop, you lay it down.

Flop: He bets 750 in a pot of 2025, weakish bet. Here's what I would have done, re-raise him(~2000 chips). If he folds, I take the pot down. If he calls, I'm very suspicious (Maybe a set, maybe an overpair, maybe a flush draw, maybe A9, A5 or A4. Its highly unlikely that with overpair, A9, A5 or A4, he would not jam there). I go to check/fold mode. But I think, he would just jam there once he sees the re-raise and you should respectfully fold. You'll lose 2900 chips in the process though, which is like 33% of your stack, but less than 77% which you originally lost.
Btw, I would have just folded to that 750 bet, given the action you chose pre-flop. You didn't show strength pre-flop and on the flop, you're on thin ice.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've called too. His shove was really shady like he had QQ JJ or even 10's. I think you did good.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands