How would you play

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mtt tournament Blinds are 40/80 you have 6000 chips your sat in HJ and dealt pocket aces, UTG has 9000 chips and raises to 320, You raise to 1280 every one else folds, UTG calls so there's 2760 in the pot Flop comes Qd Tc 3s. UTG bets 320 what's your move and Why?

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how villain played before. But most likely I would reraise here, since it's a quite uncoordinated flop and we have very good equity with AA.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how villain played before. But most likely I would reraise here, since it's a quite uncoordinated flop and we have very good equity with AA.
So we raise again to 1280 and UTG goes all in he's LAG what's our move now

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I would go all in on the flop, there's 2760 in the pot , and you only started with 6000 chips, so whatever villain does I'm all in.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 75 bbs at the start of the hand..yes..??

i like your 3 bet pre.

after the flop...you have approx 60 bbs...yes...??,,,and utg bets just 4 bbs into a 34bb pot..???...the flop is Q T 3 rainbow.

that's a very light bet. What does your oppo want you to do..?? Answer this question to your satisfaction, and then do the opposite.

How can you range your opponent here. Any suited ace..??...2 suited broadway...??...any pocket pair..??...To play low suited connectors like this utg would be 'optimistic' to say the least.

the only combos you are now shy of are qq..tt..33...9 combos in total...

you have the same 3 choices as always....fold...call...raise...
fold is out of the question...so that leaves you with call or raise.

you need information...a call will not get you any more information...so that only leaves 'raise'

now...how much do you raise....
the pot is at approx 40 bbs...you have approx 60bbs

if you only raise to 20 bbs, you are giving your oppo odds to call with KJ for example...3 to 1...
if you raise to 30bbs this takes away pot odds...but not implied odds

are you feeling lucky..??

if you are feeling lucky, then put in a 25-30 bb raise...if you want to take down the pot now, go all in, and hope oppo doesnt have qq tt or 33.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 75 bbs at the start of the hand..yes..??

i like your 3 bet pre.

after the flop...you have approx 60 bbs...yes...??,,,and utg bets just 4 bbs into a 34bb pot..???...the flop is Q T 3 rainbow.

that's a very light bet. What does your oppo want you to do..?? Answer this question to your satisfaction, and then do the opposite.

How can you range your opponent here. Any suited ace..??...2 suited broadway...??...any pocket pair..??...To play low suited connectors like this utg would be 'optimistic' to say the least.

the only combos you are now shy of are qq..tt..33...9 combos in total...

you have the same 3 choices as always....fold...call...raise...
fold is out of the question...so that leaves you with call or raise.

you need information...a call will not get you any more information...so that only leaves 'raise'

now...how much do you raise....
the pot is at approx 40 bbs...you have approx 60bbs

if you only raise to 20 bbs, you are giving your oppo odds to call with KJ for example...3 to 1...
if you raise to 30bbs this takes away pot odds...but not implied odds

are you feeling lucky..??

if you are feeling lucky, then put in a 25-30 bb raise...if you want to take down the pot now, go all in, and hope oppo doesnt have qq tt or 33.
Your still missing the other hand he has you beat on what about Q T

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your still missing the other hand he has you beat on what about Q T

you are correct of course...i did mention any 2 broadway(suited) in passing....but not specifically...thank you for pointing this out :)

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in would be, and cross your legs tightly, :confused:

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mtt tournament Blinds are 40/80 you have 6000 chips your sat in HJ and dealt pocket aces, UTG has 9000 chips and raises to 320, You raise to 1280 every one else folds, UTG calls so there's 2760 in the pot Flop comes Qd Tc 3s. UTG bets 320 what's your move and Why?
Call
UTG should be checking trips or QT in my opinion so they don't have either when they bet only 320, call. Your AA is good, See the turn and all the chips are eventually in.

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call
UTG should be checking trips or QT in my opinion so they don't have either when they bet only 320, call. Your AA is good, See the turn and all the chips are eventually in.
They likely did not call pre-flop with KK QQ AK (JJ?) they would probably re-raise. I put them on 99,88,77 hoping for a set. Now they miss on the flop so they bet small, call and let them bet the turn.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On this occasion the Villan is holding QT so the little bet was to see what I would do so I reraised 4bet and then Villan shoved at this point I'm thinking he's got 2 pair trips. If he had AQ KJ J9 I wouldn't be shoving after my reraise he would just be calling I believe. I convinced myself he had nothing but an open end draw so I called. He turns over QT turn comes T river a brick. I think playing the hand again with the information I had on thee Villan I would have laid my aces down.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it’s helpful to think in ranged and factor in your understanding of your opponent. If you think your opponent is really loose, you could get away with a raise on the flop. It would also be helpful to raise because it would tell you the relative strength of the hand. If the opponent jams on the flop and he’s tight, then you’re probably up against a set.

Given the preflop action, I would think your range is ahead on the flop which is pretty dry. If you raise on other streets, I would target hands like AQs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Your 3-bet is very large. As a default I would go a bit smaller especially with aces and against an already oversized 4BB open. However if you had some kind of read, that this was a maniac player, or he was using staggered bet sizing, then its obviously find to size up and get more value, when you have the nuts.

Flop
An undersized donk bet is usually a weak hand trying to see the next card cheaply. Maybe 5% of the time its a trap similar to, when people go for a check-raise. I basically just ignore such a bet and pretend, that he checked. You have aces in a pot, where the SPR (Stack to Pot Ratio) is a bit less than 2, and its a fairly clean board without any flopped straight or flush possible, and only one of the possible 2 pair combos makes any sort of sense in a 3-bet pot.

The only thing, I am concerned about in such a situation is, how can I get my stack inside in the most profitable way? And I think, betting flop and jamming turn is a totally fine line here against someone, who is shaping up to be perhaps a little bit fishy given his weird sizing and actions. So I would make it around 1.800-2.000 to go on the flop and then jam basically all turns, if he comes along for the ride.

If he comes over the top and jam on the flop, I am not loving it, because that line is a bit skewed towards a strong hand. But I am never going to fold aces on this flop. If he cracked my aces already or gets there on the turn or river, then good for him. It does not worry me at all, and I just reenter or play another one.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would raise to 1350, because on the flop I have probably the best hand.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling without fear, all of them, you always have to make decisions, in this case, you have to take risks.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On this occasion the Villan is holding QT so the little bet was to see what I would do so I reraised 4bet and then Villan shoved at this point I'm thinking he's got 2 pair trips. If he had AQ KJ J9 I wouldn't be shoving after my reraise he would just be calling I believe. I convinced myself he had nothing but an open end draw so I called. He turns over QT turn comes T river a brick. I think playing the hand again with the information I had on thee Villan I would have laid my aces down.

That is very results oriented thinking. The opponent really should not be opening UTG and then calling a 3-bet with QTo, and if he is loose enough to do that, then he can also have KJo or J9o, and there are far more combos of those hands, because they are not blocked by the board. You can absolutely not assume, he would "just call" with all his draws. In fact check-jamming draws is a much better play with this SPR, because it allow you to C-bet and then fold hands like AK or AJ, that have missed but are still ahead of his draw. He can also have AQ or KQ, that flopped top pair, and that he just want to go with. Or maybe he played a little tricky with KK and think, he "trapped" you.

You just happened to run into the top of his range in a spot, where you were more than committed to the pot. And even then its not the end of the world to get it in with an overpair against two pair. You will win not only, when you make a set, but also when the board pairs with a 3 or a runner-runner. And on this specific texture also, when a K and a J gives you a backdoor straight. You actually had around 27% equity on the flop, so even if he showed you two pair, you were almost getting the right odds to call it off :)

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His bet flop seems so very little I'd be dumb not to raise him right there and see what HE does next. But If he does hit one of two pairs, I don't see a reason not to 3-bet shove here.

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth is that I would not give anyone a chance, I would bet half the pot, and on the river I would play him all in yes or yes, and why is it very simple if the opponent calls you the bet is because he thinks he has the best hand, like KK or perhaps the classic JJ, so that's why you have to take advantage of that good hand very well.;)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of the day this is just a situation, where hero got a bad player to make a huge mistake preflop, and then the bad player hit some miracle flop to save him. And frankly this is just part of the game. Hero played the hand perfectly fine, and there is nothing to learn from a hand like this. To improve and see better long term results we need to stop focusing on hands, where we simply got unlucky and find those hands, where perhaps we could have taken a different and more profitable path :)