How to play QQ on early fase of an ST´nG?

DonBorella

DonBorella

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello guys...today on the third hand of a $ 1,20 sit and go, i received one interesting hand:

Table '110472421 1' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: eagle26288 (1400 in chips)
Seat 2: DonBorella (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: togsy81 (1070 in chips)
Seat 4: NewbiePD (1470 in chips)
Seat 5: Røven River (1200 in chips)
Seat 6: StaTiK0815 (1630 in chips)
Seat 7: Schuh3865 (2240 in chips)
Seat 8: oggie14 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: zaztounga (1500 in chips)
Røven River: posts small blind 10
StaTiK0815: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DonBorella [Qc Qd]
Schuh3865: folds
oggie14: folds
zaztounga: raises 40 to 60
eagle26288: folds

four more playres to act.

3th hand of the sit.

the question it´s: what´s the best way to play this hand?

what´s the more and what´s the less EV?

coment players!

Last edited:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, it would probably be good to see a little more of the hand. As played so far, that's fine. With more players to act though, and seeing as how this is a micro $1.20 SNG, I might raise a little more...assuming the blinds are 10/20, I might bump it up to 80 or 100 preflop.

Paste a little more of the action for us, please.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am reading this right you are in the hi-jack seat with QQ facing a early position raise and 4 unknowns to act behind you.

You need to raise it up to 180-200 here. You don't want the players coming in behind you cheap with hard to read cards and it will also help define the early raisers hand. If he shoves you can let it go (maybe) and if he smooth calls you re-evaluate after the flop as you will have position on him.

DonBorella

DonBorella

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well...considering i had more 4 opponents to call, re-raise or fold, and it´s early phase, i think in protect my chips and only called the hand. have calls to the BB.

the flop comes 3sKc5h.

BB bet 100, MP1 call and i fold.

why?

figured the MP1 had AK and BB Kx.

on showdown i see: be rigth! K8 x AK!

in this hand, just think in protect my chips on early phase. after, i win this sit :)

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is way to early for you have that good of a read preflop on MP1 here. and you call invited the BB in with good odds. You were right this time but he could easily be raising with 10's or JJ's even J10s or QJ's and you are losing value for a great preflop hand playing scared, imo fwiw.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to raise not a huge amount but enough to solidify your hand in the other persons mind. They need to know if they call they are behind. If he reraises I think you need to push. Lots of people at this amount will push with a variety of hands.

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when playing low buy`in sngo`s it`s a good ideea to raise a big amount from UTG when you have a strong holding, because you are very likely to get called by hands far worst than yours

R

RightMeow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally i hate that hand in short handed SnG's. Id definately prefer it in MTT, but i like to pot raise, see where im at and hopefully the flop shows me a thing of beauty. If not, im happy to take down blinds/calls.

poloporasa

poloporasa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...figured the MP1 had AK and BB Kx.

How could you possibly know that when you decided to just call with QQ from MP3???

Well,good for you that it went this way. But I think you definatly need to reraise that hand preflop!

On the flop, when the overcard appears, you evaluate your hand again. That you folded there was fine.

BTW, it would be nice if you convert the handhistory in the future. For exampel by using the cardschat-converter tool (https://www.cardschat.com/hand/). That way it is easier and much more faster to look at it and to get an idea, what was gooing on there.

C

Catishi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You 3bet with QQ there. If you flat call, I bet 5 people play the flop. You want to try to isolate yourself vs 1, maybe 2 players or even get it all in PF.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i sometimes play queens as disguised as this, but it's because im looking to play them disguised. not scared, like you did in this instance.

a) AK is such a narrow part of his range, and you dont have enough information to make such an accurate read.

b) at least you didnt overvalue them after the flop. you did this part well. you got in for cheap, and let go of them easily. good job. although, i might be prone to call the 100 bet on the flop, and then get away from it on the turn if he keeps aggression up. like said, a king makes up such a small portion of the hands that he could be holding, folding the flop is very weak tight.

c) mostly, though, we raise here. we want to be 2 handed in most spots like this. we are in position, have similar chipstacks, and dont want to open ourselves up for a squeeze from the CO or button.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the good: you let go of the hand on the flop for cheap

the bad: you should raise to isolate other opponents, by just letting them call even if your opponents didnt have a K, you could let in a 3-5 or pocket 3s or 5s. in addition its the 3rd hand and unless you've played with them before you wont have any reads on them

M

muck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to protect the chips because of the early stage with QQ you can fold any hand preflop!!!
In my opinion you should raise to 180-190 to avoid a BB call with low cards which can bring you in trouble. Because you just want to be concerned about high card (A or K) in the flop. Once the K showes up you are right to fold because QQ is not good any more.
Saludos

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given your position in this hand, reraise to 180 is the aggressive move (and likely the proper one ). Why allow him to see the flop cheap let alone help him. If indeed he plays back at you preflop, your pushing in with a tier 1 hand. This is a cheap SNG anyway, make him pay to showdown.

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should raise more! A QQ is a strong hand with nice odds and you need put more chips in the pot! But the flop bring a K and put you in troubls! nice read and nice fold ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Even though it's early levels of a micro sng I would choose to 3-bet the raiser here to around 3.5 - 4x their 3x rs.,.. so in other words, 210 to 240 here.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i sometimes play queens as disguised as this, but it's because im looking to play them disguised. not scared, like you did in this instance.

a) AK is such a narrow part of his range, and you dont have enough information to make such an accurate read.

b) at least you didnt overvalue them after the flop. you did this part well. you got in for cheap, and let go of them easily. good job. although, i might be prone to call the 100 bet on the flop, and then get away from it on the turn if he keeps aggression up. like said, a king makes up such a small portion of the hands that he could be holding, folding the flop is very weak tight.

c) mostly, though, we raise here. we want to be 2 handed in most spots like this. we are in position, have similar chipstacks, and dont want to open ourselves up for a squeeze from the CO or button.

ditto here... good comment.
only b) he's now in hand with two opponents on the flop.. a bet & a call... you're still going to call behind here on the flop? (with a bet & call?)

Mission Man 56

Mission Man 56

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll, I think you have to raise 4 1/2 - 5x the BB preflop. Calling just lets them have a free chance to beat you while you probably have the best hand at this point, and the large raise reduces their pot odds to where it would be a mistake to call if they have drawing hands.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How could you possibly know that when you decided to just call with QQ from MP3???

Well,good for you that it went this way. But I think you definatly need to reraise that hand preflop!

On the flop, when the overcard appears, you evaluate your hand again. That you folded there was fine.

BTW, it would be nice if you convert the handhistory in the future. For exampel by using the cardschat-converter tool (https://www.cardschat.com/hand/). That way it is easier and much more faster to look at it and to get an idea, what was gooing on there.

I agree-way too early to put them on hands. A reraise is in order, regardless of knowing the outcome. You need to represent a strong hand-he might figure you for AA or KK, with you having his outs. Play it strong.