Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Interesting hand I played with our friend jookie. 28bbs effective, SB vs BTN

Pre flop

Hand started with 2 limpers, when action comes to me I punch to 4x and get called by our friend.

Flop

Here on the flop it was check/check, a well connected board where I will have a lot of checks.

Turn

Turn blank, I opted for the bet size of 75% of the pot and I get called.

River

River the J doubles, and I shove and get called, our friend has 96s.

Technically, I think our friend played 3 wrong streets, but the call river, the way it was played, I thought the call river was very fair.

Pre-flop, I don't like the call, despite having a hand that develops well post flop, it won't play well with less than 30 bbs effective vs a very strong limper punishing range.

Flop, I opted for the check because it is a very connected board, but I think the high cbet size would be the best option.

On the turn, half a blank, I opted for a high bet size and got called. I don't like the call, because I have a bad river for the 98s.

River on the double of the J, I choose to shove and bluff my missed draw, because I know he's going to have a lot of medium value playing this hand, so I want to fold these hands along with the draws of A high, which I'm losing.
About our friend's hero call. I like it a lot, because I will have a lot of missed draws coming on this river, and my J most of them I would cbet the flop, so my value combos coming on this river will usually just be the 22 that made it full, JJ. the over pair and TT combos I don't tend to shove practically ever on this river, I only shove these combos if I have info on my opponent, where he has the ability to pay me the 9x, then I start shoving these combos too. That's why I like our friend Jookie's call, I'm too unbalanced to bluff on this river and I tried to exploit him, but I do very well on the river despite having played very badly on the other streets. And then, comment what you think of the hand...

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Preflop to this 3 limpers and in this out of possition and with trash KTo I play here only call. Becouse you checked on flop imo bluff on river with air is only little emotional tilt. :D

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Preflop to this 3 limpers and in this out of possition and with trash KTo I play here only call. Becouse you checked on flop imo bluff on river with air is only little emotional tilt. :D
Correction, there were two limpers, I prefer to play this hand punishing vs 2 limpers, because I want to have fold equity already on the flop, and pull 4blinds without showdown, and I play calmly post flop because I know I have an advantage on the post flop. I think my mistake in this hand is not having a cbet on the flop, I used a totally exploitable line due to the fact that he had a medium/weak range coming to that river, and I wanted to fold pocket pairs and Ax that called with a draw. But he made the call. And I'm sorry for the sincerity, but I think you don't have enough knowledge to opine this hand based on what I saw in your comment. But I respect your vision of the game.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: In these CC freerolls we all play agianst each other often so we generally know tendencies. If you villains in this hand know you do this somewhat often or are capable of doing it then it will be less effective. Same goes for what you know about them, if they fold a lot after limping then its fine to raise as a steal but if they will continue often then I dont like the play as we will then be OOP with a marginal hand. With all that being said if you are going to raise here then it should be 5x and not 4x. We are going against all villains (including BB) that has about the same stack size of 30 BBs so from that perspective I like the move. Again, I would make it 5x and then also I would be thinking that if they do call then that is already 1/6th of their stack so it is going to be harder to push them off the hand. Also if they continue what hands are we putting them on? Im more asking that than having a range suggestion since you are playing against them often you should have a good idea of what their limp call ranges are.

Flop: Im not digging this flop for what we are trying to do here. Not happy either that someone called pre. I would think their calling range pre after over limping has a lot of the middling cards which this board hits but again, you would know their range better than I would. I think in this spot you can go one of two ways. One is to check the flop and essentially just try to get to showdown but hoping that villain checks back and your double gutter hits. Two is that you could c bet here to rep the big hand and hope villain folds (this move is very villain dependent on their fold to c bet%) but if you bet and they call then I would not put any more chips in the middle unless one of the gutters comes or potentially a K. I can see either as play as viable so it comes down to what I know about villain. Being readless I would mix the two up but probably leaning towards option 2 and checking hoping I can get a check back. Checking caps our range though which I am not a fan since it kills any chance at bluffing later imo.

Turn: As played with what looks like a check check flop, I would check again here and not bet. If I were going to bet in this spot I dont think I would go as big as you did since you are capped (imo anyway) after checking flop. My hope here is that I check and villain either checks back their showdown value hands or at least bets small where double gutter odds plus implied odds make it worth the call. Your bet here is a bluff sized bet and I think once you check the flop that betting here this large is weird and weird bets usually get called. Its either check here or bet 40% to make it look valuey and you were trapping flop but I much prefer just checking turn.

River: I am not sure what we are repping with the bet size we make here. The board pairing the J is terrible for bluffing since there is less that we would potentially have trapped on flop with. This is a no brainer check give up at this point to me. Not sure what hand villain would call turn with at 75% pot bet to them and then not call river with when you put them all in. Plus they already have half their stack in the middle so they probably feel committed to the pot. Bad bluff card plus villain feeling like they are committed=very bad bluff opportunity. This is definitely a river that you should have given up on and just check fold and cut your losses in the hand.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pre: In these CC freerolls we all play agianst each other often so we generally know tendencies. If you villains in this hand know you do this somewhat often or are capable of doing it then it will be less effective. Same goes for what you know about them, if they fold a lot after limping then its fine to raise as a steal but if they will continue often then I dont like the play as we will then be OOP with a marginal hand. With all that being said if you are going to raise here then it should be 5x and not 4x. We are going against all villains (including BB) that has about the same stack size of 30 BBs so from that perspective I like the move. Again, I would make it 5x and then also I would be thinking that if they do call then that is already 1/6th of their stack so it is going to be harder to push them off the hand. Also if they continue what hands are we putting them on? Im more asking that than having a range suggestion since you are playing against them often you should have a good idea of what their limp call ranges are.

Flop: Im not digging this flop for what we are trying to do here. Not happy either that someone called pre. I would think their calling range pre after over limping has a lot of the middling cards which this board hits but again, you would know their range better than I would. I think in this spot you can go one of two ways. One is to check the flop and essentially just try to get to showdown but hoping that villain checks back and your double gutter hits. Two is that you could c bet here to rep the big hand and hope villain folds (this move is very villain dependent on their fold to c bet%) but if you bet and they call then I would not put any more chips in the middle unless one of the gutters comes or potentially a K. I can see either as play as viable so it comes down to what I know about villain. Being readless I would mix the two up but probably leaning towards option 2 and checking hoping I can get a check back. Checking caps our range though which I am not a fan since it kills any chance at bluffing later imo.

Turn: As played with what looks like a check check flop, I would check again here and not bet. If I were going to bet in this spot I dont think I would go as big as you did since you are capped (imo anyway) after checking flop. My hope here is that I check and villain either checks back their showdown value hands or at least bets small where double gutter odds plus implied odds make it worth the call. Your bet here is a bluff sized bet and I think once you check the flop that betting here this large is weird and weird bets usually get called. Its either check here or bet 40% to make it look valuey and you were trapping flop but I much prefer just checking turn.

River: I am not sure what we are repping with the bet size we make here. The board pairing the J is terrible for bluffing since there is less that we would potentially have trapped on flop with. This is a no brainer check give up at this point to me. Not sure what hand villain would call turn with at 75% pot bet to them and then not call river with when you put them all in. Plus they already have half their stack in the middle so they probably feel committed to the pot. Bad bluff card plus villain feeling like they are committed=very bad bluff opportunity. This is definitely a river that you should have given up on and just check fold and cut your losses in the hand.
Very good analysis. I made a high size on the turn because it was a more calling villain, so I made a move completely outside the curve, trying to exploit the villain, so I admit that I played hand by hand and the villain's call river, I thought it was good, because I played the hand in a strange way.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good analysis. I made a high size on the turn because it was a more calling villain, so I made a move completely outside the curve, trying to exploit the villain, so I admit that I played hand by hand and the villain's call river, I thought it was good, because I played the hand in a strange way.
The result suggests you made and error of assumption. You assumed the V was capable of folding preflop and on turn and they were not---I would recommend you follow the strategy outlined by 300hpgod in these freerolls 98% of the time.

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I always call I don’t trust people so I never believe they have it ..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would just complete here and try to see a cheap flop. I dont think, its very likely, you can get two limpers to fold in a freeroll. And then raising just create a bigger pot, when you are out of position with a marginal hand, which is not doing that great against even a limping range. I would much rather isolate a hand like this in position rather than out of position.

Flop
As others have said, this board will have hit a limping range quite a bit. But you also connected pretty well with a dubble gutted straigthdraw and an overcard. And there are some hands, that missed, and that might fold to a C-bet, like any pair 66 or lower or hands like A2-A5. Getting those hands to fold is a great outcome, so I would C-bet here and be ready to get it in against a raise. At this point you were actually slightly ahead of the hand, he had, having 14 outs to beat him by the river.

Turn
This is a complete brick, and while he has weakened his range by checking back the flop, I dont like to start a bluff now. The problem is, now you only have 1 card left to hit, and you are also not representing much with this delayed C-bet. 2d essentially never helped you, except if you picked up a diamond draw. So its pretty easy for him to read this as the bluff, it is.

River
This is not a good bluffing card, because it did not change the structure at all. Meaning that if you have a strong hand, then you had it already on the flop, so once again why did you check? You are basically only representing something, that slowplayed the flop, and now there are less of those hands, you can have. So its pretty easy for him to call you down again with second pair.

Conclusion
Except for preflop, where he should just have folded, your opponent actually played this hand well. You on the other hand bet all streets except the flop, which is the only street, where you had a decently strong hand with an 8-out draw and an overcard. This is very backwards and unsurpricingly did not work out well.

r_iiiichard

r_iiiichard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with lilu80, in this out of position and early game scenario there won't be considerable fold equity; I just complete and play post flop. And as played, it's a flop with a lot of interaction, so I prefer to cbet less often and would include this combo in my cbetting range if it were isolated pre-flop.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are out of position man and you want to punish limpers with a marginal hand at best !
In this situation KTo is not a marginal hand, because it blocks some combos from the top of his range, which because it is a freeroll he may play like this with strong combos and his top as I have seen in several cases, however, in these cases I I always take notes, and this specific villain didn't have any notes until then. That is, I don't mind being ooped in these scenarios, because I have an advantage over the field and I know how to develop the pos, and I always try to play HU spots. I made the mistake of not cbetting the flop, as it was a clear cbet combo, high size because it is a flop mixed strategy, I will want to check the down draws, medium values and the top three of a kind too, the rest of the up draws I always check cbetting, putting pressure on his average values. My mistake I want to explore intuitively, I played the hand in a bizarre way and the villain has all the credit for the call.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In this situation KTo is not a marginal hand, because it blocks some combos from the top of his range, which because it is a freeroll he may play like this with strong combos and his top as I have seen in several cases, however, in these cases I I always take notes, and this specific villain didn't have any notes until then. That is, I don't mind being ooped in these scenarios, because I have an advantage over the field and I know how to develop the pos, and I always try to play HU spots. I made the mistake of not cbetting the flop, as it was a clear cbet combo, high size because it is a flop mixed strategy, I will want to check the down draws, medium values and the top three of a kind too, the rest of the up draws I always check cbetting, putting pressure on his average values. My mistake I want to explore intuitively, I played the hand in a bizarre way and the villain has all the credit for the call.
Great logic, keep it up sir.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Thanks for posting this hand and thank you guys for your analysis, it is very helpful for me since I play recreationally!
Just a small objection here I had 8s9s , I never flat garbage hands like 9s6s even with previous limpers and in position.

Preflop: Easy call in position - tons of equity.
Flop: super capped range for my villain since he didn't make the cbet.
Turn: Delayed cbet at this size , doesn't make any sense plus my vilain is super active on turn cards.
River:Feel super comfortable about my second pair here , all the draws have missed , 8Ts?! is blocked plus you never squeeze those hands.

GL!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a small objection here I had 8s9s , I never flat garbage hands like 9s6s even with previous limpers and in position.
98s is definitely a reasonable hand to play on BTN, either as an overlimp or by isolating the limper. And as already analysed, you had a pretty easy call down postflop :)