Help me out with this hand

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
***** Hand History for Game 5326278658 *****
NL Texas Hold'em 22 Buy-in Trny:29709145 Level:2 Blinds(30/60) - Friday, October 06, 19:38:24 ET 2006
Table Table 112133 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 4: Akira1251 ( 3988 )
Seat 6: Maxmor ( 1965 )
Seat 7: mrclips ( 2570 )
Seat 2: blankoblanco ( 2730 )
Seat 8: nz001716 ( 1860 )
Seat 1: BadDaddyToo ( 1334 )
Seat 3: unjustxdc ( 3293 )
Seat 10: bmouzoon ( 2260 )
Trny:29709145 Level:2
Blinds(30/60)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to blankoblanco [ Tc As ]
unjustxdc: sigh
Maxmor folds.
mrclips folds.
nz001716 folds.
bmouzoon folds.
BadDaddyToo calls [60].
blankoblanco calls [60].
unjustxdc calls [30].
Akira1251 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7c, 7d, Ah ]
mrclips: that sucks
unjustxdc checks.
Akira1251 checks.
BadDaddyToo bets [268].
blankoblanco calls [268]. Was this a bad move on my part? Should I raise to find out where I am? Seemed like a bit of an overbet to begin with and I didn't want to get too committed. The guy had been kind of hyper aggressive from what I'd seen.
unjustxdc folds.
Akira1251 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9h ]
BadDaddyToo is all-In [1106]
blankoblanco ... Well?

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
***** Hand History for Game 5326278658 *****
NL Texas Hold'em 22 Buy-in Trny:29709145 Level:2 Blinds(30/60) - Friday, October 06, 19:38:24 ET 2006
Table Table 112133 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 4: Akira1251 ( 3988 )
Seat 6: Maxmor ( 1965 )
Seat 7: mrclips ( 2570 )
Seat 2: blankoblanco ( 2730 )
Seat 8: nz001716 ( 1860 )
Seat 1: BadDaddyToo ( 1334 )
Seat 3: unjustxdc ( 3293 )
Seat 10: bmouzoon ( 2260 )
Trny:29709145 Level:2
Blinds(30/60)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to blankoblanco [ Tc As ]
unjustxdc: sigh
Maxmor folds.
mrclips folds.
nz001716 folds.
bmouzoon folds.
BadDaddyToo calls [60].
blankoblanco calls [60]. <------- RAISE???
unjustxdc calls [30].
Akira1251 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7c, 7d, Ah ]
mrclips: that sucks
unjustxdc checks.
Akira1251 checks.
BadDaddyToo bets [268].
blankoblanco calls [268]. Was this a bad move on my part? Should I raise to find out where I am? Seemed like a bit of an overbet to begin with and I didn't want to get too committed. The guy had been kind of hyper aggressive from what I'd seen.

I probably fold to an overbet like this given stack sizes, but calling isn't _THAT_ horrible, either you're way ahead or way behind.

unjustxdc folds.
Akira1251 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9h ]
BadDaddyToo is all-In [1106]
blankoblanco ... Well?

I think I fold. what are you beating? ace-8? his line seems a lot like a seven wanting to get a bad call from an ace.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I thought too, but then I wondered, would he bet that much if he hit trips on a rainbow flop with no straight draw?

And should I really raise AT 8-handed? It's not a very good hand... I figure if the A hits, I can be pretty sure I've got the best kicker and any A-rag that stayed in the hand will probably call me down and give me their chips. Of course the 2 7s kind of screwed that up.

Any more input?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bit read dependent but I'd probably call if he's a maniac as you say. He likely has something like A3 or pocket sixes. I can't see him having an ace with a better kicker. He might have a 7 but I can't see him playing that quite so fast.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ATo on the button with 1 limper? Raise! 4X BB would at least get rid of the blinds and give you better info. Then if the guy bets out on the flop, you know he has a 7 or an Ace and could have you outkicked. I'd think about folding then unless you read him as "maniac".

The turn push could only mean he has a 7 or AK. Or maybe even AA slowplayed. A definite fold here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to disagree with Sticker and Dingo here - with a seven, he's most probably not going to overbet the pot. There's no legit draw to scare him into playing it fast, and factor in the fact that you've seen him being hyper-aggressive in the past, I wouldn't put him past a medium-low pair or some other random stealing hand. With an ace bigger than AT, he's definitely raising PF (given that he's LAG) and although in this position I'm usually pretty cautious about the 7, considering he's a LAG player I'm definitely discrediting his hand strength some.

I would be a million times more worried had a 'hyper-aggressive' player started check-calling (abnormal for him) on a flop like this.

I'm not sure I like how you played this, but given how the hand played out I think I call here. (I'd raise PF to define everyone's hand and to get value from my hand, and then I could be pretty sure noone held a 7 and would only have to worry about being out-kicked)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can of course see the reasoning for raising in this spot. It's just, with A9 and AT I've made a lot of chips off just limping with a couple players, letting an A-rag play, hitting an A and then having them call, call, call with the ace and worse kicker and giving me their chips. It's been quite profitable really, and they usually make it pretty clear when and if they hit 2 pair. It might not be the smartest play, but I just know it's worked for me often. In this situation it may or may not have gotten me into a mess.

Given the situation I got myself into: my thoughts were pretty conflicted and I wonder if I didn't overanalyze it. On one hand the bet and one of that size on that board did seem unlikely to me if my opponent hit trip 7s, but on the other hand, I wondered if it wasn't a perfect bet to entice anyone with an A to call, because they wouldn't believe a 7 would make that bet. On the other hand, the guy had shown aggressive tendencies, and maybe he had nothing and just thought, "a 7 is unlikely and nobody raised so maybe nobody has an ace, I'll just bet at it." This was my thought process. I really wasn't worried about being outkicked... I was pretty sure the guy would have raised with AJ or better. Of course the turn and resulting action made A9 a possibility...

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd be happy to hear it. I'll tell the result later.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to disagree with Sticker and Dingo here - with a seven, he's most probably not going to overbet the pot.
Preflop pot is 240. Villian's flop bet was 268. This looks like a Party hand and their slider is hard to hit precise numbers for most. I bet he meant to make a pot-sized bet and went a bit over. Plus with 4 players still in, I'd make the same bet with a 7. If they all call, even the last guy in is getting 4-1 pot odds to stay. A paired board makes a boat possible later on. So a pot-sized bet creates bad odds and gains info.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands