Heads Up NL AK Scenario

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This scenario came up in a heads up tournament last night. Opponent and myself are about even with 50BB each. I raise to 2.5x with AK. He reraises to 8x.

Now there are three options I can see:

1. Call and play the flop for value.
  2. Reraise to 24x or so.
  3. Shove all-in.
Number 1 is of course an option. I don't think that's a bad choice, although I lean away from it in this case because we're a little bit lacking in implied odds due to stack size. In the first level, I'm going to usually flat call a reraise in position with AK, but that's with bigger stacks relative to the blinds.

I'm mainly concerned about #2 versus #3. Obviously the raise size in #2 is pot committing. The two bets are functionally the same, but they may be psychologically different. Which do you think will fold out more underpairs? Is the smaller reraise scarier? Also, if you would make a smaller reraise than 24x that wouldn't necessarily be playing for stacks preflop, I would appreciate hearing about that.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#3, AK loses a lot of its value calling all in rather than forcing your opponent to make the call. AA or KK is calling you no matter what but you can more easily fold QQ, JJ with a shove, and removes the possibility of you chickening out and folding if he shoves AQ and you convince yourself he has AA. Another thing to consider is if you are in position or not. I am more like to shove out of position as it eliminates my opponents positional advantage if I am on the fence about what to do.

Edit: I have been playing a lot of cash games so am rusty at tournament strategy so it is possible ^^ is total nonsense.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the difference really in 2 and 3. Are you worried of him possibly stop and go-ing? I'd probably use no. 2 and call the shove if he continues with the hand.

C

Craig21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove. You have most hands dominated expecially heads up:)

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the difference really in 2 and 3. Are you worried of him possibly stop and go-ing? I'd probably use no. 2 and call the shove if he continues with the hand.

No, not worried about the stop and go, because I'd have odds to call anyway. I'm wondering whether there's any difference in how he's going to react with pocket pairs. Will he fold more of them to the all-in? Will he fold more of them to the smaller raise? Are they the same?

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, not worried about the stop and go, because I'd have odds to call anyway. I'm wondering whether there's any difference in how he's going to react with pocket pairs. Will he fold more of them to the all-in? Will he fold more of them to the smaller raise? Are they the same?

Well, with this said, I think the reraise to 24x is our best move. Although both moves are very close, I think the shove represents more of the AK/AQ range and he may call with the small pp range...where as the 24x can also include us representing the 1010/ JJ range, and he may be more inclined to let the hand go.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re: the pocket pairs, I find they're entirely villain-dependent. There are two basic mindsets: "Preflop, any pair is a monster heads up - I'm getting aaawwwrrr in" and "I'm flipping at best, I'm gonna wait for a better spot besides he's probably got a better pair than me right now".

The thing about those mindsets is that they're probably not going to react much differently whether you four-bet or just shove. The former is never folding a pair, and the latter probably folds a pair in both cases.

If one's folding regardless and one's calling regardless, then you throw all the other possible hands like worse aces and unpaired paint that will likely call you into the mix, do like Van says and shove for value.

B

BuffaloDolly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the opponent, a call seems like the most reasonable choice. Against an opponent who kept hammering me everyhand playing HU, I would probally push at that point, or make a reasonable reraise if my chipstack allowed.