What do you do?

• Total voters
M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Past reads: This guy is really tight. I broke his AA with 94 because he checked in the BB and checked flop and let me catch. The very next hand after he limped with KK and let me turn a straight. Both were decent pots. The hand befor he showed a bluff in whick he bet 2 streets and pushed me of a mediocre hand for a small pot. I think my chat got to him and he was going to show me another bluff. There is also a lot of draws. Also consider the fact that you can fold and have about $2k to fight on.

pokerstars Game, $5.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2006/10/14 - 21:43:18 (ET)
Table '33729093 1' 2-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: mischman (2040 in chips)
Seat 2: $choppen,J. (960 in chips)
$choppen,J.: posts small blind 10
mischman: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mischman [Ts 8c]
mischman said, "wooo"
$choppen,J.: calls 10
mischman said, "you bluff"
mischman: checks
*** FLOP *** [7h 5h 8d]
mischman: bets 60
$choppen,J. said, "is that what it is?"
mischman said, "lol"
$choppen,J.: raises 880 to 940 and is all-in
mischman...........

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a strong hand, small pot, I fold. If he only around 500 (or less) I call, but in this hand a call will give him a considerable lead if he wins. There are a lot of over cards he could be holding and hit. Pick a better spot to call his all in.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold. You have a huge edge that you'd be putting in jeopardy here. Given the board, you're probably ahead here the majority of the time, but if he has a straight draw or flush draw with any overcard you're not that huge of a favorite. There's pretty much nothing in the pot, so I don't see the reason to risk it with that hand when you have a strong grip on the match.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold....nothing in the pot to lose sleep about. It's obvious you are the better player, pick a better time and take him down.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're heads-up and you have him covered. You've got top pair. He has no idea you're so strong. He sounds like a donk rather than a good player. Call.

On second thoughts though you wouldn't be posting if you called and won... hmmm.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tough one, really. The likelihood here is that you are actually leading. He sounds way too much like he is tilting. That said, this is still level 1. You appear to be a much better player, so I'm going to say let him have the bluff an $50 pot and pick a better place. It could also be that he is playing an 8 with a better kicker, too.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold....nothing in the pot to lose sleep about.
Umm... it's not a 50 chip pot, it's a 1040 chip pot. Plus you win the tourney if you win the hand. Plently to play for. Once they're in the pot, the fact that only 80 of them were originally yours is irrelevant.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
T8o is a coin-flip against a random pair heads up. I'd have raised pre-flop (to about 50-100). Fold equity makes this a positive play (sure - it's only for the blind), but you'd also have a reading on his follow-up bet (assuming he calls).

As the flop goes, you're 2:1 faves against random cards. Given your read, he could hold anything. Your pot odds are ~1:1 so I reckon take a swing.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold and wait for a better hand.

If you can make him think, through chat, that he`s successfully intimidated you and he`s getting the upper hand, so much the better. He`ll try it again when you`ve got a real hand.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
T8o is a coin-flip against a random pair heads up. I'd have raised pre-flop (to about 50-100). Fold equity makes this a positive play (sure - it's only for the blind), but you'd also have a reading on his follow-up bet (assuming he calls).

As the flop goes, you're 2:1 faves against random cards. Given your read, he could hold anything. Your pot odds are ~1:1 so I reckon take a swing.
Just a Question, Is it very strategic to raise a 10-8os preflop in HU?
I voted to fold as he may have flopped 2 pair.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm... it's not a 50 chip pot, it's a 1040 chip pot. Plus you win the tourney if you win the hand. Plently to play for. Once they're in the pot, the fact that only 80 of them were originally yours is irrelevant.
Actually it is only 100 chips you're giving up (don't know how I counted 50). It is a 1040 chip pot for the purposes of pot odds (which, in this case suck). But my point was that you aren't in a great position here in general. You may be leading with him on tilt, but you may also be losing here. If you evaluate against all possible hands, then yeah, you could be favorite. Realistically, you're more like even money.

If you fold the hand here you give up the 100 chips in the pot. Then find a better spot to nail him. Use the chat to push his tilt and egg him on.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Past reads: This guy is really tight........

PokerStars Game, $5.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2006/10/14 - 21:43:18 (ET)
Table '33729093 1' 2-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: mischman (2040 in chips)
Seat 2: $choppen,J. (960 in chips)
$choppen,J.: posts small blind 10
mischman: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mischman [Ts 8c]
mischman said, "wooo"
$choppen,J.: calls 10
mischman said, "you bluff"
mischman: checks
*** FLOP *** [7h 5h 8d]
mischman: bets 60
$choppen,J. said, "is that what it is?"
mischman said, "lol"
$choppen,J.: raises 880 to 940 and is all-in
mischman...........

That alone is enough for me to fold. Small pot, marginal hand vs. a tight player (easy pickings HU) - you have plenty of time to take him out with better situations.

stretch833

stretch833

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I voted to go with my gut. In this case, I would probably fold, because my hand isn't a dominating hand. With the straight and flush draws out there, would be enough to scare me off, personally.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call, it's a $5 game and you can end it there and then. Top pair is enough for me, and his bet doesn't really imply to me he has it as well (or better). If you lose you've still got 1,000 chips.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call, top pair is a monster in heads up. He probably thinks you missed the flop and figures he'll take it here. You have a chance to take him out with top pair, what would you be waiting for the absolute nuts?

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used timebank thinking about it weighing the pros and cons of what people said and decided to call. He had 83 and the board bricked.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands