Heads up game

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to show the whole hand here, including results. I just want comments on my general play. Namely:

- is the shove correct?
- is not shoving preflop ok?
- is checking the flop ok?

Reads wise I've been raising quite a lot preflop recently but seldom OOP.

Blinds: 600/1200 (quite far into it)
Hero: ~9000
Villian: ~20000

My cards: AKo

Villian calls 600.
Hero raises to 3200.
Villian calls 2000.

Flop: KJ6 rainbow

Hero checks (wanting to induce a bluff)
Villian bets 2500.
Hero shoves
Villain calls and shows J6 and I miss on the turn and river.

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That hand was played perfectly. You bet before the flop, you checked with a monster (top pair heads up is like flopping a set in a full table) and you just got unlucky.

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you were pot-commited with the pre-flop raise, and you knew you were going all-in if you hit your hand, so maybe you should have went all-in pre-flop? But this was heads up so you most likely made the right play. The villain actually played this hand very well. That was a perfect bet on the flop. It looked just like he was trying to buy the pot.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd reply but Cuban said it quite well.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only minor mistake I see is raising a little small preflop. Raise at least 3600, you're out of position and even two small cards are only a 1.7:1 underdog against two overcards. Other than that you played it fine just got unlucky.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't fault the play, you just got unlucky.

With the stack sizes and blinds as they are you could probably have shoved this pre-flop as well, but it really depends on how the game's being played: just calling the big blind heads up shows little if any strength on villain's part, and you'd probably prefer to get a bit more action with what is really a monster hand heads up.

As played, once you hit the flop it's standard play. TPTK is definitely shove-worthy in this spot.

Top 10 Games