R

ropecore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1
$75/$150 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 15 11 2014 17:22:42
Tournament #63549259 $0.85 + $0.15 - Table #1 (real money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: rhubbard6290 ( $4,338 )
Seat 4: Sonicleet ( $245 )
Seat 5: ropecore ( $930 )
Seat 7: virus727 ( $3,842 )
Seat 10: AABADBEATS ( $4,145 )
Sonicleet posts small blind [$75]
ropecore posts big blind [$150]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ropecore [ 5s, 7c ]
virus727 calls [$150]
AABADBEATS calls [$150]
rhubbard6290 folds
Sonicleet folds
ropecore checks
** Dealing flop ** [ Qs, Qd, Qh ]
ropecore checks
virus727 checks
AABADBEATS checks
** Dealing turn ** [ 4s ]
ropecore checks
virus727 checks
AABADBEATS checks
** Dealing river ** [ 7h ]
ropecore checks
virus727 checks
AABADBEATS bets [$525]
ropecore raises [$780]
virus727 folds
AABADBEATS calls [$255]
** Summary **
ropecore shows [ 5s, 7c ]
AABADBEATS shows [ Ac, As ]
AABADBEATS collected [ $2,085 ]

My thought process: I checked to see the flop. No one raised and both high stacks had high VPIP in that stage of the game (above 50%). QQQ comes and all of them check. We all check after turn as well so at this point I assumed noone had Q or anything for that matter since they were usually agressive. 7 comes which gives me a pair. I checked it because I didn't want to risk. Only the last player bet which I assumed was him just trying to steal the top so I called. Do you think this was the right choice? I certainly didn't expect AA.

Hand 2
$75/$150 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 15 11 2014 17:07:53
Tournament #63548738 $0.85 + $0.15 - Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 2: ropecore ( $2,175 )
Seat 3: D_Story ( $5,810 )
Seat 9: jemanje23 ( $3,390 )
Seat 10: 205hoolz ( $2,125 )
205hoolz posts small blind [$75]
ropecore posts big blind [$150]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ropecore [ Th, Jd ]
D_Story calls [$150]
jemanje23 calls [$150]
205hoolz folds
ropecore checks
** Dealing flop ** [ Ts, 8h, 3s ]
ropecore checks
D_Story bets [$150]
jemanje23 calls [$150]
ropecore raises [$2,025]
D_Story calls [$1,875]
jemanje23 folds
** Dealing turn ** [ 5s ]
** Dealing river ** [ Kd ]
** Summary **
ropecore shows [ Th, Jd ]
D_Story shows [ Tc, Kc ]
D_Story collected [ $4,725 ]

My thought process: Both of them callers had high stacks had high VPIP. I saw him min bet with worse hands before so I thought he was just bluffing. Jemanje was calling a lot so I didn't think of him having anything so I pushed all in. I don't think I could have folded 150 bet with top pair and decent kicker so the other 2 options were call or raise. Since I was short stack I don't know if I could just continue calling his min bets and raise would require at least 600 chips which would make me commited, or not? So should I raise, call or fold at this point?
Hand 3
$10/$20 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 15 11 2014 17:03:47
Tournament #63549517 $0.85 + $0.15 - Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: Gagik1989 ( $3,110 )
Seat 2: bsv369 ( $1,450 )
Seat 3: Dony3004 ( $2,255 )
Seat 5: AilingSnail ( $2,145 )
Seat 6: hironao9 ( $1,315 )
Seat 7: ELowes13 ( $1,100 )
Seat 9: ropecore ( $1,450 )
Seat 10: charliechin ( $675 )
Dony3004 posts small blind [$10]
AilingSnail posts big blind [$20]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ropecore [ Kh, Kd ]
hironao9 folds
ELowes13 folds
ropecore raises [$80]
charliechin calls [$80]
Gagik1989 folds
bsv369 folds
Dony3004 folds
AilingSnail folds
** Dealing flop ** [ Qd, 6h, Jd ]
ropecore bets [$120]
charliechin calls [$120]
** Dealing turn ** [ 3h ]
ropecore bets [$250]
charliechin raises [$475]
ropecore calls [$225]
** Dealing river ** [ Tc ]
** Summary **
ropecore shows [ Kh, Kd ]
charliechin shows [ Qs, Jc ]
charliechin collected [ $1,380 ]

My thought process: I get Kings, I raise. Small stack calls the raise. He had very high participation (around 80%) and I previously saw him make a call with a low pair. I was certain I was ahead with kings and I was trying to value bet, especially since there was no ace. What would you do differently? Change the size of the bets or maybe try to just check?

Hand 4
$25/$50 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 15 11 2014 16:55:47
Tournament #63548859 $0.85 + $0.15 - Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: mikpara ( $5,235 )
Seat 3: Clif8735 ( $1,460 )
Seat 5: veggie23 ( $2,303 )
Seat 7: ropecore ( $2,477 )
Seat 10: WArevalo ( $2,025 )
ropecore posts small blind [$25]
WArevalo posts big blind [$50]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ropecore [ Kh, As ]
mikpara raises [$100]
Clif8735 folds
veggie23 calls [$100]
ropecore raises [$2,452]
WArevalo folds
mikpara calls [$2,377]
veggie23 folds
** Dealing flop ** [ 5h, 2c, Ts ]
** Dealing turn ** [ Kd ]
** Dealing river ** [ Js ]
** Summary **
mikpara shows [ Th, Jh ]
ropecore shows [ Kh, As ]
mikpara collected [ $5,104 ]

My thought process: Players on this table were calling everything so even if I just reraised to 400 or 350 I would get a lot of callers so I only wanted to take the blinds. I personally don't like going all in with AK since it's a very weak in all in situation so maybe just raising 300 and hoping to hit A or K would be best hopes. What would you do?

I can't find the other game in my HM2 so I will just type the basics as much as I can remember.
Hand 5
There were 5 or 6 players left. Blinds were 75/150. I had around 2100 chips.I had AdQs (don't remember the position but it was third to act or something like this. I was SB and I raise 450 and BB calls. Flop comes A83s. I check and he instantly checks behind me. Jd comes out. At this point I bet probably 1/2 of the pot and he goes all in. What should I do in this situation?

My thought process: I was raising from SB so I could have just tried to steal the blinds. This made me think that he had a weak hand. Flop comes and it was perfect for me. Top pair with decent kicker and a chance and a nut flash draw. I was afraid that if I bet I would scare him away so I checked. After he checked back I asssumed he was weak.

After he went All in I was wondering what he had iff he had AJ maybe. I thought not. I assumed he went for all in push to force me to fold so I call his all in. It turns out he had JsJh. I never expected this. I don't think I would ever win this pot. My option was to bet on the flop. With only 1 overcard, him having a JJ and Js for the flush he would not fold. But regardless of that do you think betting on the flop would be a better option. I don't think I could fold on the flop since it's possible he was bluffing, I had a good hand already and a chance at nut flush.

C

CactusCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assumed he went for all in push to force me to fold so I call his all in. It turns out he had JsJh. I never expected this.

Why would you not consider JJ? You checked the flop and he insta-checked behind. You should be betting the flop 100% of the time even if you had pocket aces and flopped top set especially since he has position on you. If you give someone infinite odds to outdraw you, then you can't be surprised at what he shows up with on the turn.

Hand 2 you overplay top pair of tens with a Jack kicker. This is the hand you're willing to bust out on? What worse can call your all in? T9?

Unlucky with pocket kings.

AK, you could consider flatting. You're right that your stack size makes it awkward. The reality is that you will probably miss the flop whether you call or raise, and someone will hit middle pair with some trash hand and you'll be burning money if you c-bet. Shoving preflop with AK rarely results in a happy outcome. By flatting with only two other players, you could stand to lose the minimum when you miss and win the maximum when you get lucky and hit.

If you flop an Ace or King, you'll be bet into by the preflop raiser repping the ace. You can move in and take the pot down since now you have a much stronger lock on the hand as opposedto preflop and there's enough there for a big chip up, or slowplay one street if there aren't obvious draws. If the first caller has a big ace, you'll double up. If he has a pocket pair, he is less likely to hit a set than you are to hit an Ace or King, so in this instance, I might just call.

Last edited:
R

ropecore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you not consider JJ? You checked the flop and he insta-checked behind. You should be betting the flop 100% of the time even if you had pocket aces and flopped top set especially since he has position on you. If you give someone infinite odds to outdraw you, then you can't be surprised at what he shows up with on the turn.

Hand 2 you overplay top pair of tens with a Jack kicker. This is the hand you're willing to bust out on? What worse can call your all in? T9?

Unlucky with pocket kings.

AK, you could consider flatting. You're right that your stack size makes it awkward. The reality is that you will probably miss the flop whether you call or raise, and someone will hit middle pair with some trash hand and you'll be burning money if you c-bet. Shoving preflop with AK rarely results in a happy outcome. By flatting with only two other players, you could stand to lose the minimum when you miss and win the maximum when you get lucky and hit.

If you flop an Ace or King, you'll be bet into by the preflop raiser repping the ace. You can move in and take the pot down since now you have a much stronger lock on the hand as opposedto preflop and there's enough there for a big chip up, or slowplay one street if there aren't obvious draws. If the first caller has a big ace, you'll double up. If he has a pocket pair, he is less likely to hit a set than you are to hit an Ace or King, so in this instance, I might just call.

Ok, so I will try to be more agressive and not try to check and hope for a bet to re-raise unless I have a read on opponent that he will probably bet if I check.

About the J10 all in. I was playing very tight this game because I received very low ammount of playable hands. As I said both callers had high VPIP and just called the blinds. The other person min bets which I assumed was just a small bet to get you out of the pot which usually is so I just went all in to represent a set or 2 pairs and I expected him to fold. If he calls I knew I was beat. What would you do in this situation? I could have called but with a 3 man pot if I didn't have advantage before I certainly wont have advantage after turn unless another 10 or J would come (obviously I wouldn't have advantage since he had a 10 but in general). That would be 5 outer. So you think I should fold as low stack vs high VPIP player when I hit top pair?

But wasn't this game similiar to the AQ and JJ games. I had top pair with good kicker but opponent had set yet I still called his all in. In J10 I got called even though he did not have a set. The other option would be raising but a raise would require 500 or 600 and then if I get re raised or called I would concede the pot, especially after K came, but this would leave me crippled for later hands.

C

CactusCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see your point on the JT hand, but yes, I still think you can fold the flop as low stack vs high VPIP player when you hit top pair and jack kicker. It's not a heads up pot.

D_Story bet, and he picked up a caller before it comes to you. The best case scenario is that one of them is on a straight draw like J9 or minbetting a gutshot and overs like JQ, and the other has a flush draw, in which case you have the best hand.

That just strikes me as very optimistic. What's likelier is that one of them is on a draw who you are ahead of, but the other guy has a 10, in which case your jack kicker is never good and you have 3 outs. I don't even think flatting is a good play, because the jack of spades might not be live. You probably don't have the fold equity to push out whoever has the 10 with Queen+ kicker and isolate/get it all in against the guy on the draw.

You got to act last after the sb and you check and he bets and the sb calls. That's usually enough information for you to know your hand is, at best, marginal. I still understand the move though, you're lowstacked and have to get back in it and you can't just let yourself blind away. I've been there too, and don't really fault the play.

Last edited:
BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might get more input by posting each hand in the Tournament Hand Analysis section and by following these guidelines .

Tagged a mod to have your post moved to that section.

Hand analyses are a really great way of upping your game, and the feedback here is invaluable.

Thanks for posting the hands and welcome to CardsChat.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1: While you are most likely ahead on this river, your raise can never really get called by a worse hand. Just flat the river bet and hope maybe the 3rd player calls along with a worse hand like any 4 or Ace hi.

Hand 2: is a tough spot. Your top pair has a decent chance of being good on this flop but it is multiway and draws are present so it's a really tough hand to play, especially out of position.

option #1 fold. kinda weak but keeps you out of trouble in a pot where you have a marginal hand and 2 other players are showing interest in the pot.

option #2 flat. keeps you in with decent equity and keeps the pot small. doesn't define your hand at all. still have a marginal hand out of position in a multiway pot. you're getting 5.5:1 pot odds to call right here. The pot will be 975 on the turn and you'll have 1,875 left behind. If a spade or overcard comes on the turn you can check/fold to a show of strength and limit your losses. if a T or J comes on the turn you can check raise all in. if a blank comes on the turn then you could get roped into calling another bet with a 2nd best hand. if you check/call a 500 chip turn bet then the pot will be 1975 going to the river and you'll have just 1,375 left behind; so if you still have top pair at the river it will be tough to fold if the draws miss....

option 3: check raise all in on this flop. This gives you the highest likelihood of winning the pot, but also with the highest risk. Your bet will ONLY get called by a better T or a draw. You will also fold out all the hands you are beating and you are unlikely to get a better hand to fold. QT might fold (or might call) but KT+ will call. T9 will fold. T8 will call and has you crushed.

I'd probably choose option #1 or 2....but folding top pair is hard, so I might lean towards flatting and re-assessing on the turn.

Hand #3 is a standard unlucky spot. It is a little weird that he decides to raise a blank on the turn...does kind of scream strength like a slow played set...but he didn't raise very big so your call with an overpair on the turn is fine. I like the check back on the river.

Hand 4: I generally don't really like jamming in a spot like this, because your bet is so big you generally only get called by pairs, and usually the bigger pairs. but if the players on your table are calling really light then I guess it's OK.

Hand 5: is basically a cooler when AQ faces of against JJ blind vs blind. He kind of slow played you but it really doesn't matter because if you don't both get it in at some point in this hand, you're both playing like nits.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands