Good shove?

LizaBuv

LizaBuv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

Was playing a $1,000 Guaranteed tourney today at bodog. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this shove?

SB 30 BB 60

I open for 150 from MP with 9 10s. The guy calls me from the Hijack.

Flop comes 10s 6h 9h. I bet out 300 and he click raises to 600. I shove.
Stacks were about 4000 deep before the hand started.

Turns out the guy had a st flush draw but it didnt come in...Liza Buv

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bit too early to be risking your whole stack against what could be a flush draw or a flopped set. You'll win the hand a good percentage of the time, but unless he calls you really have no value in shoving - and if he calls you, you really don't want to see what he has!

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a bit too early to be risking your whole stack against what could be a flush draw or a flopped set. You'll win the hand a good percentage of the time, but unless he calls you really have no value in shoving - and if he calls you, you really don't want to see what he has!

I disagree.

First off, (raising from MP with 9 10s aside) if you really felt you wanted to see this hand out, shoving is the better of your available options and here's why.

You just call and any heart, Q or J hit the turn filling many potential draws. Now you just called your way into a losing spot. What are you going to do now? Check/fold? Bet out and either get raised? Bet out and get called, leaving you hoping for a 9 or 10 on the river? Check/call hoping that the HJ is bluffing with his position?

None of these scenarios are in your favor, nevermind the fact that if you just call you have just put over 1/4 of your stack into the pot against a drawing board out of position. Running into a set is possible, but unlikely.

Keep in mind that yes, it is early in the tourney and a flopped 2pr is very strong against the majority of a normal HJ raise callinrg range, and this is a good spot to double up (vs A 10, AK any pp JJ+ and the like), or at the very least pick up 1200 chips if your opponent folds.

In this situation (again aside from raising with 9 10 tsk tsk) folding to the minraise is a huge chip leak, and making the villian put his entire stack on a draw is a very good scenario. The villian made the mistake(s) of minraising your bet, then calling your shove.

Just stop raising mid suited connectors from MP and you won't have to deal with this again. In the end you got the better of it, but overall this a losing play.

LizzieO

LizzieO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

Was playing a $1,000 Guaranteed tourney today at Bodog. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this shove?

SB 30 BB 60

I am not sure if I would have played the suited 9 10 from mid position but sometimes early in the tourney I will try suited connectors from late postion in an unraised pot, they can pay off big when they hit, but if I did, I probably would have played it the way you did, top two pair. The other player could have had 66 and hit the set, or 78 for the straight, but this is unlikely, and your top two pair was solid.

Chasing a str flush is a very long shot, and the chasers can help you in building a stack in a tourney early on.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's only 2 answers for your question. Yes or no.

To answer only your question & not critique or pick apart your play like in a couple of the other comments, I say yes.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's easy to just answer yes or no. But nobody's going to learn anything from this forum if there is not some explaination as to why you answer yes or no as well. You should know that.

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have did the same thing you did, you had the best hand at the time and you wanted to get all the draws out. Makes sense to me.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1,000 guarenteed? What would the buy-in be on that? I would probably shove there, like you did, to try to push out the draws.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easy to just answer yes or no. But nobody's going to learn anything from this forum if there is not some explaination as to why you answer yes or no as well. You should know that.

Oh geeeez, getting defensive on the internet, LOL.

I didn't give an explanation as to why I thought "yes" was the correct answer because his question was simply "good shove?".

Sorry, I didn't feel the need to critique his/her play.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh geeeez, getting defensive on the internet, LOL.

I didn't give an explanation as to why I thought "yes" was the correct answer because his question was simply "good shove?".

Sorry, I didn't feel the need to critique his/her play.

lol. no, not defensive, just was in a smart ass kinda mood when I posted that. All is good SF.:D

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

Was playing a $1,000 Guaranteed tourney today at Bodog. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this shove?

SB 30 BB 60

moved this to Hand Analysis.

The flop shove is super duper standard, however I don't really like the raise pre-flop. I'm mucking this most of the time, because we're going to be out of position most of the time and stacks are just barely deep enough for us to have the correct implied odds. I'd feel much better about playing this on the button behind several limpers, but here I'm not feelin it.

LizaBuv

LizaBuv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The buyin to the tourney was 12+1. It looks as though most people have disagreed with my preflop raise with the 9 10s. This brings up a good topic for another post. I have been looking into Daniel N (Small Ball) strategy. Question is, am I taking it to far

I will do up a new post for this...Liza

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd open sometimes with sc's from middle position like this, as long as the table hasn't been very loose (since you have to fold to a big 3-bet). I wouldn't do it every time, but if you get called by a stronger hand and hit you can win a big pot. Obviously don't stack off with top pair.

Agree with everyone else the shove on the flop in this hand was all good. Sometimes you're beat, but not often enough to make it unprofitable. Most of the time it's an overpair, a draw, or even top pair or less depending on the donk-o-meter.