FT bubble shove?

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
180 person $4 MTT. Top 18 get paid with 18th-10th getting a whopping $8 for their efforts. 10 people remain...

My shoves have got some respect so far. The only two that were called I had AK and ran into AQ both times. Should I be shoving this or waiting for a better spot?

pokerstars Game #17108177323: Tournament #86679197, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (500/1000) - 2008/04/30 - 17:57:01 (ET)
Table '86679197 13' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: PoKeRkNuTT (57532 in chips)
Seat 2: CfPoker333 (9510 in chips)
Seat 3: ttamsox (4188 in chips)
Seat 5: Renebluf (13124 in chips)
Seat 6: NorseB (23693 in chips)
PoKeRkNuTT: posts the ante 100
CfPoker333: posts the ante 100
ttamsox: posts the ante 100
Renebluf: posts the ante 100
NorseB: posts the ante 100
NorseB: posts small blind 500
PoKeRkNuTT: posts big blind 1000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CfPoker333 [As 8s]
CfPoker333: ??

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the stacks at your table a shove is probably marginally profitable in terms of chip EV, though BB has a huge stack so he might be willing to call you with any pretty good hand reducing your fold equity a lot, but I'd prefer to know the stacks at the other tables, if someone's in imminent threat of elimination this could be a very costly shove in terms of tournament EV. If the 4188 stack is the shortest stack remaining I might consider it, but I'd probably still prefer to wait and take the blind so you have good odds against the short stack who's going to be UTG next hand, and you can decide if you want to go to war with him if he raises when he's facing going into the BB next hand (and if no one else has come into the hand against him.) Having position preflop in this situation next hand is a huge advantage, as all your plays are going to be preflop plays. You'll also be able to put him all-in from the SB if no one's put in a raise. So I'd say usually wait for the next hand.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG, it would be a risky move even if you have a TAG table image. However, the chances of you having a better hand are slim since you have only nine big blinds left (8 if you fold). You're already in the money and being one of the shortstacks, I would consider pushing.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
instafold imo, id rather push any 2 from small blind and button over pushing utg into HUGE stacks bb.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I would never push here. The BB is almost compelled to call us with a decent hand, that is ignoring the other 4 players, and we don't want a call.

Wait for a better spot, we have a tiny bit of room left and one more guy out means we get paid something decent.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably wait for a better spot as well - payouts should start going up quickly if you make the final table, and even though we're short handed we'll likely be able to find better spots to steal from.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But, But, But, you have deadman's hand, and you sooted!!!!!!!!

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too risky for my likings. As someone else said, the BB is almost compelled to call with any 2 here and you don't really want callers. I'd let it go and try to defend the blinds if possible. you've still got a little time left in this situation to be patient.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But, But, But, you have deadman's hand, and you sooted!!!!!!!!

'tain't the dead man's hand until he's got another one of each to match :p

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like shoving UTG and into the two big stacks' blinds at all here. If we were down to say 5-6k in chips we would need to shove out of necessity, but as it is I probably fold.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, neither do I, and I have no idea why I did it. The second I pressed the all in button I was kicking myself for the rash moment of stupidity. Annoying really as I'm usually quite good at being patient and waiting for a decent spot. Ah well, I'll chalk this one down to experience :)

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sucks that the two people who can call with similiar hands are in the blinds when you're UTG.

UTG I think you have to just let this one go. Maybe if you had A/T sooted, and probably with A/J.

Dorkus, what's your range for shoving in this position?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold, but some do remember your hand in relation to respecting your raise, but some times, well most of the time people do not remember so sometimes thats a bad decision

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oops answered without reading the question all the way, was thinking, 'cause of the title, it was still the bubble, it's probably still too weak to push with. People often tend to be a bit more conservative in their calls here than optimal, so you'd probably still show a little profit with a push here, but I'd say it's generally going to be a fold as the risk just isn't worth it.
I was thinking shoving range of something like, but it depends a lot on the stacks at the other table: 55+/ATs+/AQo+/KTs+/QTs+/JTs