$Freeroll NLHE: Would you have called this?

Marduk

Marduk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: Would you have called this?

I was wondering how you guys would have played this hand. Down to about 180 ppl, top 81 get paid. and my stack is about double average. I hit a straight on the flop, unfortunately there are 3 diamonds on the board here is how it played out.

Stacks:
SB with 11580
BB with 11345
UTG with 7074
UTG+1 with 3063
MP1 with 7810
MP2 with 19825
MP3 with 8950
CO with 21367
BTN with 21228

Blinds: 200/400

Site:
Pokerstars
Dealt to MP2:K♣ T♣
Sklansky group 4

Preflop:

3 players fold.
Hero calls [400]
MP3 calls [400]
CO calls [400]
BB: checks
2 players folded.
Total folds this street: 5
Potsize: 1800

Flop:

9♦ J♦ Q♦
BB: checks
Hero bets [1200]
2 players fold.
MP3 calls [1200]
CO raises 19742 to 20942 [ all-in ]
3 players fold.
Uncalled bet (19742) returned to CO
CO collected 5625 from pot
Total folds this street: 3

Do u think I should have called the massive reraise or did I do the right thing by laying it down?
He didn't show so I don't know for sure whether or not he hit the flush.

Last edited:
M

mecoble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u gotta fold, most of the time when ppl raise on a flop like that they have a small flush and chasing out bigger draws. he could have the naked ace or some kind of 2 pair but i would not call all my chips there, if he was short stack i might call 1/4 my chips or lower. also i dont like the move at all of limping in with k10 in that position, if ur first to play never limp if its a super tight table maybe raise there but most of the time u shouldnt be playing that hand

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to fold. its pretty likely he has hit a flush, maybe a set and he's chasing out any drawing hands.

you also put youself at a disadvantage by simply limping and allowing more player's to enter the pot and have a chance to outdraw you

motyennif

motyennif

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all it was a mistake to limp with KTs when first to act - should have a been a raise. After the flop, if this was a money tournament I probably would have folded, but it depends on the type of player you are playing against (loose-tight, aggressive-passive). Seeing as this is a freeroll, I would be more inclined to push with the nut straight. (But knowing my luck, would probably be beat LOL).

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, i would've raised. After the flop i would've been afraid of the flush so probably would've folded.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with mecoble, he probably hit a small flush. There's no reason for a reraise only on a bluff in this particular case

0maxpower0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough to call here. Even if he doesnt have a flush hes probably got a backdoor flush draw, maybe even runner runner to hit better straight. Gotta think that he could have a two pair, and just maybe a smaller straight? unless its the beginning of a rebuy u could probably find a better spot, specially with 3 other players in it.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
After the flop, I would have bet at least the pot, to give bad pot odds to somebody with one diamond. After the raise, it would depend on what I knew about the raiser. He might very well have QJ and also trying to bet out somebody with one diamond. If he has successfully bet you off of hands already, he might be playing the scare cards. If he has been playing tight, he probably flushed up. But I probably would not have called, at that point in the tournament.

G

godoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the right decision, I don't see another reason to he re-raised you
he had the flush or an ace of diamonds and a queen, and in a scary board like this, any other diamond would bust you out, and in a freeroll, you ALWAYS have the flush catchers, and they would probably call any raise with a flushdraw

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol at the comments here, people think of the sitatuion. Firstly raise preflop, as played snap call please

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of liked a little more information on the villain here. Is he a very loose player? tight? If he was a loose player, i may have considered long to call this all-in. Although, I believe you did the right thing here. You weren't gonna win the tournament on that hand. Lose the battle, win the war.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the way you played this. yes i fold to the raise. mostly because you got a good size stack. i like to make my money w/out a showdown in the later stages of a tourney. or even w/out a flop if possible. you got enough of a stack to play on. i think you maybe ahead in this hand as they easily could have a flush draw. something like AQ w/the ace of spades make since here. but why even risk it? you would be risking a lot here for very little reward. you already got a good stack keep it. try to pick up the blinds is all.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most likely he was on the flush draw or maybe he also had a straight or straight draw. Either way it was a good fold, no need to risk your entire stack only to get outdrawed a board full of draws

W

Washout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Might been a bad call 3 diamonds showing u had none seen alot those flopped straights go down big he might hit a small 1 or had A or k for the draw thing ya made a good choice gl to ya .

B

bbc008

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is what he has.......A9 or A10
Ace is a diamond
he doesnt have a small flush.....
because anyways with the nut flush draw is gonna call.
so any good player should know he's not going to chase the nut flush draw out at this point!!!
he has the Ace Diamond....and he knows only he has the nut draw and nobody else.....
A huge bet there for.....will get everyone to fold!!
going all in with a small flush.....is just not gonna happen in a real tournament.....a freeroll maybe......but at that stage....everyone is playing REAL careful reading what the other people have.

2 weak calls at 1200...means they just have a pair.....and at that point, people will play only suited cards......so you either have it or you dont!!

so my analysis is he's got ACE high so far!!!!!

should you have folded your straight?????

there is no right and wrong in poker......only the last person standing made the right decisions!!!!!

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one bluffs in freerolls.. you weren't bluffing here, either. I'd be pleased as punch to call this. You don't have top pair, you have flopped the nut straight. If he's got the flush, so be it.

Raise the hijack when it's folded to you with any two cards.

L

letsdothis1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u gotta fold, most of the time when ppl raise on a flop like that they have a small flush and chasing out bigger draws. he could have the naked ace or some kind of 2 pair but i would not call all my chips there, if he was short stack i might call 1/4 my chips or lower. also i dont like the move at all of limping in with k10 in that position, if ur first to play never limp if its a super tight table maybe raise there but most of the time u shouldnt be playing that hand

i agree with this guy either he had small flush or naked A or even K he coulda had KT with one diamond as well i would fold to this large bet but would have called no more than 25% my stack

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not going to comment past the preflop portion of the hand because in my opinion, this is where the huge error was made. When blinds are this high in a tournament, you're either opening with a raise or you're folding... period.. end of discussion.
High Blind Limping is a huge leak in one's game. If you're first into the pot, raise... or fold!

XPOKERCHIC

XPOKERCHIC

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had a Ace of diamond I would say call a bet, but not all-in. Since you did not have a diamond at all, I say great fold. A straight with three diamonds is asking for trouble. X

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seeing that this is a freeroll, chances are alot of players pretty much suck. If he flopped the nuts, why would he shove, when he could milk you for your chips. He probably had a flush draw...if that. But like I said before, he probably was a terrible player, and I'm not sure if i wouldve called or not, need more info on the opponent to say for sure.

R

rozzz5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to believe he would push that hard with a made flush as you'd think he would want to get some value. I guess it's possible he had a made low flush and was just protecting against the redraw. But nevertheless, even though you probably had the best hand, there will be times where it's proper to fold what is probably the best hand. If he bluffed us, just tip our cap to him and move on to the next hand with our tournament life intact and plenty of chips to play with.

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dono about this one, pretty tough move here, u flop a str8, figuringn with his race he either has ak with a diamond, or flop the nut flush, but i doubt it, he would slow play if he did flop the nuts, so if i was in your positon either all in or call the all in, not likely u flop str8.

Dalsue214

Dalsue214

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, there are too many outs... save your chips since average is around 9-10k chips and almost place time... He has more chips than you so obviously if he had a diamond and got lucky or a runner runner for him.. your out. if he has trips and a pair comes... your out..

you could possibly tie... meaning hardly ANY profit...

Your best bet is to fold just to be safe! after all that time i would most likely want to keep my chips.. you can catch a hand and make up a couple blinds for what you lost and most likely some more... be patient! :) nice question,

P.S. the potsize is only 1 fifth of the average pot... its not really worth it

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO! doubt in that. you should have to fold in this case, coz its going to hit flush.He may be raised allin even for a drawing hand but anyway these pot is not yours and you no longer holda right card!!