$Freeroll NLHE: Was this the right fold?

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: Was this the right fold?

Dealer: Hand #19720668045
Dealer: keepdrawin posts the small blind of 20
Dealer: JEP712 posts the big blind of 40
Dealer: You have been dealt [Jh Jd]
Dealer: dudewhy folds
Dealer: irish0073 calls 40
Dealer: MrGreene calls 40
Dealer: lilmig66 folds
Dealer: buzzmania folds
Dealer: Fabiodirlei folds
Dealer: keepdrawin calls 20
Dealer: JEP712 raises to 200
Dealer: irish0073 calls 160
Dealer: MrGreene calls 160
Dealer: keepdrawin calls 160
Dealer: The flop is [2c Tc 6s]
Dealer: keepdrawin bets 80
Dealer: JEP712 raises to 350
Dealer: irish0073 calls 350
Dealer: MrGreene calls 350
Dealer: keepdrawin calls 270
Dealer: The turn is [9d]
Dealer: keepdrawin checks
Dealer: JEP712 checks
Dealer: irish0073 bets 1,100
Dealer: MrGreene calls 440, and is all in
Dealer: keepdrawin folds
Dealer: JEP712 folds
Dealer: irish0073 shows [Th Ad]
Dealer: MrGreene shows [Td Kh]
Dealer: Uncalled bet of 660 returned to irish0073
Dealer: The river is [Qs]
Dealer: irish0073 shows a pair of Tens
Dealer: MrGreene shows a pair of Tens
Dealer: irish0073 wins the pot (3,080) with a pair of Tens

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never fold overpairs early in a freeroll.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll, you must call.

You're problem is that you're actually thinking like a poker player. Most don't in a freeroll. I mean, McGreene OVERSHOVED and he didn't even have TPTK? Too funny. Regardless of not being results-oriented, you must call there in a freeroll.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ack this HA gives me a headache... next time pull it from hand replayer, go to the hand and top left corner and click on the hand's number, copy paste that and you're done, way better.

As for the hand...

you did a lot wrong (all related to one thing though) other than just folding :/ sorry, its a freeroll you have to play much more aggressive on all fronts, that seems to be your biggest problem and really a direct link to everything you did.

Preflop: 3 limpers and you have a high pocket pair, in a regular game I would raise up to 4-5 times the BB, you really want to induce folding here. As its a freeroll I would probably just shove right there.

Flop: All unders, in a regular game I would never have 3 other callers here, but since they all called your preflop raise I wouldnt think any of them have two pair here, a set is possible but I would still be shoving. If I got setted I'd accept that, a set is never folding and if I just raise I'll probably end up pot commiting myself before I can say for sure that he has a set.

Turn: MEGA SHOVE. There was a flush draw possibility on the flop, the turn did not improve for any flush draw, and it was another undercard! It puts a straight possibility on the board, but you're holding two of the jacks! Its damn near impossible in a real money tourney the way this was betted that anyone has a straight possibility, freerolls too.

The turn was your biggest mistake imo, this is where you should have played the most aggressive, but you checked-folded (I understand that you were worried at this point that you were beat, but honestly you're playing donkeys with a board that is beautiful for your hand, sometimes a pair, especially an overpair IS good... especially in freerolls lol.)

Aggression is the key to poker... your style at lower levels should always be TAG, tight aggressive, tight preflop and very aggressive postflop with good hands.

With time and playing your mistake will fix itself, just keep that idea of TAG style in mind anytime you play poker.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ack this HA gives me a headache... next time pull it from hand replayer, go to the hand and top left corner and click on the hand's number, copy paste that and you're done, way better.

As for the hand...

you did a lot wrong (all related to one thing though) other than just folding :/ sorry, its a freeroll you have to play much more aggressive on all fronts, that seems to be your biggest problem and really a direct link to everything you did.

Preflop: 3 limpers and you have a high pocket pair, in a regular game I would raise up to 4-5 times the BB, you really want to induce folding here. As its a freeroll I would probably just shove right there.

Flop: All unders, in a regular game I would never have 3 other callers here, but since they all called your preflop raise I wouldnt think any of them have two pair here, a set is possible but I would still be shoving. If I got setted I'd accept that, a set is never folding and if I just raise I'll probably end up pot commiting myself before I can say for sure that he has a set.

Turn: MEGA SHOVE. There was a flush draw possibility on the flop, the turn did not improve for any flush draw, and it was another undercard! It puts a straight possibility on the board, but you're holding two of the jacks! Its damn near impossible in a real money tourney the way this was betted that anyone has a straight possibility, freerolls too.

The turn was your biggest mistake imo, this is where you should have played the most aggressive, but you checked-folded (I understand that you were worried at this point that you were beat, but honestly you're playing donkeys with a board that is beautiful for your hand, sometimes a pair, especially an overpair IS good... especially in freerolls lol.)

Aggression is the key to poker... your style at lower levels should always be TAG, tight aggressive, tight preflop and very aggressive postflop with good hands.

With time and playing your mistake will fix itself, just keep that idea of TAG style in mind anytime you play poker.

Sorry about that. I actually tried though. I had an error which said: "Invalid Format". Don't worry, I read the rules! : )

C

camptain

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You raised. You were representing strength. The flop did not have any overcards and there was a flush draw. Since it was a freeroll and you were dealing with morons, you should have a) been all in after the flop to protect your hand and give holders of 2 clubs really nasty pot odds, or b) committed over half to 3/4 of your stack which would make you pot committed. The advantage of b) being they might actually correctly put you on a high pair and fold outright, where as option a) invites an impulsive call on a flush draw and just teases a suckout. If you choose option b) I would wait until the timer on your end ticks down at least 10 seconds so your opponents peanut sized brains have time to process information.

NeverFold

NeverFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're plaing in a freeroll, use your timer and assess the situation. Think of any possiblities or the outcome of the table play. Remember, don't ever ever fold an over pair cards. Just go with it. Call or Reraise.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry about that. I actually tried though. I had an error which said: "Invalid Format". Don't worry, I read the rules! : )

Weird... I'm not a HA expert though so idk lol.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposit?

I think as played, we're good here. I feel like if anyone had a set/overpair, the money would have gone in on the flop. It's never terrible to play it safe early, even though it is a freeroll, I guess.

Last edited:
O

ongkie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont fold overpairs. but dont overplay it. many ppl pllays any hand with an ace. so try seeing the flop to see if ur pocket pair is still good enough.

PokerProBetZip

PokerProBetZip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see any reason to fold there. I think your bet on the flop should have come out stronger. Had you done that your opponent may not have Raised the 1100 (a huge bet, but very effective in defeating the one player that would of defeated him). With the pot at 800 going into the Flop, an appropriate bet would have been 550+, not the measly 350 that appeared simply to be a continuation bet on the flop. Were I your opponent, assessing your bets, I would assume you had a pair or high cards that simply did not do well on the flop. I would call the small bet and await my virtually free Turn card.
Also, I don't understand why you checked on the Turn. That immediately gives the late position the advantage. If your going to exercise Continuation Bets then you need to do as the name dictates - continue them. Those bets maintain your dominance over the hand. On the Turn you simply gave it away, putting yourself in a position to question the value of your own hand. Don't set yourself up for a poor fold simply because you didn't provide a basic continuation bet.

Folding in Poker