$Freeroll NLHE: Right To Bluff

F

Fireblade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: Right To Bluff

Im on the button with AJs. 2 Players call leaving just me and the blinds. I decide to raise it up to 3.5BB(3600) . Im deep stacked at this point. Everyone folds except for one caller in middle position. Flop comes Q72.He checks, I have missed but decide to throw a continuation bet of 3600 again. He calls, turn comes a King. He checks, I at this point am thinking he has nothing, I decide to fire another bullet and put in 6000. He calls. River comes a 7, he checks again, I for some reason decide to check as well.

He turns over 9-7suited. I am like how the hell can you call me with that kinda crap.

Opinions on how I played the hand?

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your reads on villain? What is his stack size? What is your image? Also, are blinds 500/1000? Because 3.5*1000 = 3500.

If your opponent is a calling station, don't bluff into them. If they aren't going to fold any pair, there is no point in bluffing them. You should only be double barreling the turn if you have this guy folding to a turn bet after calling the flop bet. Just because you wouldn't make the same play in his situation, doesn't mean he can't do it.

If you're read on this person is that that they are a calling station, you should just value bet your good hands and play passively when you miss.

Given no further information, I would c-bet larger and check behind on the turn. Your c-bet of 3600 is roughly 2/5 of the pot and isn't enough. You should usually be c-betting anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot depending on the flop texture and how much you think your opponent would fold to.

Also, the "I for some reason decide to check as well" on the river is something you need to change. You need to have a reason for everything you do. As played, checking behind on the river is correct almost 99% of the time. Let's analyze the what may happen if you bet:

They have a worse hand then they will probably fold (a missed draw).

They have a better hand and they call/raise in which case you lose money.

They have a better hand and they decide to fold. This is the only scenario that you profit and is highly unlikely based on previous action.

Thus you should check. In general, by betting you either want a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call (this is very simplistic and is much more complex in reality). If betting is unlikely to accomplish either of the following, you should generally not bet.

F

Fireblade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your help

I checked at that point because I thought I was beaten basically.

Blinds are correct I estimated my 3.5BB raise. It was around about that. Villian had a very large stack but still had less than me. At this point I had about 35K and him about 22k. I was chip leader, generally playing tight and aggressive. He played way more hands than a tight player would, from what I saw would generally play any face card or ace.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thnik you played it very well until the 6000 bet after he called you on the flop. The continuation bet was good but people dont normally call a 3000 bet with nothing on the flop. But he played very risky pby calling you on the flop and on the turn.

J

Justboo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, people play that foolish all the time and are rewarded on the river! That is why they keep doing it. freerolls, of course, are the worst because people won't lose anything if they are eliminated

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well first and foremost you have mentioned you were "deep" stacked. How much of a hit would of you taken if you had pushed all-in on the river? I would of put him all-in on the river. He would be a real donk to call that kid of bet. Putting the life of his tournament on a 9 with a Q and K on the board. When you raised preflop his mindset should already be thinking A K, maybe A Q. More likely if you put him all-in he folds.

C

chigal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain had trips and would have called a shove on river so check behind was
the correct move. And, as WurlyQ stated re: possible outcomes of a river
bet by hero:
They have a worse hand then they will probably fold (a missed draw).

They have a better hand and they call/raise in which case you lose money.

They have a better hand and they decide to fold. This is the only scenario that you profit and is highly unlikely based on previous action.

J

jcbdx33

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe he was just varying his play and got lucky. He also may be very confident in his read on you, thinking you are trying to steal from the button (maybe you have done this a few times before and he noticed it)

G

godoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played it right, the only thing I would do if I know that he doesn't have nothing would be a higher bet on the turn, because I don't want to leave a chance to he see the river
but unfortunately there was nothing you could do on this hand
=(

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll I just call preflop even with a chip lead. Not going to get people to fold anyways, why build a pot with AJ? Then perhaps your tight image actual makes a bet on flop look stronger versus 4 other players. At least thats what I like during a freeroll. Good luck next time.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with wulyq's post. although i dont like the size of your pre-flop raise. you said there were 2 limpers. and we figured the blinds were 500/1000 so there already 3,500 in(if there is no blinds) so if you put anouther 3,500 in. the big bind gets very good odds to call(2.8 to 1) and so did the villian in this case. i usually raise 3-4BB's plus one for every limper. 3-4BB's + 1BB + 1BB = 5000-6000. also after your flop bet was called the villian has already put 1/3 his stack in the pot. he may of felt commited with his middle pair. so on the turn i would either shove putting him to a big decision for all his chips or simply check it hoping to catch. anothing thing i noticed is you got around 35BB's and the villian only 22BB's these are not deep stacks. these are acually medium stacks and the hardest size to play.

J

jonny17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your pre flop bet was to small and that gave the villan odds to call with his speculative hand also your continuation bet should have been bigger as you again gave him odds to call even with second pair he also probably thought you were trying to steal with this weak bet and after that he was pot commited so was calling any bet on the turn

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only good point in that play was the check on the end. The raise pre-flop is standard but needs to be bigger. You have the right to c-bet of course, and he is well within his rights to call on the flop with second pair, i would with such a weak c-bet. Maybe his call on the turn was questionable, but again your bet was weak. You need to play stronger if you want to push through bluffs. Of course you could have just quit after the flop or even on it. WurlyQ said it well about the river.

imasquare

imasquare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have checked the turn also, there where no straight draws on the flop and im assuming there where no flush draws either so it was more likely that he flopped something and you didn't have a good draw to semi bluff with and since you though he had nothing why bet the turn to only find out if he really has something or not is if he calls, so i think you should of just given up on the turn.

F

fatnestor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your first mistake was using professional betting tactics against a moron, then the next is not recognizing that he was a calling station and c betting, which only works on solid or tight players not passive loose idiots.

R

rubslotionskin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been in this spot many times in freerolls....2 ways ya could have played it...shipped it in on the turn to move him off second pair...or just shut down and give up the pot....i generally pick the latter(not being results oriented....being honest)

B

busey28

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
anger

anger explains it when you get a dummy at the table who just dont care or knows how to play it will never change and you just got to be carefull with it