$Freeroll NLHE: OFC Freeroll KK against SB re-raise

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: OFC Freeroll KK against SB re-raise

So early on in the OFC Freeroll, my table only has 3 live players indicated with the huge chip stacks compared to the rest of the table. I pick up pocket kings in position against the SB and come in for a raise. I decided to play sneaky against him and decided to call his reraise. After the flop goes check-check with an A, a 3rd diamond comes on the turn for a possible wheel and flush draw. Im not concerned about the ace or him having 2 diamonds, but im concerned about him having 1 diamond and a possible backdoor flush if he only has the draw.

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------
Full Tilt, 30/60 blinds NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker
UTG+1: 6,920 (115.3 bb)
UTG+2: 960 (16 bb)
MP1: 885 (14.8 bb)
MP2: 900 (15 bb)
Hero (MP3): 6,710 (111.8 bb)
CO: 960 (16 bb)
BTN: 1,050 (17.5 bb)
SB: 4,870 (81.2 bb)
BB: 1,270 (21.2 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is MP3 with K:spade: K:heart:
4 folds, Hero raises to 180, 2 folds, SB raises to 600, BB folds, Hero calls 420
Flop: (1,260) 9:diamond: 4:diamond: A:spade: (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks
Turn: (1,260) 3:diamond: (2 players)
SB bets 600, Hero ???

Did I play this hand too passively? and what should be my move on the turn?

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have thrown in a pot sized bet here on the flop, just to find out how healthy your Kings you are. If he's got the Ace then its a big enough pot to come over the top and take off you. If he hasn't, chances are he's folding with only 3 players active out of nine. More sense in him conserving chips and (virtually) guaranteeing a cash spot.
I dont see how your worried about a poss back-door flush draw. Neither of you has acted on the pot so its impossible to judge his strength. Fire a bet of a few hundred in (dont over-cook it with the blinds still so low!) and take it from there.
Your deep-stacked with over 100 BB's, so its no problem to lay Kings down if needs be. The flop showed an Ace after a nice exchange of pre-flop action, so there's no shame in mucking them.
How loose was the player and the table? Its only a freeroll after all. Would he have re-raised with Ace-any preflop, or any two suited, any connectors? Only you can put him on a range.
I think you may have lost the edge by not betting out on the flop to be honest.
I won a VERY similar hand with 9 10 suited after calling a raise, protecting my SB, then was allowed to see turn and river for free making me a runner-runner flush!
Always try to find out where you are in a pot. Bet your kings but dont feel committed to run all the way with them, meaning you should be able to fold to a raise representing the Ace. And if your fairly sure your ahead on the flop, and are worried that the odd's are then turning against you (like here with 3rd Diamond on the turn) you can have faith in your high pair and can (possibly!) buy the pot.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was thinking about betting the flop, but the only thing that stopped me was that he always made a continuation bet after raising/re-raising pf so him checking threw off my thought.

ill post what i did after a few more responses

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have surely at least thrown out a pot or 3/4 pot sized bet to see where you stood in the hand.

perhaps he really was on the flush draw and since you gave him the free turn card he figured he wanted you to pay him off once he hit it. .... or on the otherhand maybe he held QQ and thought a bet would scare you away from your hand =] haha

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a freeroll plus stack sizes and position I'd probably 4-bet this to 2K and would call a shove. Opponents 3-bet range will include a lot of hands that we dominate. We are 65-35 against AQs+,AKo,JJ+ and this range is a little tight given no reads.

As played I think I call that less than 1/2 pot bet getting 3-1 odds since we're a 55/45 favorite against his range. That small bet is either a donk bet to sweeten the pot or a tester to see if you slow played AA or have the flush.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Different senarios of the villian a) hit the flush or b) filled in his straight c) hit his set

a) Re-raising with a hand like AKd, or AQd, would seem very reasonable. But then why wouldn't he bet on the flop? Maybe he has you on AK and was worried about being outkicked. If that's the case, AQd or AJd might make more sense.

b) I don't think he is going to re-raise your PF bet with a 2-5, so he probably didn't make his straight. highly unlikely

c) Although a possiblility re-raising with a small pocket pair PF seems super aggressive. highly unlikely. If he would have just called your PF bet, I would kinda, sorta worry about it. He might have been sanbagging his AA and is now worried that you filled in your flush.

If you fold you have around 6,000 chips left which is still early in the tournament.

With all that in mind. I would fold. I would venture to guess he hit his flush with an AQd or AJd

Alternate play would have been to follow your original line of thought: put out a c-bet, giving a free card with a flush draw brewing is playing with fire.

Last edited:
A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i ended up putting him on a weak flush draw or a low pocket pair. unfortunately i wasnt thinking and instead of raising on the turn i called him and the river brought a weak diamond

out of the 5 hands he played with 4 flush cards on the board. he bet the pot and had a pocket pair, top pair top kicker, and bluffed the pot 3 times. (he was caught bluffing twice and lost the other 3 hands to flushes). 4 times he bet the turn and river after the flop was checked, and once he bet all 3 times (this was all against 1 opponent)

the possibility of him holding an ace was unlikely to this point as it he probably wouldnt have bet 1/3 into the pot knowing i could have a flush/flush draw. and alas as its a freeroll with weird donk moves coming left and right. i had some feeling that he was trying to bluff the pot on the turn and river.

i decided to call him and ill let you guys argue if im getting value on the move

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------
Full Tilt, 30/60 blinds NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker
UTG+1: 6,920 (115.3 bb)
UTG+2: 960 (16 bb)
MP1: 885 (14.8 bb)
MP2: 900 (15 bb)
Hero (MP3): 6,710 (111.8 bb)
CO: 960 (16 bb)
BTN: 1,050 (17.5 bb)
SB: 4,870 (81.2 bb)
BB: 1,270 (21.2 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is MP3 with K:spade: K:heart:
4 folds, Hero raises to 180, 2 folds, SB raises to 600, BB folds, Hero calls 420
Flop: (1,260) 9:diamond: 4:diamond: A:spade: (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks
Turn: (1,260) 3:diamond: (2 players)
SB bets 600, Hero calls 600
River: (2,460) 8:diamond: (2 players)
SB bets 1,800, Hero calls 1,800
Results: 6,060 pot
SB showed Q:heart: Q:club: (a pair of Queens) and lost (-3,000 net)
Hero showed K:spade: K:heart: (a pair of Kings) and won 6,060 (3,060 net)

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice result. That was the best scenario really, a lower but strong PP containing no diamond.
Should def have had a go at taking the pot off him on the flop/turn though.
I'm very surprised you called his 1800 on the river. If you were THAT concerned about the Ace or the flush, why not back out there?
Looks a very weak play imo, especially after flatting at every street and giving free cards which could have killed your KK.
Try adding a little more aggression to your game. This hand could have easily been taken off you, and crippled your stack.
Had half your chips committed, calling blindly, despite knowing that there were 13 single cards that had you massivley dominated, and any number of 2 card combinations.

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the read that you had on him and the way he had played so far, IMHO, you left some value out there as you probably could have stacked him.