$Freeroll NLHE MTT: What a decision with this hand to go all in or fold

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had AA preflop. Getting all your chips in was the only play.

Don't be results orientated.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would play the same way. No reason to fold here. The options were raise or shove. You always have to think before go all in preflop against someone who can kick you out in the bubble, but I think that AA is irresistible.

My action probably would be shove too, but it's just my opinion, not necessarily the best play.
You play was fair, just had bad luck.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont think of the results here but think of the ways you could have played the hand. To me, the only decision is here should we be 3 betting for an amount other than a jam or should we be jamming? We have 24 BB to start the hand with a raise in front of us. Our hand is top dog so definitely more chips going into this pot. I would never just flat here maybe at all but definitely with these stacks. If we min raise 3 bet here I think it looks nutted and also gives our opponent odds to draw out on us. If we 3 bet to something like 950 here then we are putting in 1/4th our stack and our opponent should know we are never folding. Jamming here in my opinion looks weaker than min raising and villain could put us on 88-1010 although there are shorter stacks so they might know something is up when we are willing to get it in with shorter stacks around. I guess this comes down to how attentive villain is and how much we think their head is in the game. I prefer just ripping here as I dont want to get cute with little stack behind. I might be giving up some value doing it but I like just getting it in here and seeing if the big stack wants to take a shot and getting their main competition out of the tourney.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ICMizer has you pushing 11% of hands in this spot. However Villain is only supposed to call with 7% of hands, and if he call with 96s, then he is calling more like 40% of hands. That change things a lot, and now the only profitable jams for Hero are QQ+. However the value of jamming AA actually goes up, when someone call to much, because AA is so far ahead of any other hand, that it overrides the ICM situation. So no this is never a fold in a million years, but AK would actually be a fold, and QQ would be very marginal. Or maybe you could select to play these strong but more vulnerable hands as a cold call and try to get to showdown without risking all your chips.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont think of the results here but think of the ways you could have played the hand.

The Villain opened to more than 3BB, and in that situation I would never 3-bet to another size than all in. So the only options are jam or flat. And while jamming worked perfect against this opponent, since we got it in with 80% equity, there could be some merit in flatting to try and induce one of the other guys to come along. If unsure I would always jam though, since this is the safe and easy option, and it protects me from getting headache on a board like this.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in for sure. Any other action in this case would be an indication for incompetent playing.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You had AA preflop. Getting all your chips in was the only play.

Don't be results orientated.

I would play the same way. No reason to fold here. The options were raise or shove. You always have to think before go all in preflop against someone who can kick you out in the bubble, but I think that AA is irresistible.

My action probably would be shove too, but it's just my opinion, not necessarily the best play.
You play was fair, just had bad luck.

Dont think of the results here but think of the ways you could have played the hand. To me, the only decision is here should we be 3 betting for an amount other than a jam or should we be jamming? We have 24 BB to start the hand with a raise in front of us. Our hand is top dog so definitely more chips going into this pot. I would never just flat here maybe at all but definitely with these stacks. If we min raise 3 bet here I think it looks nutted and also gives our opponent odds to draw out on us. If we 3 bet to something like 950 here then we are putting in 1/4th our stack and our opponent should know we are never folding.Jamming here in my opinion looks weaker than min raising and villain could put us on 88-1010 although there are shorter stacks so they might know something is up when we are willing to get it in with shorter stacks around. I guess this comes down to how attentive villain is and how much we think their head is in the game. I prefer just ripping here as I dont want to get cute with little stack behind. I might be giving up some value doing it but I like just getting it in here and seeing if the big stack wants to take a shot and getting their main competition out of the tourney.
I might be giving up some value doing it but I like just getting it in here and seeing if the big stack wants to take a shot and getting their main competition out of the tourney.[/QUOTE]I might be giving up some value doing it but I like just getting it in here and seeing if the big stack wants to take a shot and getting their main competition out of the tourney.[/QUOTE]

ICMizer has you pushing 11% of hands in this spot. However Villain is only supposed to call with 7% of hands, and if he call with 96s, then he is calling more like 40% of hands. That change things a lot, and now the only profitable jams for Hero are QQ+. However the value of jamming AA actually goes up, when someone call to much, because AA is so far ahead of any other hand, that it overrides the ICM situation. So no this is never a fold in a million years, but AK would actually be a fold, and QQ would be very marginal. Or maybe you could select to play these strong but more vulnerable hands as a cold call and try to get to showdown without risking all your chips.

Thank you all for your comments; if maybe I shouldn't have risked all my chips because I was 2nd in the chips and close to cashing. But the villain was very risky with that poor hand; which incredibly linked.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for your comments; if maybe I shouldn't have risked all my chips because I was 2nd in the chips and close to cashing.

Just because the runout was bad for you, does not mean, you did anything wrong. Its the same as regretting to fold 72, because the flop came 722, and you would have flopped a full house.

But the villain was very risky with that poor hand; which incredibly linked.

Actually 96s has more chance to crack AA than KK, so its not shocking, that this is going to happen from time to time. And yes he played poorly, but you would never complain about that, if you had won the hand. Mostly this hand is just a bad beat story. Your aces got cracked. Sucks but it happens to everyone, and its part of the game :)

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont debate this in your mind, played right and you cant control the cards. NEVER FOLD THIS SPOT

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should always be thrilled to get all your chips or money in preflop with AA. there are some weird scenarios when playing tourney satellites where that may not apply, but those situations are rare.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker