$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Should have re-raised the flop and fold to a shove?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

UTG+1 (t1,375)
Hero (MP1) (t1,895)
MP2 (t1,335)
CO (t2,450)
Button (t2,230)
SB (t1,670)
BB (t1,770)
UTG (t3,315)

Hero's M: 42.11

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A
heart.gif
, J
heart.gif

2 folds, Hero raises to t75, 2 folds, Button calls t75, SB calls t60, BB calls t45

Flop: (t300) 5
diamond.gif
, A
diamond.gif
, 9
spade.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t150, 2 folds, BB raises to t425, Hero calls t275

Turn: (t1,150) K
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t425, Hero calls t425

River: (t2,000) 6
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t845 (All-In), Hero calls t845

Total pot: t3,690

Results below:
BB had 9
diamond.gif
, J
diamond.gif
(flush, Ace high).
Hero had A
heart.gif
, J
heart.gif
(one pair, Aces).
Outcome: BB won t3,690

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold in flop when villain raise your bet, this very aggrasive move what call , because dont know nothing about villain only 8 hand ,you have 50 bb, this very big stack, what play only with top pair and bad kicker on whole stack , and will be hard call if again bets in turn. Better to find a other situation , than this.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With the flush draw out there I think you either have to 3-bet shove or fold to check-raise on flop. Being that it's a freeroll I would have probably shoved the flop when he raised.

If the villain is trying to take control of the hand like he is here, I think that continuing to call without the nuts or at least something stronger than top pair is a good way to lose all your chips, especially in situations where you can't improve to much better. You have to decide to either try to take back control of the pot by re-raising, or let it go and fold.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the flush draw out there I think you either have to 3-bet shove or fold to check-raise on flop. Being that it's a freeroll I would have probably shoved the flop when he raised.

If the villain is trying to take control of the hand like he is here, I think that continuing to call without the nuts or at least something stronger than top pair is a good way to lose all your chips, especially in situations where you can't improve to much better. You have to decide to either try to take back control of the pot by re-raising, or let it go and fold.
Very early stage what play on whole stack. All the same that it is freeroll not all players idiots what can raise only with second pair, this leak shove whole stack in flop and call too . In this situation, top pair bad kicker bad hand, because many opponents very LAG, and in showdawn be 2 pair , trips or top pair with better kicker.

And to think that villain have flush draw , we can not know this, it would be a big mistake if you think so ever ..

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His flop raise was to 425. What will you make it with your re-raise? 1000 or so? At that point, you'll have put in over half your stack on the basis that you think you're ahead of his range. If he shoves, does that shrink his range enough for you to fold given the pot odds you're getting?

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold on turn.. Call is really weak because if u call turn u need call river. Better if you shove on turn but not in this situation

jhonihgrass

jhonihgrass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the correct "fold" on the flop, I know it's hard, if you give the call on the flop, fold on the turn!

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would get it in on the flop (AJ is likely top pair best kicker on this flop, as we assume that villains will be re-raising us with better Ax preflop. If someone has A9, A5, 55, 99, higher Ax I think it's a cooler.

I think we should definately give up on the turn, we're ahead very small percentage of the time.

On the river we're getting a great price to which some would argue you can't fold but I wonder how often AJ is good here, given the line taken by villain - in combination with the fact that we're getting such a good price on our call on the end card.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
could make a bigger raise preflop, but i would have fold after the reraise one the flop was displayed, there were too many options to lose against three villains at the same time, one of them could hit a set, or the flush, or two pairs, so a top pair is not enough much of the times in a multiway hand

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ is weak in a freeroll imo but people have opinions, and i wouldnt ever fold AJs preflop there so seeing a flop is absolutely acceptable. For this one here, u gotta fold the flop. That is the correct play i'd say. Ur hand might be good 65% of the time here, its a random number but just saying maybe over half the time you're ahead, much better to fold this early too in a MTT, but u kinda have to improve/dodge big percentage hands. Figured I will share my freeroll opinions with u as i tend to constantly run deep on quite a few networks.

Folding in Poker